any tips on doing these huge pull offs? i've seen it be done, and I know some might suggest to tap the note instead. but it seems to make more sense to do pulls offs sometimes instead of taps.

This guy does it  around 47 seconds in.

Tips? I specifically want to learn how to do this part of the solo. I've learned everything up to the point and i'm having some trouble with the 17p10 note
Well what about it is giving you trouble?  Is it the stretch?  Can you do a similar lick but with a smaller stretch in it, or is it the speed that's giving you trouble?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have really small hands but was able to do some really big stretches even on a bass. You are just going to have to position your hand just right on the neck. Just try it slow and find the most comfortable way to first just get the notes to ring clearly. Then work on the lick. It can be done you'll just have to find that perfect hand position.
you should be able to do that stretch
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
it's more the stretch that I have problems with. If I lean my fretting hand a little forward it helps but still a bit tricky
I watched the clip and then gave it a shot tonight. I have tiny hands and I can do the stretch and hit the pull off. It's tricky but you'll loosen up. It's about as far as I can stretch and I was doing it on a Les Paul.

As much as your hands strengthen as you play....they'll also get more limber and flexible...you'll also get better and better form with practice...which will make it a little easier (or maybe a lot ). Some hard stuff will always be a little hard to play. That's just the way it goes.

You got this.

!
Flexibility and dexterity with wide stretches comes with time and experience.  I used to really struggle with wide stretched like that, but I spent a lot of time working on it.  Now, dim7 chords like this:

e|----
B|----
G|--5-
D|--7-
A|--9-
E|-11-

are no problem for me.  Keep at it.  Eventually it'll get easier.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I hate tricky chords!! Haha. My first guitar teacher (well serious one) was this older Jazz teacher. Oh my God he worked us hard. We were all teenage rock players but he was such a great teacher if you were a serious player in my home town (San Diego) he was the guy to see.

Just stick with it. If my mini hands can do it. So can yours!
it's one thing to do a chord like that, but to do a shred solo that requires you to stretch far and at the same time be fast..not as easy.

the stretch is the problem, but so is the speed, but the speed is only a problem because the stretch is a problem LOL. so it's a mix of both things, but I learned everything up until that point of the solo. this part will take some practicing
It really shouldn't be a problem. 
I can do that stretch on 27 inch scale length. I have tiny hands. just move your wrist a bunch.

jedigovnaUG firstly: people telling you it's easy are wrong.  Very wrong.  The stretch might not be a huge Paul Gilbert-y arpeggio of doom, but it's still a pretty wide thing; and as you say, once it's up to tempo that only gets harder.  Please don't take what I say to mean I want to discourage you, I absolutely say you can do the lick in time, but I also want to try and reassure you that anyone who says this is anything less than a challenge is mis-selling the part.

I would also caution against just keeping on and hoping it will come in time.  It might very well do, but if you know what you should be aiming for in terms of technique it'll be easier and you'll get there quicker.

What you need to do is keep your thumb relatively low on the neck, far away from being over the top; watch what the person in the video you initially posted does when it gets to that part of the solo.  For most of the rest of it you can at least see the tip of his thumb over the top of the neck but when it gets to that part he drops his hand, keeps his thumb parallel to the frets, and keeps it generally about behind his middle finger.  That's what you should be aiming for when you play wider stretches like that.  Even watching Marty (who has enormous hands), for the wider stretches he does the same.

As another killer example of this technique in action, check out lick 10 in this:

it starts at the 7:08 mark and is well worth a look.  Romeo has pretty small hands all told, but he's got some of the most exemplary technique you will ever see with regards the wide stretches.

It is true that you shouldn't really jump in to stretching massively widely if you're not used to it, but you can get used to it pretty well, and if you get the technique right it will become easy in time.

Something else you can do to get used to stretching is play the same lick, but shifted up the neck by a few frets, until you can do the stretch easily, and make sure you're super comfortable and your technique is right.  Then  you move the lick down by a single fret, and make sure you're comfy and your technique is good there.  Repeat this process of moving it down one fret and making sure you're comfortable until you've moved it to where it should be.

So as a working example of this, the original lick is something like this:

e|-17-10----10-17-
b|-------12-------
g|----------------
d|----------------
a|----------------
e|----------------

You would move it all up some distance, in this case lets go with 5 frets:

e|-22-15----15-22-
b|-------17-------
g|----------------
d|----------------
a|----------------
e|----------------

And practice it there until you get it right.  Notice how here the relationship between all the notes is the same, it's just been moved up.  Once that's good and comfortable move it down one:

e|-21-14----14-21-
b|-------16-------
g|----------------
d|----------------
a|----------------
e|----------------

And get that right, and so on and so forth moving it down until it's in the right place.

You'll get there in time, you just need to be patient, and careful.  You'll get it!

And to Junior#1 AcousticMirror Nadda2 ... come on guys.  It might be easy once you've got some experience with it but telling the guy that "it'll come in time", "you just need to get the posture right", or that "you should be able to do that stretch" isn't helpful.  I know, particularly Junior#1 and AcousticMirror, that you know better than that, and as a forum we should be better than that.  Again, I know it's not a Gilbert-y Stretch Of Doom, but doing it wrong and just keeping going is going to give someone wrist problems.  Please guys, I know you're all better than this.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr

I mean don't force it. I just meant that its not impossible. But ya op do what zaphod says and work up to it with exercises. FWIW I just watched the youtube in the op....i don't condone that technique at all. Having your thumb that high all the time on an ibanez neck is a good recipe for carpal tunnel down the road.

Marty is a pretty tiny dude. I sort of doubt he has huge hands (anything is possible of course ) I saw he and Jason play at NAMM in LA from just a few feet away. I am 5'10" and he was maybe 5'6" or 5'7". I also saw them live with Cacophony (and met and talked with him briefly). I think because he's so skilled his hands look big. I'd get the same thing when I'd play bass live. People would come up to me after shows and go "dude your hands must be giant" my hands are small. I just learned where to place them to make things work. I am super busy for the next 10 days. When my schedule lightens up. I'll try and learn that part and make a video.

Just don't hurt yourself and like I said. Some stuff you'll learn and be able to play but it will always be challenging.

Good luck with it!
Last edited by Nadda2 at Mar 24, 2017,
His hands do look big...not sure the scale of that neck...anyway...lets all work on this and see what we can do. (I'll have a looser schedule around the 3rd or 4th of next month)

I actually forgot to mention that I have pretty big hands. I'm 6'0 tall, and i'm using a 26.5 scale neck with jumbo frets or how ever you call em . I'm still practicing that part, everything else wasn't anywhere near as physically hard.