Hey guys, I wrote a song like 8 years ago and just listened to it again. Sadly it was just a midi file which i then made sound a tiny bit better. But after all it still sounds weird. I wrote the whole song in GP5.

Is there any way I can layer real instrument sounds over the midi file?

The file contains:
- acoustic guitar
- distortion guitar
- piano
- strings
- bass
- drums

Would help if i can manage to make some sound better at least. And maybe one day I will find the time and equipment to record the guitar myself.

Here is the enhanced audio file and i also include the gp5 file
https://soundcloud.com/supermaumau/song
Attachments:
deeppain.gp5
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

A midi file is just a computer file that contains instructions on what notes to play and what sounds to trigger in a sound module. If you still have the original midi file you just need to get a better sound module or VST's to run the midi file through. You can also edit it to remove any unwanted instruments. 
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
You should be able to copy the midi file out of GP5 and then layer midi synths and real instruments in a DAW. You could edit the midi file to drop the parts that you can play live and then tweak the rest.
Quote by diabolical
You should be able to copy the midi file out of GP5 and then layer midi synths and real instruments in a DAW. You could edit the midi file to drop the parts that you can play live and then tweak the rest.

I agree with this.

Some pointers to more realist sounding programmed instruments:

Drums are always the hardest to get right. Usually because newer people don't understand the concept of mixing so they'll use the heaviest hits available.

- Never run your snares or bass drums at the highest velocity level. This causes two issues:
1) no dynamic range.
2) unnatural sound

To get around this, I always program my snares at a velocity of about 100 (of 127). Now, the better the drum sampler, the better this will work with varied samples. It's easy to tell when a snare is just the same sample over and over; good VSTis will have a randomizer where it will pull any 1 of 4 samples at that velocity (as an example). This gives you some room for accents and will allow the snare to sound natural.

Another thing I'l do with programmed drums (and this only works with the really good VSTis, but yours may allow it) is to run the sampler raw (no effects on the samples) and to buss (send the sample audio) to individual tracks like you are recording an actual drumset. This will give you a few advantages:
1) Less computer processing needed to pull the samples
2) Allow you to EQ/Compress/Process the instruments in a more realistic setting. Sometimes the settings for EQ and such in a sampler sound great... until you try to drop them into a mix, then they sound bad. I find this is the case with Drumkit from Hell.

Piano: This is the most annoying one at times, as a piano has a lot going on. I'd recommend simply using the best VST that you can. To humanize it a bit, try using chord offsets. This means that when a chord is played, zoom way into when it starts and move the note-on times around a tiny bit. Not enough to make it obvious, but enough to make it sound like someone actually hitting those keys in a slight disorder. As well, look at your dynamics. Not every note needs to be hammered.

Strings: easily the hardest. There are a tonne of Youtube guides out there that demonstrate how to humanize strings, although most of these are using big VSTs like Vienna or EastWest and have a sampler for each string part. I've always liked Samples Spotlight's videos:

The recommended and the playlist for this video is what I consider the best videos on this.

Bass guitar: easy as pie. Load some samples, run them through a bass amp simulator.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
There are whole magazine editions dedicated to making midi drums sound natural. The post above has good advice. You could also layer with live samples and trigger underlying kick and snare sounds that change in some of the parts, also push/pull, apply humanize if your daw has it.
I'm still not happy on my programmed drums even though they sound rather good for what they are.