Budget: Around $500 new, but I'm flexible. 
I'm fine with used or online.

So I've been playing guitar for a few years, but I can't really write music besides blues, rock, metal, that kind of stuff. I wanted to get into more general music writing like soundtracks or VGM, so I guess I would need a MIDI keyboard? I'm not quite sure how it all works. I haven't really played piano before, but I'm committed to learning so I'd like something that would stick around for a few years and not make me want something less entry level. 

I don't know the differences between different keyboards, so sorry if this is really vague.
Suggestion 1: Ask in the right section.

Suggestion 2: Google.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
There's no keyboard section under instruments. 

And I did, but I really have no idea about the keyboards I find just by Google searching.
Your best bet is a MIDI keyboard, yes. That way you can play any VST you like.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: A bunch of forced listening by my composition teacher... some great stuff by Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt...

GTA V! ... the 120th game of the franchise.
Quote by zack7521
There's no keyboard section under instruments. 
>And I did, but I really have no idea about the keyboards I find just by Google searching.

Try here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

What do you need to do with the keyboard? What features do you need to do what you want to do? You might be able to get away with something as simple as a Masterkey 49 or something much more in depth depending. FWIW I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 32 key controller.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Try here:
>https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
>
>What do you need to do with the keyboard? What features do you need to do what you want to do? You might be able to get away with something as simple as a Masterkey 49 or something much more in depth depending. FWIW I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than a 32 key controller.

Oh, okay, thanks!

I dunno what all features come on keyboards. I don't really need anything excessive, but don't want to be missing something big and end up wishing I had it.
Quote by zack7521
Oh, okay, thanks!
>I dunno what all features come on keyboards. I don't really need anything excessive, but don't want to be missing something big and end up wishing I had it.

Well again, what do you want to do with it? Do you just want something to play keys with or do you need triggers and pads to do sounds outside of just the keys? If you just need a 'keyboard' so you can play 'keyboard' on your tracks then find the cheapest one that works for you. If you need something that you want as a serious composition tool then maybe you need to research more, figure out what you need out of this thing and then ask the question again when you are more comfy with what you need.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
yeah man most people would probably recommend getting a mechanical keyboard as they tend to be the sturdiest 

you can get differently weighted switches it just depends on your typing style and personal preference really 
Quote by kalypto

yeah man most people would probably recommend getting a mechanical keyboard as they tend to be the sturdiest 
>you can get differently weighted switches it just depends on your typing style and personal preference really 

>
>
Just dont get MX Blues unless you want everybody to hate you in the vicinity 

>

>
Romer G life

I like this new post system. Totally not broken when you do edits
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 16, 2017,