Hey guys,

>
I'm in the market for a new head. Currently have Fender Super-Sonic 60W head, find it lacking in some ball-sack. 

>
I'm looking for suggestions with something that is versatile but mainly alt-hard rock sounding. 

>
I've been looking at a JCM 800 2203. Not a fan that its 1 channel, find the cleans are kind of blah, killer distortion. An Orange Rockerverb Mkiii, cleans I really like.. distortion, I dig but a little muddy.

>
Can someone suggest some other heads that possibly sit in the middle of these two. Just a fat, crisp, hard rock sound with excellent cleans and OD that will sit well in a mix. (FInd the orange might not pop or get lost in a full band mix).. Budget around 2-3 grand

>
I'll be running through an Orange 4X12 (Celestion Vintage 30's) using mainly Gibson Les Paul Classic, then Fender Strat and Tele.
Last edited by quentincarter.1990 at Mar 16, 2017,
Carvin's V3M, V3, and Vai Legacy amps are in the wattage range you seek, can probably get you the tones you want, and are all priced under your budget's base. You'd have money for some sick pedals to play with as well.

I just picked up an Orange TH30. Should do the heavier side just fine, but may not clean up enough for you.

Mesa's discontinued 100w Royal Atlantics have all kinds of versatility, and like the aforementioned Carvins, are well under your price range...mainly because they're all used.

But Mesa recently introduced a new 50w amp that is probably helping to depress the RA100 market because its feature list and demos make it look like a RA100+, despite the lower wattage. That would be the Triple Crown. As I recall, those don't exceed your budget basement either until you get it as a combo version with upgraded tolex colors.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
See if you can get your hands on a rockerverb mk1. They used 6v6 power tubes. A beast of an amp. The evh 5150iii may be something to look at also. If you're in the states, give the splawn quick rod a look at. There's lots of good choices out there. Try going to a music store a play a few amps to see what works best for you.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
5150 III

Mesa Stilleto Deuce or Trident

Peavey JSX - actually 120 watts, but I think you'd love the sound.
Last edited by Xander_X at Mar 17, 2017,
Quote by red.guitar
See if you can get your hands on a rockerverb mk1. They used 6v6 power tubes. A beast of an amp. The evh 5150iii may be something to look at also. If you're in the states, give the splawn quick rod a look at. There's lots of good choices out there. Try going to a music store a play a few amps to see what works best for you.

damn! I agree with everything. i love my mki Rockerverb, splawns are great (mine are kt88 though)
5153s are also great.

look into a mesa rectifiers, rivera ktre, even a mesa mkiv.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Randall 667.  Cleans, to vintage, to high gain... 6 channels.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Big +1 for Rockerverb and Rectifier, particular the Roak King/Roadster.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Thanks guys... i looked into most of the ones mentioned and keep coming back to the rockerverb.. anyone had any experience with them in a band environment.. do they mesh well ?
From my experience (never owned one, played with guys who have) they are awesome for a band mix. Thick and massive sounding, but still plenty of cut.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Really eh.. i went and tried some out today.. no rockerverbs in stock

Anyone try out the TRIAMP MARK 3 ? Tried one out today sounded pretty killer... tried the orange OR50 too wasnt a huge fan
quentincarter.1990 JCM800KK would be great if you love JCM800 sound but need extra sound from it.. I just modded my JCM800KK so "The Beast mode" can be switched from the footswitch... Its not that expensive mods to have...
Quote by quentincarter.1990
Thanks guys... i looked into most of the ones mentioned and keep coming back to the rockerverb.. anyone had any experience with them in a band environment.. do they mesh well ?

my rockerverb will cut through anything. they sit great in the mix with everything i have tried. cleans on the rockerverb are also very nice. it is pedal friendly and to boost it (when needed) it loves the hermida audio zendrive. just adds some more badassary to it.

i must say that my favorite rockerverb (i have tried a bunch) but i ove my mki 50 watt because of the 6v6 power section, just a little more nasty.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Have you checked out the Marshall JVM410hjs? Very versatile amp, killer hard rock tones, great cleans.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
Havnt tried the mentioned marshalls.. ill check em out though. Dont know much about mods though.. if it has good cleans ill have to look into it! Just find the marshalls i have tried the cleans wernt great. Maybe just picking the wrong ones
trashedlostfdup

Ya eh.. sucks everywhere i go, nobody has any rockerverbs to try out.

The 6v6 are better than the el34s tho? Been reading a lot of people think the el34s r better.. theres a mki nearby i can grab used for 1000 canadian which is pretty good. Was debating that or just getting the new mkiii... does the mki have an effects loop tho ? From what i gather it doesnt. I like to run a lot of delay flangd chorus and verb in certain parts of my playing, so was hoping to have one
trashedlostfdup

Also.. have you tried the 100 watt version? Read some ppl say has different tone ? I gig medium to large sized venues..definitely not any big stadiums or anything extreme so the 50 watt would be enough dont ya think ? Everything always miced anyways
rectos will strip any ball sac of its wrinkles 

oranges have the power section of Jesus 

marshall.. DSL 
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by quentincarter.1990
trashedlostfdup

Also.. have you tried the 100 watt version? Read some ppl say has different tone ? I gig medium to large sized venues..definitely not any big stadiums or anything extreme so the 50 watt would be enough dont ya think ? Everything always miced anyways

I have tried the 100, Mark 1 and Mark 2 and they're very nice. The 6v6 50 watt is my favorite. the 6v6 is just a little nastier, fits the bill perfectly for me. The Rockerverb mk3 does have better reverb and maybe better cleans, but I am happy where I am at. the cleans are great in all of them though. I actually use the clean channel with some pedals for blues. sounds great too.

Tried to check out as many videos as you can. do as much research as you can.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
quentincarter.1990 Well I own quite a few amps, and I must admit I'm more of a "just go with the classics" kind of guy, meaning I'd probably go for the 2203. If you want something a bit more versatile though, well then thats a different story.

I personally own a 3 channel Dual Rec, which fits what you've described, but with that being said if you're looking at British amps, I don't think that will be your cup of tea either.

One amp Im not sure if anyone has suggested yet, is the Blackstar series one. I had one in my studio for 2 years or so and honestly it was like a Swiss Army knife. It runs on 4 KT88s which means 200watt total output, which you can dial all the way down to 25 watts with a built in attenuator.

Over here in Australia they're pretty pricey, but in the USA I think they're even cheaper than Marshall JVMs and Dual Rectos. The only reason I haven't bought one of my own is because like I said, I'm not really a Swiss Army knife amp kinda guy, but if I was this would be my weapon of choice.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50