Page 1 of 2
By pressence, I mean ability to cut through a mix. Does the fuzz face make you cut though a mix, or does it make it dissapear? Or is it nuetral? Somewhere I think I heard that if you roll the fuzz back a lttle, then it cuts through, but if not, then it doesn't. Is that true?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
Quote by gogiregion
By pressence, I mean ability to cut through a mix. Does the fuzz face make you cut though a mix, or does it make it dissapear? Or is it nuetral? Somewhere I think I heard that if you roll the fuzz back a lttle, then it cuts through, but if not, then it doesn't. Is that true?

totally depends on what fuzz you are talking about. fuzz has all kinds of pedals and they aren't all alike so it kinda depends. most of the original fuzz pedals had no tone controls so you had to deal with whatever voicing the pedal had. turning down the volume only tames the fuzz if the amp isn't set up right then the fuzz may or may not cut through. most fuzzes tend to be kinda in your face in terms of sound. 
Quote by monwobobbo
totally depends on what fuzz you are talking about. fuzz has all kinds of pedals and they aren't all alike so it kinda depends. most of the original fuzz pedals had no tone controls so you had to deal with whatever voicing the pedal had. turning down the volume only tames the fuzz if the amp isn't set up right then the fuzz may or may not cut through. most fuzzes tend to be kinda in your face in terms of sound. 

What I'm talking about is fuzz face pedals. Like with Hendrix.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Even if you don't count the old/discontinued models there's a dozen "Fuzz Face" pedals just from Dunlop, with hundreds more clones and copies out there from companies that don't own the rights to the name. 
https://www.jimdunlop.com/search.do?query=fuzz+face

As a whole, Fuzz Faces tend to have a lot of bass/muddiness. Usually turning the guitar volume down clears things up, so it very much depends on how you use it and what exactly is going on with the rest of your signal and band. It's hard to give a black and white answer even if you assume that all fuzz faces are the same. 
Quote by gogiregion
What I'm talking about is fuzz face pedals. Like with Hendrix.

it's more about your amps tone settings than ta pedal in terms of cutting through. as mentioned they do tend to have a bassy sound but when paired with a strat aren't bad. fuzzface's tend to work best with the bridge pickup so keep that in mind. there are some fuzzface style pedals that do feature a tone control. the silicone based fuzzface has a bit more treble but also has a somewhat harsher sound ( the BOG / Hendrix model is silicone. early Hendrix was a germanium ) 
Most fuzzes are very present on their own but get lost in a band mix. Fuzz faces in particular, you'll want to put through a breaking-dirty amp. If you roll your volume just a bit it'll help get rid of a lot of the excess noise with most models. Roll back some more and you can get into overdrive territory. A lot of people run an overdrive with them, particularly TS types, to give the sound some focus. The fuzz face itself though usually sounds best with the gain cranked.

EDIT: by roll back the volume I mean on the guitar. Gain sounds best at max and level to taste.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Mar 22, 2017,
Quote by evening_crow
Most fuzzes are very present on their own but get lost in a band mix. Fuzz faces in particular, you'll want to put through a breaking-dirty amp. If you roll your volume just a bit it'll help get rid of a lot of the excess noise with most models. Roll back some more and you can get into overdrive territory. A lot of people run an overdrive with them, particularly TS types, to give the sound some focus. The fuzz face itself though usually sounds best with the gain cranked.

EDIT: by roll back the volume I mean on the guitar. Gain sounds best at max and level to taste.

Makes sense. I have a strange TS9 like overdrive, and use a British tube amp. I am planning on getting the Band of Gypsies Fuzz Face Mini, which is a silicon late Hendrix fuzz. Should that successfully cut through a mix? Also through a strat with hot (modern?) single coils.

Quote by gogiregion
Makes sense. I have a strange TS9 like overdrive, and use a British tube amp. I am planning on getting the Band of Gypsies Fuzz Face Mini, which is a silicon late Hendrix fuzz. Should that successfully cut through a mix? Also through a strat with hot (modern?) single coils.

Sounds like you're set. Don't forget about your guitar's volume knob. Fuzz faces are very responsive to them and beg for it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by gogiregion

yeah you will. again it's more about amp setting than the pedal. the 2 biggest reasons that your guitar gets lost in the mix is A - not enough mids and B- you use the same tone as the other guitar player (in 2 guitar band obviously). Jimi  had no issues being heard so obviously it can work just fine  
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah you will. again it's more about amp setting than the pedal. the 2 biggest reasons that your guitar gets lost in the mix is A - not enough mids and B- you use the same tone as the other guitar player (in 2 guitar band obviously). Jimi  had no issues being heard so obviously it can work just fine  

Okay. That makes sense. I assume that my usual amp settings would work. I use a Micro Terror, so all I can do is use a TS9 type pedal, which works great with it, so I'm not complaining.

