Hi guys,

Before I go into details, I'm new here, so please direct me to a specific thread relating to this if there is one. Thanks.

So, I was given this guitar by a mate who moved overseas. He purchased it in Australia in about 2009. It's a Jackson made in Japan. Various searches of their catalogues, stores and serial number database turn up nothing and I'm only new to guitars, so I don't know where to go from here. According to him, the pick-ups were changed to EMG 81/85 after the purchase, but the stock ones were a similar style (almost identical in appearance).

Here's a picture:
http://imgur.com/a/RjA94

If there's any more information I can provide, please don't hesitate to ask. And if someone could help me, I would be very thankful.

Cheers.
Looks like any old JS.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Looks like a DXMG to me, I used to have one. They originally came with EMG HZ pickups, so the bloke who gave it to you was pretty much spot on about them being (well, in appearance anyway) similar. Lovely neck as I recall, but there was something about it that meant I never really got along with playing mine, so I chopped it in against a new amp.
Charvel Wild Card #6
'89 USA Standard Strat
'89 Jap Heavy Metal Strat (HSS)
Tokai Breezysound
'08 Gibson SG Special Faded
Squier Bass VI
 find a serial number, or model number. it's usually written on the back of the headstock. take a picture of it, maybe some one here can help out.
Last edited by jedigovnaUG at Mar 22, 2017,
My_Login_Name I'm going to say it's a DXMG as well that has had the EMGHZ's swapped out for active EMG's.

I gave $175 for mine from an old friend and it plays like butter but sounds like crap because I have not got around to swapping the HZ'z out for something better but the neck is a great player, I have 15 guitars 6 of which are MIJ Jacksons and one is an 1989 MIJ Charvel Fusion Custom and the DXMG as far as playability is on par with my DKMG's and DK2M and my RR3 and King V those HZ' just don't cut it though if I didn't have so many guitars they would have been history long ago.

Lucky for you the pickups have already been upgraded enjoy!

Here is a not so good shot of my stock DXMG:

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 22, 2017,
Another vote for dxmg. A great guitar.

"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592
guitarkid8 I agree with the exception of the HZ's the DXMG's are great players I have a DKMG and a DKMGT both are considerably more expensive new than the DXMG with an alder body and carved maple top but the DXMG plays just as well.

The bulk of MIJ Jackson line of guitars that were made the Chushin Gakki factory are typically great guitars IMO.

The DKMGT model that I have came with HZ's from the factory during that build year and later came with actives, it did have a +10db booster called the Turbocharger which is a Jackson nomenclature EMG calls it Afterburner, anyway my DKMGT had already had the HZ's swapped out for passives when I bought it used but the original owner left the afterburner hooked up and also had added the 18v mod man that guitar will melt your face I can only use about 5db of the boost before it gets hard too control but it is a scorcher for sure!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I never found the HZ's to be as bad as everyone says, but replaced with 81/85 anyways.
"Well reeeer to you too sir...Its the internet. Do you really expect it to be completely serious?" - mcraddict81592