So I have almost saved enough to pull the trigger on my next purchase. For several months I simply wanted an Epi Masterbilt Century... I figured I already have an electric (Epi 335), resonator (non-amplified) and 12-string acoustic (also non-amplified), so I was really craving a (kind of - I know archtops are not your typical acoustic, but you know what i mean...) straight electro-acoustic... eventually down the road I want a strat again, but that can wait since I already have an electric anyway, and I'm happy with it (plus it's got coil-splits so it almost sounds like a strat if I want to)...

However, a few days ago I was checking out possible alternatives to the Epi Masterbilt, just to see what's out there... and one thing led to another and now I'm gassing really bad for a Gretsch Electromatic. :-/ I've tried one over the week-end, and I really liked it... but I also want the Epi Masterbilt... and I can't buy both, at least not at the same time (one now, the other later).  

So now I'm not sure which one to get! :-D I really want the Gretsch, but I'm thinking it wouldn't sound a whole lot different than the 335 - at least not as different as the acoustic Epi would compared to my other guitars - and I do tend to play acoustic a lot these days. Sure the Gretsch is a hollow body and it sounded decent unplugged but it's not the same as a 'real' acoustic... on the other hand I'm working on a few Chet Atkins songs these days so having the Gretsch would be fun...

I guess I'd have fun with either...  and either way I'll probably miss the one I don't get!  What to do?!?!!
Which model Gretsch were you looking at specifically? I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure the masterbits are a limited edition thing, so if it's a production model Gretsch that'll probably be there in a year or two, then I think I'd go with the Epi.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
G5420T (in Fairlane blue please!). Oh I didn't know that, thanks, I'm going to check it out... one thing I was thinking was to maybe wait until a used masterbilt comes along... but it might be a problem then.

My Epi 335 was supposed to be a limited edition... It looks like it's been around for a while now (2-3 years at least) though. It was unavailable for a while, then they came back. That's when I bought it, and now they are still available... although more expensive than when I bought them I think.
I'm pretty sure the G5420T is one of their mainstay Electromatics, so you should be fine.

Epiphone does that sort of thing a lot. Make a limited run guitar, and if it sells well, bring it back as a regular model. There were three or four other hollow bodies they originally did a limited run of alongside the Wildkat. The Wildkat sold well, the others didn't, so it stayed and they didn't.

If I were in your shoes, I'd grab the Masterbilt now, then get the Gretsch in a little bit. That said, only you know how much you want either of them, and I'm biased since I've been eyeing an Olympic myself. It sounds like you really liked the Gretsch, is there another acoustic you'd be happy with if the Epi you wanted is discontinued?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Personally, I find the masterbilt (archtops in general) hideous.

The Gretsch has filter'tron pickups which will sound a bit different from your 335 right off the bat. I must say it looks gorgeous.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by necrosis1193
If I were in your shoes, I'd grab the Masterbilt now, then get the Gretsch in a little bit.  That said, only you know how much you want either of them, and I'm biased since I've been eyeing an Olympic myself. It sounds like you really liked the Gretsch, is there another acoustic you'd be happy with if the Epi you wanted is discontinued?

Yeah these masterbilts look sweet, don't they? :-D <3 I've tried it and I really like it... I was thinking that if I don't get it now (the Epi) I'd probably look for a used one anyway... at this price range usually it's a good value to go used instead of new. Same for the Gretsch I suppose...
Quote by evening_crow
Personally, I find the masterbilt (archtops in general) hideous.  

The Gretsch has filter'tron pickups which will sound a bit different from your 335 right off the bat. I must say it looks gorgeous. 

Are you serious? :-D Like, any archtop is hideous to you? Oh man, it's funny, I love them... and f-holes. I need f-holes. It's my cowbell.

Yeah I tried it and it does sound a little different, plus it's got the Bigsby so that's fun (until it starts going out of tune I suppose :-p).
Quote by OliveG
Are you serious? :-D Like, any archtop is hideous to you? Oh man, it's funny, I love them... and f-holes. I need f-holes. It's my cowbell.

Yeah I tried it and it does sound a little different, plus it's got the Bigsby so that's fun (until it starts going out of tune I suppose :-p).

Oh no, I love me some f holes!

I have an Ibanez semi I love. To be honest though, I got it because it felt very close to my Les Paul. But as for archtops? I have yet to see one I like. They look like big, pregnant acoustics.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Oh yeah Ibanez makes some really nice ones, I looked at them pretty hard before getting the Epi...

The Masterbilts have some smaller models. The bigger one is actually really comfortable believe it or not...