So I want to have a phil collen sound and I want a steve vai sound when I switch to neck pickup. I know barely anything about pickups and going to have somene else install them. I am replacing the two humbuckers I have right now. So should I get both or just both evo pickups. Help will be very appreciated.
What amp do you have?

Putting a set of pickups in the guitar with Steve Vai's name on it is not going to magically make you sound like Steve Vai.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE I understand that but I am just wondering if one would be like louder than the other. I am wondering if you could mix the both of them I seen somewhere where one may be louder than the other and wondering if that is an issue.
rock2decore It depends on how you set the pickup height.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
does phil collen not use the super 3 these days? but i guess it depends on whether you want older or newer collen.

pretty much the same thing regarding vai- which era?

i haven't tried the combo myself but i don't see why a collen-style bridge pickup with a vai-style neck pickup wouldn't work- assuming you want those tones only from each pickup, there should be no real problem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc I don't know but I did see a video of him only showing off the super distortion 1. Looking for the classic passion and warfare era. Thanks for the info I will definitely go with the super distortion and evo pickup now.
The combination will be fine, should mention that Passion and Warfare was recorded before the Dimarzio Evolution was released, Steve Vai was using PAF Pros on his Jem 777, and a lot of that album was recorded on Universe 7 string guitars.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
^ Yeah, bingo. That's kind of what I meant about the Vai era (and he's got several more signature Dimarzios since the Evos, which he's used on various newer albums).

The evo neck pickup doesn't sound miles away from the Paf Pro, it's a similar idea (except ceramic), but if you know P&W is the era you want, I'd go with the Paf Pro. It's a little more versatile, too, being alnico it sounds more like a classic-style pickup, so it's kind of win-win- better suited to the Vai era you want, and also better suited to other styles of music, too. The evo neck pickup isn't actually all that hot, despite being ceramic- it's actually, if dimarzio is to be believed, marginally less hot if you go by the mV readings- but it does sound a little more modern in tone, being ceramic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Output would be fine, but what could be off is that the EVO neck is designed for the EVO bridge, which is brighter than a Super Distortion, so the EVO neck might be a bit bright for the Super D. I'd go PAF Pro in this case.  
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
^ I doubt it'd be a massive problem- I have a neck evo in a charvel with a tone zone bridge, which is fairly dark... darker than a super distortion (from memory, but i could be misremembering ) and they pair up just fine. And the PAF Pro is fairly bright, too (though probably a little softer-sounding, being alnico).

That being said, a lot of it is preference- I like brighter neck pickups. Someone who doesn't may well have problems, as you said.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rock2decore
T00DEEPBLUE I understand that but I am just wondering if one would be like louder than the other. I am wondering if you could mix the both of them I seen somewhere where one may be louder than the other and wondering if that is an issue.

I don't think it's an issue. There's no great need to have the two match in volume. 

In fact, until the mid '80's or so, there was no such thing as a "matched" set of pickups; both pickups were exactly the same, and that automatically meant that the bridge pickup wasn't as loud as the neck pickup. It wasn't a big problem then and it isn't one now. I have several guitars that actually have a much louder neck pickup than a bridge pickup; I tend to choose based on sound rather than volume. 

The main reason we have "matched" sets of pickups now is that it gives manufacturers another advertising bullet point and it helps aftermarket pickup vendors sell two pickups instead of just one. 
Last edited by dspellman at Mar 20, 2017,
Quote by dspellman
I don't think it's an issue. There's no great need to have the two match in volume. 

In fact, until the mid '80's or so, there was no such thing as a "matched" set of pickups; both pickups were exactly the same, and that automatically meant that the bridge pickup wasn't as loud as the neck pickup. It wasn't a big problem then and it isn't one now. I have several guitars that actually have a much louder neck pickup than a bridge pickup; I tend to choose based on sound rather than volume. 

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/