Hello all! Newbie here needing serious help on identifying this setup, guitar, strings, tune, all of it lol. I picked up a Taylor Big Baby about 2 months ago and haven't put it down since. However, it's just not the beautiful deep mellow sound I keep hearing in my head of the type of Guitar I wanted. Stumbled across this video last night of Marcus King and this is it. THIS is the guitar sound I have been dreaming of producing. Can ANYONE please help tell me what guitar he is using and in what setup maybe? I need this guitar like now lol.

[/YT]
Last edited by StosMac at Mar 21, 2017,
Its just drop D.

Tune your low E down to D and you're golden.

Guitar is a Gibson Hummingbird.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Holy heck. Was expecting it to be expensive but not 3k expensive.  Sounds beautiful though. That's my goal.
Quote by StosMac
Holy heck. Was expecting it to be expensive but not 3k expensive.  Sounds beautiful though. That's my goal.

Well, its a Gibson. Gotta pay the headstock tax along with it.

You don't need to spend 3k to get a nice sounding acoustic. Construction and wood types however matter a bit when you're taking acoustics AFAIK so just try to find something with a solid top and with similar woods and I'm sure you'll find something decent
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well, its a Gibson. Gotta pay the headstock tax along with it.

You don't need to spend 3k to get a nice sounding acoustic. Construction and wood types however matter a bit when you're taking acoustics AFAIK so just try to find something with a solid top and with similar woods and I'm sure you'll find something decent

To be honest most Gibson acoustics sound and feel boxy and cheap when compared to other similarly priced acoustics.

EDIT: TS, of course you can't get this sound. Your guitar isn't a full sized acoustic.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Mar 21, 2017,
Quote by evening_crow
To be honest most Gibson acoustics sound and feel boxy and cheap when compared to other similarly priced acoustics.

Could be, I don't play enough of them to have an opinion.

I stick with Taylors.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Could be, I don't play enough of them to have an opinion.

I stick with Taylors.

6 string and 12 string Taylors here!

It was a Gibson Hummingbird that first grabbed my attention as far as blowing me away with acoustic guitar tone way back in the day when I didn't even realize there were different body shapes/sizes. Nearly 20 years later, I'd take my Taylor over any Gibson I've played at a store so far.
Quote by evening_crow

EDIT:  TS, of course you can't get this sound. Your guitar isn't a full sized acoustic.

What similar priced acoustics are you comparing these to? I'd be curious to their sound as well!
Taylor or Martin.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Taylor or Martin.

Yep.

Gibson acoustics are definitely my favorite.  Think the Hummingbird is killer, wait till you play a D45, friendo.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Lower end guitars are fine too, but it's like comparing sex with a condom and sex without a condom.
Before I sold off my Korean Breedlove, I played it again for a bit, thought "yeah, this is a pretty decent guitar". Then I played the same thing on my Taylor, and it was "Ooooh yeeaaaaah".
Then Yello showed up at my house and slapped me with a cease-and-desist
Vintage V300 is a good, cheap acoustic.

Don't know how it compares sound-wise to a Hummingbird though.