I'm sorta itching for a pedal. Not that I have loads of money to burn, but the potential sort of keeps knocking on my door. But is it a waste of money for a n00b who isn't playing in an experimental pop band? The loop pedal sounds intriguing for someone like me who plays alone and would love the idea of getting a jam going... But I have no clue as to which to buy. So, yay or nay? 
Are there other pedals not covered by the amp?
without knowing waht amp you have and what sounds you are looking for can't really answer you. looper pedals are cool if you want to say play a rhythm pattern into it and then play a lead over it as it repeats. 
Quote by monwobobbo
without knowing waht amp you have and what sounds you are looking for can't really answer you. looper pedals are cool if you want to say play a rhythm pattern into it and then play a lead over it as it repeats. 

I have a cheapish Vox VT20X amp. As for sounds it ranges from heavy, rock to more experimental Throbbing Gristle-ish sounds.
But yeah, basically what attracts me to loops are the idea of laying down and rythm and playing lead over them. Or learning to play leads, basically.
You already have a modelling amp with loads of effects, they don't tend to take external effects very well.

That said, if you're looking for a relatively cheap looper & something else you can experiment & practice with, you can't go wrong with a Zoom G3.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a Digitech JamMan Stereo looper/sampler it's great for playing alone, several samples can be layered over one another and with the addition of an SD card 99 presets can be stored to access through pedal which allows you to scroll threough the presets witht the footswitches. they are not cheap but very versitile.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by reverb66
Get a delay pedal with a loop function. Looping is a novelty that can wear off quickly, at least this way you end up with a delay pedal if you stop using the loop function.

But will the delay pedal work differently than the delay function on the amp?