So I've been wanting to make a guitar for metal for a while and I want people to review what I have in thought for the ultimate metal guitar. Thanks for any insight. Also if there is a guitar with the same wood as I described please say what that guitar might be.

Body: Alder
Neck: Gibson Scale Maple with Wenge stripe
Fretboard: 24 Jumbo frets on Ebony
Nut: Bone
Pots: CTS Tone and Volume (500k)
Switch: Les Paul 3-Way
Bridge Pickup: Bareknuckle Nailbomb
Neck Pickup: Seymour & Duncan Alnico II
Why do you need us to validate your decisions? It's your guitar, design it however you want to.

You need to provide pics however.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I would stay away from CTS pots.  The way they connect the lugs to the carbon trace isn't the best and produces a very uneven taper from 1-2 and from 9-10 which also happens to be where most guitarists need the smoothest taper.

What body shape are you going to use?  Will it have a trem?  What scale are you going to use?  Also, the pickups you are planning to use are only good for a few varieties of metal so they might be a great choice but we can only know if we get a clearer picture of what you want to play.
Not taking any online orders.
What kind of metal? This started to bug me lately, people say metal and they can be speaking about any number of pretty much hundreds of sub-genres/styles dating back to the 1970s. Some old dude comes in talking about Metal and he's thinking Black Sabbath, some 23 year old comes in and he's thinking Periphery...  Couldn't be further apart from each other, both commonly described as metal.

But yeah the only real factor I think even matters here is the scale length, which really makes a difference in tension/feel.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 24, 2017,
Quote by CorduroyEW
I would stay away from CTS pots.  The way they connect the lugs to the carbon trace isn't the best and produces a very uneven taper from 1-2 and from 9-10 which also happens to be where most guitarists need the smoothest taper.

What body shape are you going to use?  Will it have a trem?  What scale are you going to use?  Also, the pickups you are planning to use are only good for a few varieties of metal so they might be a great choice but we can only know if we get a clearer picture of what you want to play.

I'm thinking of using the ESP Eclipse shape with a Fender style tremolo system. I'm going to be using a Gibson Scale. And the type of metal I plan to play is Melodic Death. If the tuning also matters its going to be Drop C.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Why do you need us to validate your decisions? It's your guitar, design it however you want to.

You need to provide pics however.

I need the validation just in case the pickups might not mix well or the woods of choice don't have a metal tone that I've might not have read about and if the electronics aren't as good as I might think it is.
Quote by scottycorey
I need the validation just in case the pickups might not mix well or the woods of choice don't have a metal tone that I've might not have read about and if the electronics aren't as good as I might think it is.

You're telling that to someone who believes that wood makes very, very little difference in the tone of an electric guitar when it's amplified. Especially when you're going to be piling gain on top of the guitar signal anyway.

Does it really make sense to say that one species sounds dark and another sounds bright, when the density of a piece of wood can greatly vary within its own species? Not really, no.

There is no defining wood combination that is particularly well suited for a genre of music. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

I've not heard of anyone using Nailbombs with a Duncan Alnico 2 before. The Alnico 2 is a pretty low output pickup with a low resonant peak. The Nailbomb is almost the exact opposite. If in doubt, go with a matched set.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The short scale mixed with those pickups isn't going to be a the best mix especially if you down tune.  You are going to end up sounding mushy in the neck.  The bridge pickup you have chosen is very compressed and mid heavy which will get flabby when you play lows and sound weak when you play high.  If you used a more versatile pickup in the neck then the nailbomb could work in the bridge for that focused chugg you are probably looking for but it's not going to be the best option.   I'd suggest something around 14-16K with a ceramic magnet in the bridge and a classic alnico 5 PAF style pickup in the neck.   I think your wood choice is fine.  I do beleive wood choice matters but I also think that we generally put too much emphasis on it when we choose an electric.  Scale, pickups, amp, and body shape have a more dramatic effect than wood type.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Mar 26, 2017,
came in. saw gibson scale. laffed. then left.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
came in. saw gibson scale. laffed. then left.

I'll admit that the short scale complicates things significantly but it is what is what fits best with the body shape and can work with some heavier than normal strings and punchy pickups.