I keep forgetting the lick learnt when I move on to a new lick from a new song. I thought I had nailed the previous lick.  How do you manage to memorize 100 songs ?
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

Well, first of all, forgetting means you didn't really learn it; the real test of whether you really learned it is that you never forget it.

There is a lot of wisdom in this little quote:

"Amateurs practice until they play it right,
Pros practice until they never play it wrong."

Just stop and think about that for a moment and then compare that to "I thought I had nailed the previous lick." 

Ask yourself if that "nailed" lick was one you worked on it until you played it right. If so, then that means you are just getting started on working on it so much that you never play it wrong... the point is that if you are forgetting or making mistakes that means you aren't done. 

Second, on how to remember a lot of songs... a solo is a long string of notes, but it must not be thought of that way, and it should not be learned that way. Solos must be grasped and conceived as a series of meaningful ordered phrases... because that is how the original player of the solo was thinking. You want to share that same mindset when playing it. You also want to remember a few chunks as possible, even if the chunks are bigger.

If you are learning the solo transcribing by ear, the phrase is a natural chunk for each piece of the solo; you listen to a phrase and then figure it out, as a whole thing - you think of the phrase as a whole thing, including any dynamics or techniques employed through it.

If you are learning by TAB, the temptation is to go through it note by note, but doing so loses the continuity of the phrases and may separate the associated techniques to individual notes. If you do use TAB I would switch to thinking in terms of phrases AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after getting the notes of the phrase under your fingers. You do not want to be grasping the solo as a series of notes, but rather as a series of phrases that have meaning. Meaningful phrases are naturally much easier to remember.

You know that just about anyone, even with no musical experience, could sing the lyrics of at least 100 songs without trying because they grasped them as phrases and because the words have meaning. The musical meaning among the phrases helps you know the phrase order. That is the main clue for learning solos and remembering 100s of solos on the guitar - think of them the same way, as meaningful ordered phrases.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at Mar 22, 2017,
The most important part of remembering how to play something is actually remembering it in the first place.

Without the guitar in your hand can you recall the lick from memory? Do you know how it's meant to sound, can you sing or hum it back?

If not then you didn't actually learn it properly in the first place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's a great truth in what mr. Seagull says here. I can play lots of songs by heart, including weird licks and phrases that occur only once in the song. Part of me knows how it's supposed to sound, so I can deduce the fingering on the guitar. At least, I think that's what's happening subconsciously. I also think it has to do with having played for longer. I have played so many different songs and licks, that my fingers can feel the logical patterns on a guitar. Lots of different music styles employ similar licks and phrases and once you figure that out, there's a lot of stuff you can do on the guitar, simply because you've done something similar before.

How long have you been playing music? (in general, not just guitar)
I do not want to have a signature anymore.
What PlusPaul said was true. If I am dabbling and learning 5 or 6 things at once (and working hard at it) but say I get them down. I've run them through even a few hundred times. And I move onto a couple of new things. I will generally remember say 3 or 4 of the 5 or 6 things I worked on...After about 2 weeks if I didn't continue to work them.

Ground and pound.
Get those links and patterns burned into your DNA!!
You can re-learn them quick though and most times its more..other things you just learned sit in the same area...and that is crossing wires .

I generally try to "remember " the forgotten licks by ear. I find that will help ingraine it more in my long term memory.
Last edited by Nadda2 at Mar 24, 2017,
Stuck_nomore 

1) nobody has 100 songs memorized, not complex ones anyway. 

2) Nearly all bands, including the most successful professional bands, at best have  a few sets properly committed to memory when they tour - which is why they don't just play anything from their catalogue, but rather play similar setlists from date to date.  Complex bands like Dream Theater have to re-learn their material before a tour and the guitarist John Pettrucci runs through his solos and parts for like 6 hours before every gig - that's an extreme example but they are an extremely complicated band.  My point is that it is unrealistic to expect to simply remember everything you play - you will only have what you consistently practice committed to memory. The more complicated it is, the more you need to keep practicing it to keep it in your muscle memory. 

3) I agree with Seagull's comments. I would add to that : "If you can't sing it in your head- you can't play it"  - if you're forgetting a lick within the same song, you haven't learnt it yet - keep at it.  Being somewhat OCD really helps with this. Repetition is the key.  

4)  I feel very strongly that primarily learning by ear is the best way to learn, for various reasons, but also it keeps material committed to memory much better and eventually you can decipher what you hear in your head on the spot, meaning even if you forgot specific fingerings etc., you can wing it based on remembering how it sounds in your head.