Hey so I put up a thread where we were talking about amp heads for around 1200 and I pretty much narrowed it down to getting a used mesa roadster saving a lifting bit and getting a orange rockerverb used or saving even more and getting a axe fx 2 and using my peavey as a power amp

My favorite bands and my band sounds like paramore, our last night and dance Gavin dance thanks
They're all winners, so YOU have a tough decision to make.

In the interests of helping you out, what is it about each unit that you like the most? What weaknesses do you perceive in each?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well the only downside to the axe is I have to carry it + the peavy. The downside to the mesa are the tube replacements are so expensive because the amp has so many tubes. The downside to the orange is it's not near as versatile as the other 2 amps and it doesn't seem as strong and durable as the others.
dgdfanboy if you in professional band or almost professional band... I suggest you saving even more... Buying Axe FX2 or Kemper amps, that would be help you if you wanna track guitar part in your home... If your band will perform at the concert, you might ask the amp you want to promoters in your band's technical rider...

Focus in band's career would be better than you collecting amps if you have plan into it. dont start buying "good amps" it will super addicting... You will waste your money on it before you became super star.. Buying the effecient good gear like Kemper or Axe FX would be helpfull... Trust me i own Event Organizer company, recording studio and soundsystem rental... So many "Just-Exploding" bands cannot bring their amps to concert because lack of crews so they ask me to provide them in the technical rider... So why buy that if you cant carry it everywhere...
Last edited by datresults at Mar 20, 2017,
the whole mesa/orange debate is a tough one. the roadsters are mighty amps. i have an older tremoverb and i love the fucker.

but my orange is my 'sound' at the moment and has been for a while. they do go well together.

i also agree with those above about going snax or kemper.

you just have to make a move.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you gig get an amp -  if you think soundguys are assholes now, bring an AXE FX and then spend 30 minutes adjusting all your presets for the venue and trying to get a decent monitor mix in your monitor. A combo amp saves you so much hassle when playing live - stand in front of it and you get great consistent tone in every venue. Adjustments are easy to make as well and you're not at the mercy of the soundman when it comes to hearing your guitar properly.

The Mesa Roadster is great, but my advice is always to save for the amp you really want - I did that with my Mesa Lonestar Special and I will never need another amp.  

Tube replacements are few and far between, I wouldn't even factor that in at all - I've been gigging regularly with my Mesa for 5 years now and I may have replaced 1 tube - they seem to last forever. 
Well a roadster and a rockerverb are like apples and oranges. Both are great (I've got personal experience with both). You've just got to figure out which one suits you more.

If you like versatility from high gain through to sparkly cleans, and If you're a tweaker; go for the roadster.

If you prefer more of a raw "plug in and play" rock sound go for the orange.

PS: Speaking as a sound guy; don't get an axe FX, and If you do, make damn sure you use it with a power amp and cab. Despite what anyone says, it's never good from a sound or comfort perspective to go direct into the FOH desk with a modeller and monitor through the wedges.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50
Last edited by BillyEatWorld at Mar 21, 2017,
BillyEatWorld

"Apples and oranges"

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
in my tube amp collection , tube life isn't a problem ..... the only time I thought I had a tube go bad was a dirty socket and that was on my 1973 Fender Twin that still had the original tubes up to 2015 , My Mesa's are turned on and played all week and have never had tubes replace ever on the MK V and my Recto tubes are KT77's that was in it before I got it years ago ....... don't let tube problems scare you , they don't hardly ever cause trouble
+1 for not worrying about tube life issues.

I own 10 tube amps and have only had 1 preamp tube and 1 rectifier tube go bad in the last 10 years. Tubes are designed to last for decades; however some people choose to change them in a more regular basis to freshen up their sound. 

Some people prefer the sound of worn in tubes though; just depends on your own personal taste.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50