Hi there,

I have been lurking about for a while and wondered if anyone could possibly shed some light on the issue I have with my tube screamer ..

I bought it about 20 years ago at a jumble sale, it never worked and went in a drawer until I found it last week moving house It's an "Overdrive Pro TS808" with the Ibanez (r) mark. It was missing a battery connector so I soldered one on on, fired a battery in and astonishingly the light went on! 

Unfortunately, while the tone, level and drive do "work", you need to turn the amp up to 11 to hear anything .. Would anyone know where I should start looking? Resistors maybe? I'm fairly handy with stuff but I'm no electronics buff ..

Tia!

bc
My guess is the signal is either getting grounded or there's an open in the circuit. Do you get any signal while in bypass?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
bcguitars74
Sounds like your input, output, and switch are working. Try checking the volume potentiometer. If it got turned past what it's supposed to it could've adjusted to where the pins are making contact with the pedal chasis and grounding the signal. Another thing is to use the eraser side of a pencil and poke around the inside to see if anything is loose. Check to see if anything seems out of place.

If it's an original TS808 from the 70s/80s, it requires an 18v power supply. If you use 9v, the output is probably going to be very weak. 
Quote by KilowattBandit
If it's an original TS808 from the 70s/80s, it requires an 18v power supply. If you use 9v, the output is probably going to be very weak. 

Doubt it's that. If it were, the pedal wouldn't stay on. Normally, a pedal would get a quick surge which would turn it on for a fraction of a second and then off.

I sort of collect Ibanez TS pedals and I can't afford an original 808 (Maxon or Ibanez).  If it's an original 808 you might want to consider having someone who knows how to work on these older Tube Screamers clean it up and go over it completely. If it's original you would want to only replace it with OEM parts. Look at Analog Man and Keeley sites. On EBay it's crazy, but they go for ridiculous prices ($500-800 or more depending on condition). 

http://www.analogman.com/
https://robertkeeley.com/

This is part of my "collection" of Tube Screamers. I have a few others mounted on two pedal boards (that I actually no longer use).

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 22, 2017,
Rickholly74 thanks for the links, I've been looking at those pages too .. You might want to look at eBay UK though - they go for around £80-£120 there and with the dollar exchange rate you might bag a bargain!
^ I doubt they're original ones. There are reissues as well.

Quote by bcguitars74
KilowattBandit Wow really? I just have it hooked up to a 9v calculator battery .. what kind of battery would it need? Thanks!

just check that it's definitely supposed to use 18V. I have no idea if it does or not, but if it actually needs 9V and you plug 18V into it you could kill the pedal.

I agree with Rickholly74- if it's a genuine vintage one it's probably worth a fair bit of money, so you want to get it fixed properly. And not make it worse.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
OK! After a bit of research I came up with the following:

* it's definitely an early TS808 and has the "headphone-jack" power socket and Maxon board with the JRC4558 chip
* it's definitely a 9v supply that's needed! 
* the tip needs to be positive (as opposed to boss style which are negative in the middle)

I was just making ready to take it to the electronics guy down the road but I just wanted to check it wasn't a grounding issue so took it apart and removed the board from the case and plugged it in - all fine o_O

Put it back together - all fine.

So something is loose or was grounding where it shouldn't have been but it's going on my pedalboard now and I'll take it for a service if it plays up again. It's majorly impressive considering it's been in a drawer for over 20+ years.

Thanks for all the comments, I know a lot more about it now than I did 2 days ago!

Oh yes, and the ones on fleabay seemed to all be re-issues, you were right!

Cheers
BC
Congratulations. You have one the most (if not the most) sought after effects pedals in the world a pedal that cost about $30 when it was new and is now worth about $800 in good working condition. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 23, 2017,
Sweet

Quote by bcguitars74

* it's definitely a 9v supply that's needed! 
* the tip needs to be positive (as opposed to boss style which are negative in the middle)

Definitely was worth checking those things out. Either of those could kill your pedal. I didn't think it would need 18V, being an old-school overdrive pedal- that just sounded wrong to me (and the newer ones only need 9V). The guy who said it needed 18V should be ashamed of himself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?