So I use a Marshall DSL40c, a Gibson Les Paul Standard, and an MXR Super Badass Distortion. I know how to set up my gear perfectly, but for the past week, I can't seem to set up a good lead rock/metal tone. I mainly play lead and take over solos, including sweeping, and I usually am able to get a good sound, but lately I can't seem to get a good tone that is good for both shredding and some solid rhythm.

I would like to have a slash type tone, or a Marty Friedman tone, basically something that isn't too bright but not too bass, if that makes sense.

I'd also like to add that I've played live dozens and dozens of times, including playing at summerfest in Milwaukee and in Chicago at a couple of clubs as well, so I know the difference of tone up on stage and tone in the audience area.

I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks!
2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T (Tea Burst)
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (Black Cherry)
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro (Honey Burst)
Last edited by NHRoccodog at Mar 19, 2017,
I use a DSL40, LP and Badass. I set the 40 on red channel with gain at 2 o'clock and all tone around noon. I keep res and prez at 9 o'clock.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Try using the MXR as moreso a boost rather than a standalone drive pedal if you have not already. Get the amp about where you like it gain-wise for the crunch/rhythm tones, then use the MXR to boost it some into higher-gain lead territory. You do this by keeping the gain of the pedal low, but the volume high. Be sure not to scoop mids.
Sorry to say this but I think you're destroying a good to great drive channel with a subpar distortion pedal. I'd just try overdrive and eq pedal options instead and discard the Badass to the pedal bin. I'd say try a Budda Zenman or a Mesa Bottle Rocket, set the tone knobs to darker sounds, or experiment with a MXR eq pedal in the fx loop set for a boost and a darker eq curve.
^ yeah something in the tubescreamer or sd1 camp is usually a better idea for lead tones.

i wouldn't bin the distortion, though- it might be fine for other types of tones (more rhythm ones).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Tubescreamer and MXR EQ are both great options. I would try the ts9 first. Also, what speaker does your DSL have?
^ good call on the speaker
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
diabolical I barely ever use the gain channels ๐Ÿ˜‚ I use the clean channel with crunch and then I use the MXR
2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard T (Tea Burst)
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 (Black Cherry)
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro (Honey Burst)
NHRoccodog - having that gorgeous gain channel and using solid state distortion for the most part does this amp a huge disservice.
See if you can switch to the gain channel for a rhythm tone that you're after and maybe try the MXR Badass to put you a touch over the top or just get an overdrive/eq. If you're dead set on staying with the Badass - try an eq pedal in the fx loop and set it for different tonality and a slight boost for solos.

TBH, I've listened to the videos on the Badass and there's just something that sounds plasticky to me. If you want that kind of pedal and to stay on the clean channel, I'd suggest Carl Martin Plexitone. It is a gorgeous organic pedal along the range of drive of the Badass, but it has probably another dimension in sound that you're currently missing. It also has a built in lead boost:
Set up the amp for your rhythm tone and use the distortion pedal as a boost. You want to have the gain low on it and volume high to have more of a clean push without adding clipping. Too much distortion will actually make your tone sound muddy and drowned in the mix. Bring out the mids also. It'll make you stand out. The other thing I recommend is a delay pedal set to about 2 repeats and low mix to fill up your sound in between notes. A Carbon Copy would be perfect for this. It's dark enough to not get in the way and easy to find at a good price used.

Edit: I see a lot of people recommend a tubescreamer, and while pushing the mids is a good idea, I personally don't think they work too great with Marshall amps. They're already pretty mid heavy and a tubescreamer will only emphasize that (use one on a Fender though... different story) making it a bit overkill. Plus, you already have a drive pedal that can pull that off due to its eq capabilities.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Mar 21, 2017,
Quote by evening_crow
Set up the amp for your rhythm tone and use the distortion pedal as a boost. You want to have the gain low on it and volume high to have more of a clean push without adding clipping. Too much distortion will actually make your tone sound muddy and drowned in the mix. Bring out the mids also. It'll make you stand out. The other thing I recommend is a delay pedal set to about 2 repeats and low mix to fill up your sound in between notes. A Carbon Copy would be perfect for this. It's dark enough to not get in the way and easy to find at a good price used.

Edit: I see a lot of people recommend a tubescreamer, and while pushing the mids is a good idea, I personally don't think they work too great with Marshall amps. They're already pretty mid heavy and a tubescreamer will only emphasize that (use one on a Fender though... different story) making it a bit overkill. Plus, you already have a drive pedal that can pull that off due to its eq capabilities.

I have a Fender HRD and a Marshall DSL40C and I think that the tube screamer works better with the Marshall. The TS9 is a one trick pony with the Fender, sounds great for leads and other over drives sound better for most other uses. The TS9 (and also the Boss sd-1 works similarly but I prefer the )works in every situation with a Marshall from tightening the bass for heavy riffing to pushing the mids for lead tones. Another great pedal that works with both is the MXR M133 Microamp.