I know there are some massive fans of his on here, and probably know more about him than I ever will! If you guys can think of any good questions, put them down and I'll choose some to fit into the interview.

Anything related to his gear, techniques, career, personal life... anything really!

The interview is for a company called Backstage Secrets: http://backstage-secrets.com/

Thanks!
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
Just in case this question ever actually gets asked or it hasn't already been answered:

Why did he choose to get Ibanez to make the JEM and not Jackson/Charvel, given he was playing Charvels before he had any involvement with Ibanez?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just in case this question ever actually gets asked or it hasn't already been answered:

Why did he choose to get Ibanez to make the JEM and not Jackson/Charvel, given he was playing Charvels before he had any involvement with Ibanez?

Probably cause Ibanez would endorse him and do what he wanted and Charvel wouldn't/had too much of a wait time.

Could be other reasons though.

Ask him what it was like to lose a guitar duel to the Karate Kid.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
T00DEEPBLUE Good question! Will definitely include that. Fire away if you have any more. Will let you know when we publish it

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
Voodoo Labs PP2
Steve supposedly used a Les Paul to play one note on the Whitessnake album he did. would love to know what possessed him to do that. i asked him which song years ago at an autograph session and he couldn't remember the song title but since that was rushed he didn't have time to think about it. 
Ask him if there is anything artistically he doesn't feel he's accomplished yet that we could look forward to in the the future? ( acoustic album, album without distortion, live performance at a given venue, collaboration etc.)
1. His collaboration with Sepultura - does he plan guesting on their new albums or working with some other extreme metal bands lately?

2. What does he do to improve his rhythm chops?

I've always felt that he could work well in that context, at least for a song or two.
Ask him where we can get a copy of the album he did with Ozzy.
"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." -some dude
Any bands he would like to play with? Or any bands he would have liked to have been part of at any stage of his career?
Favorite food.

also what does he watch on Netflix.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
favorite brand of stage fan? it's like he's on a wing of an airplane everywhere he goes.

lol at schooled by ralph machio.

i've heard he's a pretty cool guy, i shouldn't be such a dick.
Quote by gregs1020
favorite brand of stage fan?  it's like he's on a wing of an airplane everywhere he goes.  

lol at schooled by ralph machio.

i've heard he's a pretty cool guy, i shouldn't be such a dick.  

I feel like he'd appreciate those questions.

I mean if I had a ton of obsessed fans asking what gear I was using 24/7 thinking theyll be amazeballs after they buy it and then a guy asks me if I wipe sitting or standing I feel like that might be more meaningful.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I interviewed Primus once which I think is better. I did have an opportunity to interview Steve Vai when he was in town but I didn't really want to to be honest. Anyway, ask if it's true that the song SYL by Strapping Young Lad really does stand for Steve, You Loser and if the song is taking shots at him. Also ask him how it felt to be out shredded by 19 year old Devin Townsend every night and how it felt losing a head cutting session to the karate kid. Ask what brand and model fan he uses to blow his hair and if they endorse him and is he contractually obligated to use them.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

He explained that story on his youtube channel recently, it's mostly because Ibanez were extremely accomidating to his needs and put a lot of efforts into prototyping for him, with the eventual design resulting in the Jem and the RG model.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by Bigbazz
He explained that story on his youtube channel recently, it's mostly because Ibanez were extremely accomidating to his needs and put a lot of efforts into prototyping for him, with the eventual design resulting in the Jem and the RG model.

K thanks.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
TheLazer
Ask him to expand on his philosophy of "how you look at life matters", seriously one of the best things I've heard from a musician.
Quote by theogonia777
Also ask him how it felt to be out shredded by 19 year old Devin Townsend every night and how it felt losing a head cutting session to the karate kid. Ask what brand and model fan he uses to blow his hair and if they endorse him and is he contractually obligated to use them.

Ehhhh, the jury's still out on that one, from personal experience, Devin is a huge pompous a&*hat, Steve has actually been a very down to earth and gracious guy when he spent time with his fans, I just happened to be there that night since it was a $15 club show (early 2000s). He honestly blew me away seeing him at a club stage up close, after I saw him at a huge amphitheater with the G3 tour, where I wasn't very impressed. Too much delay for my taste, but in the club it sounded much tighter as I was almost in front of his amps.

I think he had Mike Keneally at that point opening for him and then doing a full set with Vai, and the guy maybe had better chops and everything and Steve was anything but supportive. He has (had?) Tony Macalpine in his band, who is also a virtuoso and and an equal and they got along great for how many years?

He also picks new talents and helps them out, look at the music he did with Orianthi. Granted, Orianthi IMO is not very good and probably he got paid really well to plug the holes (pun intended) in her musicianship.
I had to look that Karate Kid reference up as I thought it was a real thing, I was confused... how could Ralph be better than Vai?
I think Steve Vai is amazing, in interviews he seems like a regular guy not much ego there, and he gave an interview and spoke about how you look at life really matters, it was a turning point for him.
I think that's something a lot of people should hear, it resonated with me.
Quote by diabolical

He also picks new talents and helps them out, look at the music he did with Orianthi. Granted, Orianthi IMO is not very good and probably he got paid really well to plug the holes (pun intended) in her musicianship.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by diabolical
33db the rockers are just getting old, so they have to get retrospective.

Yeah... "getting old" what other reasonable option do we get besides "getting old".
Ask him about Carvin/Kiesel guitars.  Seems strange to me that he uses Carvin amps but won't play their guitars.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Interview is underway! Good god can he talk for hours. An hour in and we're only half way through!

I'm going to have sore fingers after typing this up  

Voodoo Labs PP2
Interview is underway! Good god can he talk for hours. An hour in and we're only half way through!

>
I'm going to have sore fingers after typing this up  

http://imgur.com/a/ntwxt

Voodoo Labs PP2
Last edited by TheLazer at Mar 16, 2017,
Quote by gregs1020
favorite brand of stage fan? it's like he's on a wing of an airplane everywhere he goes.
It's Honeywell

It's just after 5:40 in this video.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Steve once mentioned he's gonna design an FX unit that responds to your brain waves that will change the tone of your guitar just by 'thinking' about it. Any guess as to the estimated time of arrival for this unit?
Quote by diabolical
Ralph is better than Vai, he beat him fair and square, actually Vai beats himself on that guitar duel

nope! common misconception. ry cooder played the machio parts.

which would make for a cool question, "what was it like to work with Ry Cooder?" i'd like to know that, big Ry fan here.