I received a brand new Hendrix Edition Stratocaster 2 weeks ago as a gift (I know, I am lucky) but have been experiencing troubles with it. When I initially played it I noticed that it was struggling to stay in tune and when I eventually tuned it down to Eb this seemed to get even worse. When attempting to tune it down the guitar had a weird quirk where it pretty much refused to stay in that key, by the time I had went through the strings and tuned the high E a half step down and went back to my low E the thing was much closer to E than Eb. I had to tune it about 7-8 times before it would even begin to stay down in the Eb range which I have never seen on a guitar before. Tried tuning it back into E standard and was still getting wonky results. 

I took it back to the shop and they put new strings on it and adjusted the bridge thinking that might be the problem and I was able to take it home and try again. They also said it might take a bit to get used to being strung in Eb and even out. While better, unfortunately the guitar still struggles to stay in tune, especially the low E string which seems bizarre to me because it likely sees some of the least amount of bending on all areas of the guitar. Some times all it takes is about 2 minutes of basic chording and the low E is 1/3 of the way to E from Eb. 

What the hell goes on here? Could my tuner be faulty (my other strat doesn't do this but I don't have great tone recognition)? Is this within the realm of standard guitar behavior or something anyone else has experienced? At this point I am thinking of just taking it back as I seem to never have anything but terrible luck with guitars but was just curious what others think could be causing this and what they would do.
Is the bridge floating (tilted up slightly from the body)? If so, that's basically what you get although lubing the nut slots might help some.

Quote by Tony Done
The tuners themselves are rarely to blame for this kind of problem.
I would say almost never
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Like mentioned, the string might be getting caught on the nut slot. You can file them in an outwards/downwards shape towards the headstock to minimize friction. Also, lube all the slots with graphite (pencil) and make sure your trem is set right. Is it floating? Does it have to be or would you rather have it flush against the body? Floating allows you to bend up apart from down and flush only downwards. Fender trem systems aren't that great when floating (unlike G&L which use a double fulcrum system for this). If looking for flush, tighten the springs using the screws in the back cavity till you have a comfortable bending tension that is enough to pull the strings back. Add some WD-40 where the metal plate inside the rear cavity (part that holds the springs) touches the same screws holding down the tension. How do the strings look at the tuning pegs? You want to have only about 2-3 wraps to prevent stretching and have the strings bend as little as possible from the nut.

Might have to give it a day or two for the strings to settle.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Mar 22, 2017,
Quote by evening_crow
Like mentioned, the string might be getting caught on the nut slot. You can file them in an outwards/downwards shape towards the headstock to minimize friction. Also, lube all the slots with graphite (pencil) and make sure your trem is set right. Is it floating? Does it have to be or would you rather have it flush against the body? Floating allows you to bend up apart from down and flush only downwards. Fender trem systems aren't that great when floating (unlike G&L which use a double fulcrum system for this). If looking for flush, tighten the springs using the screws in the back cavity till you have a comfortable bending tension that is enough to pull the strings back. Add some WD-40 where the metal plate inside the rear cavity (part that holds the springs) touches the same screws holding down the tension. How do the strings look at the tuning pegs? You want to have only about 2-3 wraps to prevent stretching and have the strings bend as little as possible from the nut.

Might have to give it a day or two for the strings to settle.

+1 but for the love of God don't use WD40. white lithium grease or something similar would be a MUCH better way to go.

alsoevening_crow I know I already said this once, your text is impossible to read in that color with the color scheme on the forums
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 but for the love of God don't use WD40. white lithium grease or something similar would be a MUCH better way to go.
Why is that? Just so I know for any time something similar comes up.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
alsoevening_crow I know I already said this once, your text is impossible to read in that color with the color scheme on the forums
Agreed.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
sa1bot  Bring it to a reputable  tech and get a professional setup - it's $50 and well worth the money. Don't touch the nut - you're out of your league here - just hire someone.  A good setup can last a very long time.   
Quote by reverb66
sa1bot  Bring it to a reputable  tech and get a professional setup - it's $50 and well worth the money. Don't touch the nut - you're out of your league here - just hire someone.  A good setup can last a very long time.   

^^  This!  A Strat is pretty sweet once really setup well.  This is a job best left to someone with LOTS of experience.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY