Marshall DSL401
2 11%
Blackstar HT20
1 6%
Other
3 17%
Voters: 18.
Hey guys,

I know I posted something about buying a new guitar some time ago, but then I realized that I should probably get rid of my POS solid state amp first (the gain is f***ing terrible on it).

So here I am lost again.

My budget is $600

The amps that I'm considering right now are (any opinion on them would be appreciated):

Laney VC50
Marshall DSL40C
Marshall DSL401
Other suggestions are welcome

I am looking for a classic metal tone (Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc.)
I don't plan on gigging any time soon, so the amp is just for jamming with some friends and practicing alone
I've been playing for about a year now and this is going to be my second amp
I don't have any pedals
I am willing to go used

Thank you
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Last edited by lenivy at Mar 18, 2017,
Laney
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Peavey classic 30. You can get them for around 300 used. The clean channel sparkles and the lead channel should do classic metal just fine. You can always throw a pedal in front of you need more gain.
Since the Laney VC50 is pretty rare in the US, I might have to go with something else. Any thoughts on the Marshall DSL series?
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
randefahey I guess it's a pretty good choice, but I heard that they aren't that good for heavy metal stuff. But I might consider it
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Quote by lenivy
randefahey I guess it's a pretty good choice, but I heard that they aren't that good for heavy metal stuff. But I might consider it

It would definitely do Sabbath and some of the earlier priest stuff on its own but may need a little bit of a boost from an od pedal to do some of the later priest stuff.
guitarsngear There are quite a few, which ones should I look for?
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
^ the higher gain ones probably- the 50 and 100 watt heads, the 50 watt 1x12 combo (not the 2x12, different circuit) and the 22 head and combo (2 channel).

just to point out in case you're not aware, the blackstar is hybrid.

i'd have thought the laney (if you can find one) or the marshalls should work too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc Yeaaah, I played a blackstar at a guitar store today, it sounds depressing. 

There is a JCA5012C for sale right now for $309.99, is that a good price?
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Dave_Mc

Tangent: on the JCAs, what about just heads?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Marshall dsl15, it'll sound better at low volumes and still have plenty of power for jamming.  40-50 tube watts will be %&*#ing loud.
I'm just asking myself if your budget is limited, are you better off buying a good SS or an inexpensive tube amp? I've no idea what the answer is, especially for your genre. Maybe someone knowledgeable can comment. I have an inexpensive tube amp, a V1 Epi VJ, but I've done a lot to it to get it up to speed.
lenivy just dont buy cheap marshall version they're totally crap... I go to blackstar HT20 if i were you...
Quote by datresults
lenivy just dont buy cheap marshall version they're totally crap... I go to blackstar HT20 if i were you...

The MG amps are considered in poor regard here. I'm not sure if the CODE line has a head, but Marshall has only recently introduced them.

If you consider used, you can score a Peavey 6505+112 combo well within your budget.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
bjgrifter MG not a Marshall that just crap amp made in india or vietnam... I own JMD 100 that that still bring marshall's sound legacy... But it build like shit in china poor Tolex, cheap PCB, cheap Pots... That why never never never buy cheap marshall... That not marshall that just craps with marshall brand...
Last edited by datresults at Mar 18, 2017,
Marshall DSL 40 if classic metal is what you want. I haven't played one but Gary Holt of Slayer is using a DSL100 in his tours so that speaks pretty well for the DSL line. 

I, myself, prefer Peavey voicing. Any version of the XXX, JSX, 6505+ would fit the bill nicely. 
bjgrifter I was looking at some Peavey 6505+ combos and they seem pretty nice for the price. But I'm guessing Peaveys (5150 and 6505) are made for more modern metal rather than classic stuff.
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Yup. I missed the classic part. If you want a combo, the DSL40C should fall in your budget, and bit closer to your needs. 
Also, if you like that Jet City 5012c, the price is pretty good. I've seen 'em used around $350-ish on GC.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by lenivy
Dave_Mc Yeaaah, I played a blackstar at a guitar store today, it sounds depressing. 

There is a JCA5012C for sale right now for $309.99, is that a good price?

New or used?

I'm not that well up on USA pricing, but doing a direct conversion that's £250, so if it's new that's pretty good I think. They're out of stock here both at Thomann and the Jet City UK store, so I have to go on memory, but I think they were about £300 new here (which is itself a pretty good price).

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dave_Mc

Tangent: on the JCAs, what about just heads?

I'm not sure what you mean?
Quote by hnoel0981
Marshall dsl15, it'll sound better at low volumes and still have plenty of power for jamming.  40-50 tube watts will be %&*#ing loud.

Not necessarily. The 50 watt Jet City has the rep of sounding better at very low volumes than the 20 watt version.

Lower wattage just means it'll break up slightly earlier- but that's still at really, really loud volume levels. It doesn't really tell you about really low volume (e.g. home) performance. It's more the difference between small gig and large gig volume levels.
Quote by lenivy
bjgrifter I was looking at some Peavey 6505+ combos and they seem pretty nice for the price. But I'm guessing Peaveys (5150 and 6505) are made for more modern metal rather than classic stuff.

Yeah very much so. The 6505s are classics, but they're very much very high gain, modern metal-style amps.

I mean, even the Jet Cities are maybe a little modern for the tones you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If we want to talk about 5150/6505 technically they aren't designed for modern metal as such. The amp was designed in the early 1990s for Eddie Van Halen and is based off of the Soldano SLO100 design, so you can't really call it a modern amp these days. That said it has been most popular in really high gain metal stuff from Nu Metal downtuned stuff, to Death Metal and modern Djent bands due to it's really high gain compressed sound that holds clarity and definition well for fast rhythms with low tunings, bands like Machine Head and earlier Arch Enemy come to mind for me as that typical 5150/6505 sound.

While Eddie Van Halen used the amp, when most people think of his sound they think of his cranked to the max Marshalls from the late 1970s and early 1980s, which are pretty much the opposite in characteristics to the 5150/6505, the Marshalls had a more brighter mid focussed sound with a saggy crushed sounding bottom end (almost like a fuzz pedal) from the reduced voltage variac.. and then later his Soldano SLO sound. And you have the 5150III which is a more refined sort of midway point between those eras, not as wild and untamed as the Peavey 5150/6505.

Good amp with a lot of history, being a realist don't buy one if you're not playing super high gain metal, or if you want a decent clean channel or some sort of flexibility, there are amps that do a better job. A 6505/5150 does one thing really well, it's a sound a lot of people love but it's not a particularly versatile amp.

Edit : As for your options, I'd probably look at the Blackstar personally. I've only limited experience with the DSL but they are very high gain while lacking a little in dynamics, it's a modern more compressed Marshall sound which could be exactly what you're looking for but I always found them uninspiring to play through. I've only played the Ironheart from Laney recently and I really liked it a lot, versatile and sweet with dynamics that lend it to being able to cover many genres.. I was playing a Fender Custom Shop 60s Strat through one about 2 weeks back and it was eating up everything from Country, Texas Blues to full on Rawkk. Didn't feel as high gain as a DSL.

You just have to play some amps and buy the one you like lets be real here, we all have different tastes/styles/requirements.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 18, 2017,
Dave_Mc

You mentioned the 112 and 212 combos had different circuits, so I was curious about the heads.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

^ DSL is definitely not so high gain as mentioned, it does get blues/crunch, it has been used by Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, etc. With an overdrive it could get raunchy but it way lower than the 6505 for high gain.

Funny thing about Eddie is that ever since he moved on to the 5150 line, his tone hasn't been as iconic as on these old records.
You just have to play some amps and buy the one you like lets be real here, we all have different tastes/styles/requirements.

I can't really play 'em all because the Laney and the DSL401 are discontinued and music stores don't have them anymore. So I have to go by your guys' opinions
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Quote by Dave_Mc
New or used?

Used. Brand new is about $600-$700
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Quote by diabolical
^ DSL is definitely not so high gain as mentioned, it does get blues/crunch, it has been used by Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, etc. With an overdrive it could get raunchy but it way lower than the 6505 for high gain.

Funny thing about Eddie is that ever since he moved on to the 5150 line, his tone hasn't been as iconic as on these old records.

The new DSL's arent the same as the old ones though, I'm sure they aren't the same because the one I played recently was an absolute gain monster.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Bigbazz But I'm also considering an older DSL, the DSL401 (JCM2000 combo)
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
The newer DSL is a bit hotter, but can still deliver the crunch of the old one, it just opens up a bit more. The professional videos done on both are actually accurate, so pretty much what you'd hear on Youtube is how they sound.
You can skio about the first 3-4 mins of BS as these guys always do bunch of idiotic faces, but the rest is pretty much well done:

Personally, I'd rather own a Brit-made Marshall, so DSL401 out of the two, you can always get more gain with overdrive pedal if needed.
If you go for a Laney budget for a speaker swap, they often use Celestion 70/80's, which are horrible speakers. As mentioned before, DSL401 is British made, the DSL40C is made in Taiwan/China, so probably why they sound different. 
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
diabolical 
Quote by diabolical
You can skio about the first 3-4 mins of BS as these guys always do bunch of idiotic faces, but the rest is pretty much well done:

I love those guys
Overdrive me daddy

Guitars:
Epiphone G400 Custom
Yamaha F335
Amp:
Marshall DSL401
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dave_Mc

You mentioned the 112 and 212 combos had different circuits, so I was curious about the heads.

Oh I see what you mean.

As far as I'm aware (from not having tried them, just from what I've read, I've only tried the 50 watt head which I own), the 50 watt and 100 watt heads and the 50 watt 1x12 combo have the same circuit (apart from the extra wattage in the 100 watter). the HDM 100 watt head has the added depth mod and half-power operation, but apart from that I think it's the same as the regular 100 watt head (but I could be wrong).

The 22 head and combo (2-channel ones) have the same circuit as the heads too, but I think their loop is in a better place (after the entire preamp) and the power amp is different, being lower wattage.

As far as I'm aware.

Quote by lenivy
Used. Brand new is about $600-$700

Oh ok. I guess, it depends. I don't think they're as good value in the USA as in Europe for some reason, so that might still be a decent price. On the other hand, I think they occasionally come up on MF's stupid deal of the day for quite a bit less, so it might be worth holding out for that?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks, Dave.

^ No problem. They could definitely name them a bit less confusingly. I'm pretty well up on which is which, and any time I recommend them in a thread I have to go to the jet city site to check I've got the right name for the specific amp I'm suggesting
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?