So I'm looking for a new(used) amp and I need some suggestions. I'm coming from a Fender Mustang II combo and I've decided I want to upgrade to a real tube amp.

Most of the music I play is 90s Alternative & Grunge. Stuff like Soundgarden, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, etc.

But I also have been playing some more hard rock and even a bit of metal lately, so a good amount of gain would be nice. 

Cleans are pretty important to me. I'd really prefer a guitar that has a gain/volume control on the clean channel so I could get that slightly dirty sound without having to crank the amp up. 

So far the amp's I've tried were:

Blackstar HT-20. Meh 

Peavey Classic 30. It was pretty good but the clean channel wasn't versatile for me

Not a fan of any Orange Amps. 

Marshall DSL Series. Ok so awhile ago I played through a half stack with a DSL100H and I totally loved it. Great cleans, great classic rock sounds. Almost bought it but it was out of my price range lol. Recently I played a DSL15C and it was "ok". Idk it just didn't sound a as good as the DSL100H, but those are a bit too big for me. I'm mostly playing in the garage, where I can crank it up but not too much. 

Also a long ass time ago I played through a used Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber head + 2x12 cab and I thought it sounded perfect for my tastes, but it was out of my budget at the time. I looked them up and I've seen a couple in the $500-800 range. Any thoughts on these? Also looking at the Studio .22+, Mesa DC-5, and F-30 amps. 

So far the only amps I've played through that I actually liked was the Marshall DSL100H and the Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber. I went to my local GC and they literally had nothing. Just a bunch of Line 6, Fender, and Orange stuff.

Any suggestions. I've been looking at DSL amps and old Mesa stuff on eBay but I'm not sure on what to do. 
What exactly do you want in a 'clean' channel? 

The Peavey Classic series has a nice clean channel.  The gain channel would work well for what you like to play as well.  The biggest downer on that amp is the stock speaker kinda makes it sound like you're playing through a blanket.  Upgrade from the stock speaker and the amp sounds much better.  
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
you could find a used mesa rectoverb if you look. nice amps, loud as you would ever need.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ThunderPunk
What exactly do you want in a 'clean' channel? 

The Peavey Classic series has a nice clean channel.  The gain channel would work well for what you like to play as well.  The biggest downer on that amp is the stock speaker kinda makes it sound like you're playing through a blanket.  Upgrade from the stock speaker and the amp sounds much better.  

I want something that can have both very clean sounds and also slightly dirty sounds. Not sure how to describe it
Carvin V3M or V3 could do it, and used Vai Legacy heads sometimes pop up at that price. I know there's a Legacy 2 on Reverb for $599 right now.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You might want to look at the new release of an old goody - the EH Mig 50. You'd have to pair it with a 2x12 cab, so it might get a bit over budget but it'll be worth it.

Check out DSL40C - not as small sounding as the 15C, some other amps to look at Laney LC30 and LC50, Mesa Express 5:25, Cavin V3 or V3m.
Honestly when I read the title I thought the DSL would be perfect.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
When you say 90s I immediately think Marshall JCM-900. The later models got a bad rep for marshalls choice of cheaper Russian tubes, but the early model mkiii's came stock with EL34s and sound amazing. 

The JCM-900 SLX is also another great alternative. Very different and more modern sounding than the MKIII, but with a pure tube signal path, it's awesome sounding.

Also PS: if you're going to buy a DSL, buy an old british made JCM-2000 rather than the new Chinese made ones. Just make sure you don't buy a TSL though; I've owned one in the past, and currently own a DSL100 and it makes the TSL sound like a mushy piece of junk.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50
diabolical Yeah man! I've played a great sounding TSL100 that had been modded, and had had the stock trannys replaced with mercury magnetics, but this was all pre JVM era. Not sure why you'd ever want to go down that route now, unless like you say you got one cheap as.

DSL's are very cheap too though. Got mine for about half market value because one of the preamp tubes was on its way out and was making a campfire sound. definitely pays to know what you're looking for and to be patient for a good deal.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50
I own a Mesa DC-5 and it is capable of almost anything if EQed properly. Keep an eye out on Reverb and you have a good shot at one in your price. Ignore the Gratuitous Questions everyone is Asking you. They do that to Everybody.Im starting to think its some sick joke.

The Mesa will not need mods, just standard maintinance and ive had mine for 20 years, Rock Solid!
Last edited by BADGAS at Mar 22, 2017,
Quote by BADGAS
I own a Mesa DC-5 and it is capable of almost anything if EQed properly. Keep an eye out on Reverb and you have a good shot at one in your price. Ignore the Gratuitous Questions everyone is Asking you. They do that to Everybody.Im starting to think its some sick joke.

and why should he be listening to you?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Try a Marshall DSL40C, EVH 5150 III combo or a Hugh and Ketner Tubemeister combo.  
I got my DSL40C for $350 on CL (bargained down from $400). Should be easy in your price range with patience. Hell I've seen $600 (your budget) new on sale local, well + tax of course. That was at Sam Ash week or two back.
IDK Man, I think your tone is where you find it,  I've bought, sold and horse traded so many amps over the years I lost count,  Some I wish I never let go of and others good riddance, Its just how this game is played,  Not to mention changing preference and always searching for that sound,  
 If you like the DSL and old Mesa's  then by all means that's what you should buy,  And one nice thing about buying these used amps is you don't really loose money if you decide you don't  like it, Turn around and put it back up on EBay, 
 I love EBay, Its where I find the old amps I wish I never let go,   In fact just scored a Kustom 72 Coupe in pristine condition,  Should be here in a few days then I can proceed with my mods to it,  Loved that amp, But what a killer horse trade I made with it at the time,  
In other words this is a trial and error thing, What sounded good at the music store may not in 3 months of playing with it,   Its how the game is played, 
Last edited by nastytroll at Apr 5, 2017,
Soundgarden used Peavey VTM as one of the amps on Badmotorfinger, and that's what I'd recommend at this price. No clean channel, but a ton of balls and tone for the money.