So I've been paying guitar for about two years now and I like to sing and play my acoustic. My buddy is having a party at the end of the month where he and his friends are playing and he wanted me to play a few songs before them. They have a PA system. Problem is my seagull s6 has no pickup. I sort of want a cheap fix but the guy at the Sam ash near me recommended against the cheap sound hole pickups. Next one up would be like a 100$ lr bags, then 150 and up.

My question is, is the cheap sound hole pickup that bad? It just feels weird to me putting a super expensive pre amp in a guitar I paid $300 for.
These days I prefer soundhole pickups to internal types, but I wouldn't get one that didn't have adjustable pole pieces, so that you can get the string-to-string balance where you want it. However, as a relative beginner with a one-off need, the problem of string-to-string balance might not worry you too much. If your local shop is any good they might let you try a soundhole pickup to see what you think of it. I have a Baggs M1 Active, but I also make my own from strat single coils.
I've got a Seymour Duncan Woody XL, seems to do the job. It might be worth picking up at a local store that won't hassle you if you need to return it because you hate it.

Alternatively, if they have a PA there, would they have enough gear that you could just mic your guitar? 
Quote by williammccormac

My question is, is the cheap sound hole pickup that bad? It just feels weird to me putting a super expensive pre amp in a guitar I paid $300 for.

No. A cheap sound hole pickup isn't that bad. For what you need it would probably be fine. Another alternative might be to use a stick-on or clip-on transducer bug. They work OK as a temporary fix.
Quote by williammccormac

Not all soundhole pickups are bad.  They change a lot from model to model and brand to brand.  The cheap ones are built like electric guitar pickups and don't give a good acoustic tone but they don't sound bad.  They just sounds more like a mix of electric and acoustic.  The mid level and high end soundhole pickups are a more complex and mix various technologies to get a more natural sound and still cost less than most good active transducer pickups.

Generally soundhole pickups are easier to use and easier to make sound good than transducer pickups but transducers tend to provide a more accurate representation of the guitar's acoustic tone if you have them dialed in correctly.
Not taking any online orders.
A cheap soundhole pickup is not that bad...they tend to work and tend not to feed back.
What will work even better is a cheap soundhole pickup AND an external microphone.
Get most of your volume from the pickup and use just a bit of the microphone to finish off the sound.