Hi guys.

Do you have any tips for making the sound as 'full' as possible when playing unaccompanied guitar, so it sounds as exciting as possible and not just 'empty guitar alone?' Being in a band seems so freeing but I don't know any musically inclined people in my area yet so for current gigs I get it's just me. I mostly do songs that don't have a lot of instruments needed in the first place (y'know, blessings like The White Stripes) but like... what about stuff that needs lots of picking? How best not to make it sound empty? Any tips?
If you're playing songs (with vocals), then your best bet is concentrating on the rhythmic feel (how you approach the chords) ... breaking out into a solo, unaccompanied, is probably not going to work well for an audience... though you can try adding melody notes into the chords, with double stops, stuff like that.  Or adding different chord voicings.  Feel is everything, really.
Quote by jerrykramskoy
If you're playing songs (with vocals), then your best bet is concentrating on the rhythmic feel (how you approach the chords) ... breaking out into a solo, unaccompanied, is probably not going to work well for an audience... though you can try adding melody notes into the chords, with double stops, stuff like that.  Or adding different chord voicings.  Feel is everything, really.

+1 try different chord voicings. For instance a 5 chord might sound better for a rhythm rock guitar accompanied by a second guitar playing harmony but playing the full major chord would make the chord sound a lot bigger on its own.

The question you are asking really depends on a lot of things. First off how you are actually playing like jerry suggested. But it also comes down to the style you are playing - what kind of amp are you using? What's the sound setup?

For instance when I run sound at my church every now and again we go acoustic for worship with 1 guitar and 1 vocal. I will split the signal to stereo, add a little reverb, bump the eq around 500ish a little and we are good to go.

So in summary:
1) Learn to play chord voicings that work best when playing solo
2) Make sure you have the proper setup when it comes to sound

Hope that helps!
Kevin