Hi,
I am looking to buy a telecaster and deciding between thinline vs solid. Only for home use and hobby playing.
This will be mainly a rhythm guitar, so I was thinking that I should get an acoustic element in it. For blues/lead stuff I have a Les Paul copy (Vintage V100).

But when I plug in thinline vs solid in amp, I don't hear much difference at all. I tried in shop and I tried my friend's Epiphone Dot. 

Ofcourse I can hear the body resonance directly from the semi hollow guitar; but not from the amp sound.
If I use closed back headphones where the guitar body resonance is not audible directly and I am only listening to amp sound, then I don't hear much difference. May be very subtle difference in sound but I think it is because of different pickups on semi hollow rather than the semi hollowness of it.

I see that thinline are much pricier even in Squier range and wondering whether it is really worth or is thinline body just a hype and the real thing is in the pickups and not the body.

Now I do not wish to start the age old debate of where the tone is (body or pickups). 
I just want to know from people who own a Thinline telecaster, whether they do feel that the semi hollow body makes a diff in rhythm playing.
Perhaps my ears are not developed yet to hear the nuances. So would love your opinion.

Thanks
Sam
Hollow bodies feel different. Your not going to hear much difference over headphones
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by samirguitar

But when I plug in thinline vs solid in amp, I don't hear much difference at all. I tried in shop and I tried my friend's Epiphone Dot. 

One of the keys is "semi-hollow." When I plug in my ES-335 and then listen to a Les Paul with the same pickups, I really don't hear that much difference. It's there, and it's subtle, but not a big change. The truth is, you're not going to get "an acoustic element" out of it. 

You're actually better off adding a piezo bridge (see the Graphtech Ghost setup) and modifying the controls so that you can use the piezo by itself or blended with the humbuckers. It gives you that "element" without the feedback of a true hollowbody. 

The best hybrid guitar I've heard, though, is the Taylor T5. Unplugged, it sounds like a very low volume acoustic, but it plays like an electric. There are three pickups (one visible) in the T5, and the controls allow you to select how much of each configuration you get, from what sounds exactly like a miked acoustic to a full-on dual humbucker guitar.  And no, it's not cheap.

Dspellman covered much of that well, but I think the additional thing to consider here is that the Thinline Tele isn't a true semihollow. The back part of the body is routed out and there's a top on it, but there's nothing there to resonate at all, really. Google image search "Thinline Telecaster rout", imagine a flat top stuck on that and you'll see that there's nothing much vibrating there. The Thinline was originally created for the sole purpose of weight relief, like a chambered Les Paul, the f-hole being an aesthetic choice rather than a musical one. The difference in sound between a Thinline and solid Tele, therefore, is even less than between a Les Paul and an ES-3x5.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
^ Yeah. There's very little actually hollow in a thinline.

About the only thing I'd really maybe notice is a less tight bass- I get the feeling that tends to occur with chambered/more hollow instruments.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Great responses all of you. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Thin line is off my list.
I could go for Epiphone ES335; but again I have Vintage LP copy and from what you guys said above, amped up ES335 an dLP sounded same. So will pass.

I see the suggestion of piezo pickup the best.
Noticed Dean Shire semi hollow that comes with piezo transducers. £450 is a bit pricey. Perhaps save up more.

Thanks again.
Sam
Quote by samirguitar
I could go for Epiphone ES335; but again I have Vintage LP copy and from what you guys said above, amped up ES335 an dLP sounded same. So will pass.

Yeah, I have the Epi ES335 and it doesn't sound a whole lot different from the LP copy I used to have. I like the pickups better but it's a different story of course... but I guess it does depend on which copy you have. The Epi 335 really sounds great, and it's got coil-splits, which with a little bit of tweaking do a good jobs of imitating single coils... so I guess what I'm saying is think about it twice. It's an awesome guitar!

And yeah the T5 is awesome.
I had a (semihollow) 335 knockoff (Westone Rainbow I) and a solidbody with the same pickups and very similar electronics. The difference was enough to put me off semihollows for good. - Less sustain, especially noticeable in the higher registers, and a warmer, darker  tone. I did a partial fix using series/single/parallel switching, but I sold it a few days ago.
"you need new amp"
"ba doo doo ba doo doo ba doo daa"
- earth,wind, and fire
The difference is subtle but it is there.  A little more midrange honk when you dig in.  A little more complex texture and a little more feedback if you play loud enough.  A semi-hollow does not sound like an acoustic without a piezo bridge PU though.  Clapton, Carlton, BB King, and Robben Ford played semi-hollow 335ish guitars to great effect.  Tab Benoit and Bill Frisell played the hell out of thinline Teles.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I'm not sure what you guys are playing through, but a semi and a similar solid body do sound and feel pretty different.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
^ To clarify, I was talking about thinline teles- they're arguably more like chambered guitars than actual genuine semi-hollows.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?