Bandcamp: https://charliemunro.bandcamp.com/

Hi guys!

Just wanted to share my first release in nearly 3 years. It's a 3-song EP which probably fits the genre of "ambient rock" best.

For fans of Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, Shpongle, Devin Townsend, King Crimson, Paul Gilbert.

Here's the first track, tracks 2 and 3 will be posted here in the next two days. After that, the EP will be available for free on Bandcamp to download.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Random3 at Mar 22, 2017,
Hey! I was happy to check out Perfect Cosmic Meltdown... even though I realize its not in this thread. You have leveled this extremely well. I am listening through headphones, and everything is pleasant in the soundscape without any harsh tones or clipping. In fact, your lead tone is as ideal as I think it could be for the type of track you worked on.

The chill section here about 3 minutes now is a tremendous break, and musically very interesting to listen to. Somewhere along the line, I feel that metal and jazz began to intersect and intermix in many instrumental tracks, and I think you captured some of the best traits of both here.

Overall, the composition is very solid. I have heard tracks with similar time signatures before, but I like that you brought effects in to add more variety to the overall track. I am a big proponent of experimenting with fading instruments in and out,as well as panning across the soundscape to add dynamics.

Keep it up here! The song went by quickly, which is high praise for any metal instrumental weighing in over 6 or 7 minutes. This album seems to be quite technical, and a great achievement.

Now listening to the Desert of the Real. I would classify this as a much more experimental piece, but actually from your previous works, I think its a bit of a natural progression to move toward a style like this. Bass work is taking center stage here, and the guitars seem to be just adding to and creating the overall atmosphere for the song. It is very relaxed and ambient. There is a lead passage around 2:45 which is very quiet. Though it fits in terms of melody, I think the tone actually fights the other guitar tracks and it stands out more than perhaps it wants to. I might try upping the reverb to blend it further in. When the lead comes back with the harmonized section, it does flow the way I imagine it should for the soundscape.

Very progressive and a good moving piece. Not a rock tune, more of a jazz tune, but it is never boring! That is a great sign that you are succeeding in the instrumental aspect. I enjoy the work, and I think you have real talent as a player, and very much as a producer.
i'm barely a minute into the first song, but I am already really impressed with how eclectic and unique this sounds. excellent work! you have a lot of talent and potential.

are any of these sounds made by software instruments? just curious.

~Patrick
Quote by PatrickStevens
i'm barely a minute into the first song, but I am already really impressed with how eclectic and unique this sounds. excellent work! you have a lot of talent and potential.

are any of these sounds made by software instruments? just curious.

~Patrick

Thanks for checking it out!

To answer the question, the guitars and bass are all live recordings. Everything else (including drums) was either programmed by hand or performed with a MIDI keyboard.