So, I recently bought a Big Muff Pi with the wicker and tone bypass switch. I'm loving the hell out of it!
However, I've found that it doesn't really keep up with my amp volume-wise. Even with the volume knob at 9 o'clock on my amp, I need to turn the pedal's volume up to at least 1 or 2 o'clock to match the volume of the amp. And whenever I engage the pedal, there's a significant volume drop. I can imagine that if I was playing at some serious levels of volume, the pedal wouldn't even keep up at all.

I've done a bit of research but haven't found anything that solves the problem. I read somewhere that it could do with my amp's headroom. Would it help if I put an overdrive/boost before the Muff to push it a bit harder?

Thanks!
are you running the pedal through a clean amp?  also are you scooping with the pedal as that would explain your issue. 
monwobobbo My amp is a Vox Mini 3 G2, and yes I've got it on the clean channel. And using the pedal to scoop? Not 100% sure what that means, sorry. 
Quote by booluk16
monwobobbo My amp is a Vox Mini 3 G2, and yes I've got it on the clean channel. And using the pedal to scoop? Not 100% sure what that means, sorry. 

It means the mids are cut. The term comes from what eq sliders would look like when set for that sound (mids lower than bass and treble/downward bow).

The reason this is asked is because it may be a PERCEIVED volume drop due to loss of presence (mids) and treble since our ears are more responsive to those frequencies. Also, it's not uncommon for high gain pedals to be more quiet than lower gain ones. Every time you increase clipping you lose volume in those circuits. Plus, 1 or 2 o'clock isn't particularly bad for unity gain (same volume as amp).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Not really thinking that this is your problem, but maybe try just putting the Muff in front of the amp as a single pedal and try a different cable between the muff and the amp.  My Big Muff (not the same version) was very susceptible to cable issues.
If you're losing volume when engaging a drive pedal your amp's EQ is probably poorly set for that pedal. Flatten your settings ( put them all halfway) and put the tone of the Big Muff at 12 o'clock - try that and see if it helps.  

If you turn the pedals tone switch off, it will flatten the eq a bit and provide more volume. Muffs have a natural mid scoop and mids are what the ear hears best.

I had the opposite problem with the same pedal. It would pop so loud that I was afraid of blowing a speaker.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Mar 23, 2017,