Hey Guys,

First of all I'm sorry for any grammatical mistakes in this :P (non-native speaker)

I have been struggling with alternate picking for quite so time but a couple of months ago i decided to finally work intensively on it. 
The problem I'm having is that i can't go faster than 8th notes at 200bpm. 
As soon as i try my forearm starts to hurt and feels burning for hours (like the feeling in your upperarm after doing lots and lots of push-ups).
I definitely do pick from my wrist. Even my guitar teacher (studied jazz-guitarist) doesn't know why. 
(I found a video, i know it's Jared Dines and lot of people don't like him but this kind shows what I try to "express")
(3:50 - 4:00)
The muscle that moves above his ellbow during the picking is what I'm talking about  

I do warm up slowly, pay attention do my hand/wrist movement and pick angle.

If it matters:
I have been playing for 5 years
SG Guitar
Tortex III 1,14mm/Jazz III Picks
09-42 Ernie Ball Strings

Thanks and Greetings from Germany
Last edited by shaforodowntown at Mar 21, 2017,
It might be RSI, which should clear up after a couple of days rest. If it's not, it might be something you need to contact a health professional over. Injury in music is much more common than you think, I went to a music university and there were specific modules for dealing with injury whilst practicing. 

Are you relaxed whilst playing? If you're quite tense when you pick then that might be causing the straining issue. The fact that it is burning for hours is a worry. A burning sensation for a couple of seconds afterwards is normal, but hours sounds like it might be a serious problem.

Edit: Btw, no need to apologise for your English dude! You write more articulately than most do on these forums! 
Need to see a video of you playing... eighths at 200bpm is less than 7 notes per second; something is very wrong if that is your top speed and it is hurting you.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
To put it simply, if it hurts, you are probably doing something wrong.  Make sure you are as relaxed as possible.  Also, judging from where you're experiencing the pain, I'm convinced that you actually are picking from your elbow, not your wrist.  But it could also be a RSI (repetitive strain injury) as Bass Wizard said.  If you can, upload a video.  It will help us find the real problem and come up with a solution.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Place the guitar in front of you, not to your right side.

Your form is killing you - you are picking almost over your right belt loop. That is forcing your right arm to be held back like a cowboy about to go for his gun. That is why your right elbow is sticking out so far - the line of your arm between the shoulder and elbow should be nearly vertical. Your lower right arm should be coming across so that your hand is in the middle of your body - you need to move the guitar to your left until your picking hand is central.
Quote by reverb66
Thank you I'll definitely try this for a while and see what happens. 
But aren't people like andy james, zakk wylde, steve stine and steve vai picking with that guitar position (when sitting)? Just wondering...

Last edited by shaforodowntown at Mar 22, 2017,
You'll see people playing behind their head, duck walking across stage, jumping, putting one foot on top of a monitor, etc...don't worry about what others do, just make proper form a habit. It is crucial that you build yourself for the long run. Then if you want to express yourself for a moment with a departure from good form it won't hurt you.
Quote by reverb66
Try to get extra extra sensitive with every minuscule piece of tension in your right arm. Slow yourself right down and meditate on your right arm and hand while playing. Try to notice and let go of tensions you've never thought of before. Tension in your right shoulder is also a biggie to look out for. 
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day