Anyone doing this?
I was checking out this site.
http://thejukejoint.com/bulguitstrin.html
$125 for 48 sets light gauge, if I bought the cheapest brand online with packaging it comes to over $200.
Wondering if anyone used a site for bulk strings with a wider variety than the site above.
Ever notice your strings come in hermetically sealed packages? You'll have to do that yourself unless you want 1 fresh set and 47 dead ones.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Ever notice your strings come in hermetically sealed packages? You'll have to do that yourself unless you want 1 fresh set and 47 dead ones.

Didn't think of that, there would be a way to store them of course, but good point.
These come as bulk with each gauge stored in a single resealable package.
http://www.juststrings.com/dad-exl110-b25.html?productid=dad-exl110-b25&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=JuststringsCSE&gclid=CMHapOvI4NICFZBafgodkn0CBQ
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I recall ordering some in the past and they came in a long plastic tube, you pulled one out when you needed it.
That said I don't think strings "go bad", they may get tarnish of sorts if exposed to damp air which you could simply wipe off.
Nothing "magical" about guitar strings.
Quote by 33db
I recall ordering some in the past and they came in a long plastic tube, you pulled one out when you needed it.
That said I don't think strings "go bad", they may get tarnish of sorts if exposed to damp air which you could simply wipe off.
Nothing "magical" about guitar strings.

Guitar strings definitely go bad. I've got some friends on Malta who have a helluva time getting a set of strings that isn't pre-rusted...in the original wrappers, direct from the store. I eventually sent them fresh strings in a ziploc VCI bag (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor).

If you're going to store strings for any length of time, put them into a VCI bag or into a sealed container with a VCI emitter. One source: http://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/ -- a 9" x 12" bag will run about $1 (might as well buy 20 of them at a time and save the shipping costs). If you're buying tubes of strings, buy a single "rifle" bag and put all of the tubes inside. 
Quote by dspellman
Guitar strings definitely go bad. I've got some friends on Malta who have a helluva time getting a set of strings that isn't pre-rusted...in the original wrappers, direct from the store. I eventually sent them fresh strings in a ziploc VCI bag (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor).

If you're going to store strings for any length of time, put them into a VCI bag or into a sealed container with a VCI emitter. One source: http://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/ -- a 9" x 12" bag will run about $1 (might as well buy 20 of them at a time and save the shipping costs). If you're buying tubes of strings, buy a single "rifle" bag and put all of the tubes inside. 

Malta, surrounded by salt water, yes then they go bad.
Store with some silica packets and clean off the oxidation (if there is any).
Quote by 33db
Malta, surrounded by salt water, yes then they go bad.
Store with some silica packets and clean off the oxidation (if there is any).

I'm in Los Angeles, very close to salt water, but that's not the only issue. 

If there's enough noticeable oxidation on the strings that you have to clean it off, you no longer have new strings. 

I discovered VCI emitters when I was looking for something to help with guitar hardware corrosion, and realized that my gun collection (erm...if I had such a thing...ahem) had been in VCI bags for a long time. Blue guns are only slightly more corrosion resistant than straight iron.  Guitar hardware is susceptible to corrosion due to dissimilar metals setting up electric currents, and to items like nitrocellulose finishes and cellulose-based plastics outgassing nitric acid, etc. Pickup coil wire is easily and progressively corroded if you're sweating into open coils and moisture finds its way into micro-holes in the coil wire insulation. 
VCI emitters actively help reduce metal corrosion AND finish changes. 

Silica packets help keep guitar strings dry, so it's an additional precaution that's not a bad idea.
Quote by dspellman
I'm in Los Angeles, very close to salt water, but that's not the only issue. 

If there's enough noticeable oxidation on the strings that you have to clean it off, you no longer have new strings. 

I discovered VCI emitters when I was looking for something to help with guitar hardware corrosion, and realized that my gun collection (erm...if I had such a thing...ahem) had been in VCI bags for a long time. Blue guns are only slightly more corrosion resistant than straight iron.  Guitar hardware is susceptible to corrosion due to dissimilar metals setting up electric currents, and to items like nitrocellulose finishes and cellulose-based plastics outgassing nitric acid, etc. Pickup coil wire is easily and progressively corroded if you're sweating into open coils and moisture finds its way into micro-holes in the coil wire insulation. 
VCI emitters actively help reduce metal corrosion AND finish changes. 

Silica packets help keep guitar strings dry, so it's an additional precaution that's not a bad idea.

Los Angeles has salty sea air and heavy air pollution.
The thing is nickel and stainless steel are both resistant to oxidation, I clean my weapons and store them in softbags never had an issue with corrosion/oxidation.
I live in a dry area with only periodic humidity.
The guitar strings I use are stainless steel strings, and nickel (not sure if that's a coating or solid through).
I appreciate the tip on VCI emitters, haven't heard of those.

I guess the gist of this thread is that I think individually packaged strings are wayyyyyyy to much money, so I am looking around to solve that issue.
Currently bulk strings are the only solution that I've found, but they are not individually packaged.
guitarkid8
Once a week now, trying Elixrs seeing if they last any longer.
Yes I clean them after every session, yes I clean the fret, yes I wash my hands.