What is that black gunk I clean off my guitar strings everyday when I done practicing?

Page 1 of 2
probably dirt and oil from your fingers. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
[insert metal your strings are made of here] oxide and grime from your nasty hands.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
[insert metal your strings are made of here] oxide and grime from your nasty hands.

You can't see it but my hand is flipping you off.
idk you probably need a new amp
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

it's guitar wax

save it up and once you have enough lather yourself with it in the bathtub and it will improve your tone significantly
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
The tears of your audience.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Black gunk
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Res.  You can smoke a bunch of that shit after a while.  If you have a semi-hollow even more of that shit builds up.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Smegma
"It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war"
oil ur rich
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by k.lainad
idk you probably need a new amp

I don't know why I've never noticed this before, but from now on I'm pronouncing your username "clay nad"
IDK I don't have a sweat problem my strings don't really gunk up like a lot of other players that I know, I wipe them down afterword but no black gunk.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by ultimate-slash
I don't know why I've never noticed this before, but from now on I'm pronouncing your username "clay nad"

I read it as "K. D. Lang" the first few times.

I've decided the black gunk is magical mascara from a metal fairy.
I hear if you leave your old strings under your pillow the metal fairy leaves a piercing set.
Your broken dreams
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by 33db
It troubles me deeply.

It really is called gunk... It's what I know it as; it's what it was called when I learned about it - it's called gunk; Gunk is the build up of all the salts and fluids that your hand secretes over time - Gunk of course does not help your fret wire and can alongside a lot of guitar playing, cause damage like fret-ware - When you see gunk, it's time to get new strings for fear of hurting the frets as you play..
Cure; Just take off the old gunky strings, clean the fret board of any gunk, make sure the frets are okay, and put on a set of fresh new strings. 
Last edited by treborillusion at Mar 20, 2017,
Quote by Masquirina
Stop pooping on it, for one.

heh heh heh.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by 33db
So yeah been playing Elixers now and no more black gunk, weird...

yeah I used to play with shitty china strings and noticed that they were more susceptible to getting dirty. Elixirs also have that coating which is nice. No idea what the difference between polyweb and nanoweb is though. It's also useful just to have a bottle of lemon oil, helps clean and condition fretboard. 
- earth,wind, and fire
hecks
I was using Ernie Ball slinky's (cheap) and D'Addario's both would get this build up, switched to Elixers and when I clean there's nothing there.
I think sweat must be reacting with the other strings or something about the Elixers is slippery like teflon and the stuff can't stick.

So you use lemon oil on a rosewood neck?
Quote by ultimate-slash

My brain simplifies it to 'k lad' even though I know thats not right

Is that something people call him? I honestly forget
Quote by 33db
So yeah been playing Elixers now and no more black gunk, weird...

I'm not surprised Elixers don't have the same reaction.  That coating is the real deal.
Last edited by drdoom8793 at Mar 27, 2017,
Quote by drdoom8793
Are they the coated Elixers?  I'm not surprised the gunk doesn't stick to the coating.

Yeah nanoweb coated currently, and I have some polywebs but haven't used them.

There's nothing visible on the rag when I clean now, nothing.
Prior to the Elixers this black gunk came off, even if I only played for an hour or so.
Last edited by 33db at Mar 27, 2017,
Quote by 33db
hecks
I was using Ernie Ball slinky's (cheap) and D'Addario's both would get this build up, switched to Elixers and when I clean there's nothing there.
I think sweat must be reacting with the other strings or something about the Elixers is slippery like teflon and the stuff can't stick.

So you use lemon oil on a rosewood neck?

Yeah people overuse it and start realizing the negative parts of it but only use it sparingly enough to condition your guitar. Some people I know use it instead of Fast fret(Im surprised no one mentioned GHS FF) which they shouldn't do. 

Also you should use GHS FF.
- earth,wind, and fire
Quote by hecks
Yeah people overuse it and start realizing the negative parts of it but only use it sparingly enough to condition your guitar. Some people I know use it instead of Fast fret(Im surprised no one mentioned GHS FF) which they shouldn't do. 

Also you should use GHS FF.

I was using finger ease to help preserve strings, I no longer have to with the Elixers.
I read up on Lemon Oil, should be used sparing once in a great while, and some players state they have never used anything on their 60's and 70's era guitars and bass.
One comment that caught my eye was that there are a lot of "lemon oils" that are really some other low cost oil scented with lemon, turns out health food stores sell pure lemon oil with no additives.
Anyone interested in lemon oil might want to take a look at those.
33db
Most "lemon oils" are just scented mineral oil, and that's absolutely fine. Anybody who says otherwise can fight me irl.
Quote by whoomit
33db
Most "lemon oils" are just scented mineral oil, and that's absolutely fine. Anybody who says otherwise can fight me irl.

How does your wood feel?
Quote by whywefight
My brain simplifies it to 'k lad' even though I know thats not right

Is that something people call him? I honestly forget

That will be my default response to his posts now

"What's that?

k lad"
the black gunk is a bunch of bits of your soul seeping out your fingertips

also, that coating on elixers also dulls response, feel, and dynamic variances, elixer strings suck ass imo
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
keep it up brother
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by Acϵ♠
the black gunk is a bunch of bits of your soul seeping out your fingertips

My soul is a mauve color so I doubt that.

also, that coating on elixers also dulls response, feel, and dynamic variances, elixer strings suck ass imo

I'm not getting that, they sound great, in fact they sound "fuller" than the D'adarios I had on before, they stay clean and every time I pick up the guitar it's that "new string feel".
I did poke around on the Net looking for reviews of the strings, I found 1 that agrees with you and several others that swear by them.

I wonder if it isn't something in tandem that has the effect you're speaking of, like certain PUPs.
For me, I'm sold, it's worth the extra price for how long they last and they sound great to me.
Page 1 of 2