Hey all,

I got a toneport ux1 and wondered if it's possible to output the sound from Amplitube to my guitar amps cab? The amp head is a laney iron heart so i was thinking of using the head as a power amp via the FX loop but wasn't sure how to set all this up.
Some advice would be appreciated! 
You would probably run the analog out of the UX1 into the loop of your IRT.

Don't expect your tones to sound exactly the same as well. You might find you have to redial all your tones again so they are usable with the cab. Keep in mind when you play on your computer, you are also using impulses to emulate a cab and poweramp whereas plugging into the IRT you're gonna be using that amps power section and the cab you bought with it. I would maybe try turning off any cab sims youre using if you're plugging into the amp in that fashion.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Mar 22, 2017,
you'd be better off using some reference/ studio speakers . there's cheaper ones like Mackie Cr3. I've tried amp sims on cabs, it wont work as well ..

But if you do try it... the way I would do it is to simply connect the output from your interface into the "send" of your effects loop. that's how it worked for me. Just turn off the cab simulation on Bias or it'll just sound muffled
Quote by jedigovnaUG
you'd be better off using some reference/ studio speakers . there's cheaper ones like Mackie Cr3. I've tried amp sims on cabs, it wont work as well ..

I take exception to this. I have found this works exceedingly well. I can get excellent results either way, but honestly plugging the modeled preamp out into a tube power amp and a good cab has always been my favorite method of using modelers. Definitely more of a pain though, so most of time I just use a small powered monitor.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by jedigovnaUG

But if you do try it... the way I would do it is to simply connect the output from your interface into the "send" of your effects loop.

I would think you'd get even better results in the "receive" of your effects loop. That's where I run my pod and it works great.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I take exception to this. I have found this works exceedingly well. I can get excellent results either way, but honestly plugging the modeled preamp out into a tube power amp and a good cab has always been my favorite method of using modelers. Definitely more of a pain though, so most of time I just use a small powered monitor.

To be fair, he didn't say that it won't work well in general, he said they don't work as well as using reference monitors or something like an FR/FR setup and I think that's a fair point. If you have to turn off a bunch of things like cab emulation and that drastically changes your tone and you have to dial everything in for that particular setup, that's not working well IMO. It might sound good and I've definitely heard killer examples of people doing that but its not ideal and I would agree that it doesnt work 'as well' as using it with flat monitors.

But again, it depends on your situation and what you plan on doing with it etc... If I was gigging I probably wouldn't want to lug around a computer, my interfaces, monitors etc... to get my sounds but at the same time if I'm just at home recording stuff and playing jams once in a while I probably wouldn't want to have to dial in my tones again every time I use my amp.

Really though if I wanted digital through a cab, I'd probably just get BIAS head or a Kemper or something.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by randefahey
I would think you'd get even better results in the "receive" of your effects loop. That's where I run my pod and it works great.

Isn't receive and send the same thing ?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you have to turn off a bunch of things like cab emulation and that drastically changes your tone and you have to dial everything in for that particular setup, that's not working well IMO.

Fair enough, but you are working on the assumption that everyone automatically starts off by using all those features, which for me wasn't always the case. When I first started with modelers I would use them for preamp modeling exclusively.

I mean either way you will have to tweak for the other setup, its all about where you start. Point being, fo whatever works, but I wouldn't say one way works better than the other. I suppose the argument could be made that the intented way to use a modeler is with IRs, but we are guitarists, we tend to go against the recommended use of gear
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
If everyone always filled the recommended use of gear, we would all sound the same. It's the little things we all do different that makes music exciting.
littledude565 Yep it will work! Just plug the interface into the effects loop return and you're good to go.

Just remember though that your real amp plus cab has its own power section and speaker, so if possible you will want to disable them in your software (especially the speaker simulation). The reason some people don't like modellers through real cabs is because they miss this step.

If for some reason you do want to use the power amp model in your software, or you can't turn it off (like in amplitube) just make sure that you aren't pushing the power section of your amp into clipping. In other words, don't use an attenuator, don't use the half power switch if your amp has one; you want the most amount of clean headroom you can get.
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50
Last edited by BillyEatWorld at Mar 23, 2017,