First off, I suck at guitar maintenance.  Never no what to look for.  I've been playing for years and consider myself a professional.  So do most people.

Just got a beautiful Music Man Majesty with the Silver Lining finish.  I love it looks and how the body feels.  Not 100% sold on how it plays or sounds.

It came with Ernie Slinky 10s.  Going to replace it with D'Addario NYXL 9s.  So I'm curious if I'll need to remove a spring, mess with the claw, etc.

Also, I'd like to lower the action.  Thoughts?  Please help.
Anytime I have changed factory 10's over to EB Super Slinky 9's on floating Floyd Rose's all I've had to do was adjust the springs a tiny bit. less than a quarter turn of each claw screw and that's usually it.  This is with 3 springs, you can even get away with 2 springs with 9's.  If your guitar has 4 springs, I would ditch one of them for sure with the 9's and set it up with only 3.     
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Mar 19, 2017,
Way Cool JR. Thanks for that. Very helpful, Way_Cool_JR. That being said:

What should I look for on the guitar to know I've adjusted the claw correctly?
Last edited by jamesharmonmu at Mar 19, 2017,
You must ensure that the baseplate of the bridge is running parallel with the plane of the body with the strings fully stretched in and the guitar to perfect pitch.

You may also need to check the neck relief, the action and the intonation. of the guitar with a change in string gauge. In that order.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Why not take it to a pro to have it set up correctly?? If you suck at guitar maintenance, get a Great Initial Setup and then just change strings when you need to. 

Along the way, buy a book called "How to make your electric guitar play great" by Dan Erlewine. Best $20 you'll ever spend on your guitar.  Assuming you read it, of course. No other way to apply the knowledge within directly to your guitar. As far as I know.
It's also been my experience that moving from 10-46 to 9-42 on a trem guitar requires some minor adjusting to the claw screws, and perhaps a slight tweak to the neck relief, though I tend to not be quite as worried as some about this, so long as my neck is not dangerously bowed in either direction I tend to go by feel, making tiny adjustments as I see fit.

T00DEEPBLUE mentioned some good pointers, and dspellman's suggestion to get it setup professionally the first time is a good idea as well given you are somewhat of a novice, and the guitar in question is definitely deserving of a good setup.  In addition to the book dspellman mentioned, there is also a plethora of videos on YouTube demonstrating some good practices for setups, but you need to be careful with following anything you see in a video too religiously, as everyone has their own methods and idiosyncrasies when it comes to setups.  Sifting through what works for you and what doesn't is a process, but it can be an enjoyable one.

Always remember, make adjustments slowly.  Take your time, and don't make any adjustment that you fear might damage your instrument.  Guitars aren't terribly complicated mechanically speaking, intuition and some common sense will get you far. 
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
dspellman

I agree I am capable of setting up a guitar changing strings gages on a Floyd etc. I can do it it is a pain and takes forever sometimes. When I buy a guitar (typically used) and it is out of whack I will have a pro set up done the first time then handle it myself from there.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

The floating piezo is surprisingly simple. Put on the nines, tune up. Turn the screws in the back to add tension a couple times, retune, etc. Rinse and repeat until your baseplate is level with the guitar body and you're in tune.

Trems are t hard, just tedious.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER