Hi!
I currently have a Roland Cube 20GX and I am planning to upgrade my amp.
I went to a store and tried 2 amps ie

1) Peavey Vypyr VIP 2
2) Laney Ironheart 15H (Tube Amp)

I was told by many of my friends to go for a tube amp but honestly I noticed a very minimal difference and that was'nt worth the extra cash and hassles. Now dont get me wrong, I am just a beginner and maybe my ears are'nt developed enough to hear the differences.

Just want some suggestions on whether is it worth to go for a tube amp?

PS: I mostly play metal and my current guitar is an Esp Ltd Ec 256 (Looking to upgrade the pups If I get the tube amp)
Last edited by cyruseternity at Mar 19, 2017,
cyruseternity if you choose Peavey Vypyr that not upgrade , that only switching brand.. Becasue it also digital amps, same as your Roland cube that will not bring lots differences ...
Try a Blackstar HT-1.  
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
When I first started I was the same way.  I started with whatever cheap guitar and amp I could get.  
Years later I bought a Marshall tube combo amp and said to myself "I wish I bought this earlier"

of the two you mentioned I'd go with the Laney.  
I prefer nothing less than a 12" speaker.  I find most 10" speakers to lack low end.    

Last edited by Gosss at Mar 19, 2017,
Quote by Gosss

of the two you mentioned I'd go with the Laney.  
I prefer nothing less than a 12" speaker.  I find most 10" speakers to lack low end.    

Meh. It's not the size of the speaker that determines low end. Too many guitarists listen with their eyes. 

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8's (8" LF driver, 1" tweeter, 100W power amp in each) studio monitors, and they have more and better bottom end than most of the cheap 12" speakered practice amps around. A ton of bass amps use 10" speakers and have for years. The Ampeg SVT 810 "refrigerator" is a staple. Phil Jones still uses arrays of 5" speakers for his bass cabinets (http://philjonesbass.com/product/16-h-bass-horn-speaker/ ), and they handle up to 1600W. 

And finally, check out the Crazy 8 and Crazy 88 bass cabinets (one and two 8" bass speakers, respectively) for small and intimate gigs. They'll handle electric bass and acoustic bass, but they're full-range speaker cabs that will also handle keys and modeled guitar. http://www.barryaudiodesign.com/crazy-8s.html
Both use the Faital Pro 8PR200 8 inch driver with an xmax of 8.15. Mike Arnopole builds some pretty amazing bass cabinets using 6.5" bass speakers: http://masoundworks.com/manage.numo?pid=18&module=shopping_cart&component=catalog&ob=slot_9
For bedroom practice your little Cube isn't half bad,   It is what it is, A bedroom practice amp,   Making the jump to a 1x12 combo or head and cab set up takes you into gigging amp territory,  Although I wouldnt be caught dead gigging with a Vyper 2,   But for bedroom practice a little overkill.  And a 15w tube way overkill,  1w to 5w is more than sufficient,  and depending on speaker used could still be overkill.   Don't confuse wattage with volume,  Meaning a 5w tube with a high efficiency speaker can seriously piss your neighbors off once you get it to the point of, Tube amps? Oh.. I get it now,   At low volume you wont notice much difference between a Solid State and Tube, Its not till you start pushing a tube amp to tube saturation do we hear and feel a difference,   yes I said feel,  As once you do get it you notice a tube reacts a little different to the way you play,  Meaning pick attack, hammer on, pull off , bends and such wont sound and react the same through a pushed tube as they will a SS,  Face it Tube amps are ancient technology but there's a reason they're still around,  They may be able to get an SS to sound pretty damn close but they just cant get them to react and feel the same,   Me? I use both and both have they're place,  Although not banished to the bedroom for practice more often than not I find myself using SS amps or even PA and flavoring with various processors, peddles and computer software while in experimentation mode,   If playing live and in my element of Blues Rock expect to see a cranked up tube amp,  Peddles and processors?  No, not likely. 
Quote by diabolical
Laney by a very large margin. I'd see if i can go up to the 30 watt version Laney Studio.
Why just these 2? What style? We could possibly recommend something more suited.

Well! I am from India, so there are only a few models available here.
As mentioned earlier I mostly play metal and my budget is nearly 50000 INR that is roughly around 500-600 USD.
Look at the IRT Studio instead of the IRT 15W. The Studio has 3 channels.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Definitely go for tubes man.

When you say "bedroom" though do you mean only bedroom playing or possible gigging later on down the track? Reason being is although it doesn't seem likey much, a 15 tube amp is still freaking loud.

My personal favourite small tube amp is the Vox AC15. Great cleans, classic rock crunch. Also blackstar are great if you want a bit more versatility or a more modern sound.

Also you could look into buying second hand. For example old Marshall DSL 401s are very common and very affordable, with more than enough power to play small-mid sized shows.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50
Personally, I would prefer the Laney. That is just the head though so do you have enough money to buy a cabinet?

But I think it really depends on the amps you are comparing when it comes to the tonal difference between a tube and solid state. For example, obviously there will be a difference between a Marshall DSL40 and a some cheap solid state practice amp. It depends on the money you spend as well. Would you rather have a high end solid state amp or the lowest end tube amp? I feel like we're comparing apples to oranges here. 

It also depends on the amp's purpose. Are you going to play live or just a hobbyist? Since I don't play live anymore, I really don't care. For home use, I am fine with a solid state as long as it sounds good. Basically, get what is right for you. Play it. If it sounds good, buy it. Don't worry about what other people think.
Last edited by meateatingvegan at Mar 20, 2017,