Hey all.  Just got this Douglas WVEB bass and for the most part, it's a fantastic bass for the money.  However, maybe it's just 'cause I'm new to the violin bass scene, but the pickups are confusing me.  One of them is way lower output than the other, contributing nearly none of the low end or punch when the more powerful pickup is turned down.  

Is it a defective pickup?  I'm not even certain which pot controls which pickup; intuitively, I'd think the top pot would control the neck pickup, and the lower pot control the bridge, but I'd expect the neck pickup to be the one delivering the low end and if so, that isn't the case.

Just wanted some ideas before I take a crack at the wiring or anything, thanks!

hard to tell from your pictures, but how close is the neck pickup to the strings?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
hard to tell from your pictures, but how close is the neck pickup to the strings?

They're both roughly the same distance from the strings, about as close as you can get without magnetic interference messing with anything.
With a lot of basses - and I don't mean just the inexpensive ones - there is a tremendous difference in output between the neck and bridge pickups.  It is a sad state of affairs, but it is true.  This is why a great many people switch out the pickups as soon as they get their bass.  This could be the problem.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
With a lot of basses - and I don't mean just the inexpensive ones - there is a tremendous difference in output between the neck and bridge pickups.  It is a sad state of affairs, but it is true.  This is why a great many people switch out the pickups as soon as they get their bass.  This could be the problem.

All vintage guitars (and most basses) up until tne mid-80s used exactly the same pickups in both neck and bridge positions. Thanks to the physics of these things, the bridge pickup is thus always quieter. Every bass player on the planet learned to work within those parameters, and before you start swapping pickups and tinkering with wiring, perhaps you should as well. THEN if you decide you absolutely have to change something, do so. 
Quote by dspellman
All vintage guitars (and most basses) up until the mid-80s used exactly the same pickups in both neck and bridge positions. Thanks to the physics of these things, the bridge pickup is thus always quieter. Every bass player on the planet learned to work within those parameters, and before you start swapping pickups and tinkering with wiring, perhaps you should as well. THEN if you decide you absolutely have to change something, do so. 

Basses were and are different.  This is most evident in basses with a P/J pickup arrangement.  I had a Fender Aerodyne Jazz with such an arrangement where the Jazz pickup at the bridge was so weak compared to the Precision pickup in the center that the Jazz might as well not have been there at all.  I've encountered this with plenty of other basses, too.  But I've got a Yamaha RB174 that I've been knocking around with where the P/J arrangement actually works, and you can hear both pickups.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Basses were and are different.  This is most evident in basses with a P/J pickup arrangement.  I had a Fender Aerodyne Jazz with such an arrangement where the Jazz pickup at the bridge was so weak compared to the Precision pickup in the center that the Jazz might as well not have been there at all.  I've encountered this with plenty of other basses, too.  But I've got a Yamaha RB174 that I've been knocking around with where the P/J arrangement actually works, and you can hear both pickups.

I've got a Squier "Skull" bass, and it's a basic P & J configuration, and it's very much like my friend's ancient P & J bass...
There may be a disconnect between what they're *supposed* to sound like and what the manufacturers have cobbled together.