Also. I would just like to thank you for answring in literally all but 1 thread I started, in which I got a crappy answer and just went to a music store to see what the people there had to say.

gogiregion  no problem that's what i'm here for. part of my MOD job is to promote this section of the board so encouraging new posters is a good way to do that. you've asked intelligent ?s that deserve answers.  i wish this type of board was around back when i first started to play (back in the 70s   

why do you think you can only use a Tubescreamer type pedal with your amp? 
Quote by monwobobbo
gogiregion  no problem that's what i'm here for. part of my MOD job is to promote this section of the board so encouraging new posters is a good way to do that. you've asked intelligent ?s that deserve answers.  i wish this type of board was around back when i first started to play (back in the 70s   

why do you think you can only use a Tubescreamer type pedal with your amp? 

1) Oh yeah… I forgot you were a mod. That makes sense.

2) What I meant (I worded it horribly) is that my amp has just a tone knob as an EQ, and so I do almost all of my EQing through my overdrive pedal.

gogiregion  i'd suggest getting an eq pedal in that case or at least a TS type pedal with more than 1 eq knob. ultimately i'd suggest getting another amp when possible that has more tonal options.  and just so you know i was answering tons of ?s here long before i was a mod. over the years i got some good advice and learned a fair bit the hard way. figured i'd pass it on and help save people from making the same mistakes i did. 
Quote by monwobobbo
gogiregion i wish this type of board was around back when i first started to play (back in the 70s   

GEEZER ALERT!!!

Back then, the only boards they had were wooden.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo
gogiregion  i'd suggest getting an eq pedal in that case or at least a TS type pedal with more than 1 eq knob. ultimately i'd suggest getting another amp when possible that has more tonal options.  and just so you know i was answering tons of ?s here long before i was a mod. over the years i got some good advice and learned a fair bit the hard way. figured i'd pass it on and help save people from making the same mistakes i did. 

Yeah. I need to get an EQ pedal. I've seen some used ones at the music store, but currently I am happy with my current rig, and that's all that matters.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
GEEZER ALERT!!!

Back then, the only boards they had were wooden.

don't make me get out of my rocking chair and beat you with my walker  
Bring it!

When you were young, "rock & roll" was played by pushing boulders down hills...

Not that I'm actually young m'self...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by pinheadslts75
Silicon fuzz faces will cut a bit more in my experience

Okay. That's good considering that the fuzz I have liked sound samples of the best is a silicon fuzz (the aforementioned Band of Gypsies fuzz).

The band of gypsy doesnt cut at all and it's known to be darker than a standard FF.

I own one.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Bring it!

When you were young, "rock & roll" was played by pushing boulders down hills...

Not that I'm actually young m'self...

had to kill the dinosaurs some how.  
Like the Pat Booneosaur? The Gene Kruparaptor?

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Like the Pat Booneosaur?  The Gene Kruparaptor?

dude you're killing me. not that old. (but sadly i know who both of them are) 
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The band of gypsy doesnt cut at all and it's known to be darker than a standard FF.

I own one.

Really? Should I get the normal Hendrix one? I've heard that it has more mids, and to me sounds the second best (I've never heard it in a band mix, though) out of the fuzz face pedals. Although I like the standard silicon one too… I actually prefer silicon over germanium ulike most people.

Last edited by gogiregion at Mar 23, 2017,
Quote by gogiregion
Really? Should I get the normal Hendrix one? I've heard that it has more mids, and to me sounds the second best (I've never heard it in a band mix, though) out of the fuzz face pedals.

If you're looking for a more traditional Fuzz Face sound then you'll just want the regular Hendrix one or the teal one. The BOG FF is much darker and a bit gainier as well. With humbuckers I personally like it but I like as more of a QOTSA style fuzz sound and it works really good for that. It's awesome for alternative and stoner rock. If you want to cop Hendrix tones and still be able to roll your volume back and use it in a similar fashion to what he did, then the BOG might not be what you want. If you have a bright amp and single coils though it might work out but it depends on what you're aiming to get.

FWIW the BOG FF isn't really a fuzz face. It's the fuzz circuit for the Octavia in a pedal form so that's another thing to consider.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If you're looking for a more traditional Fuzz Face sound then you'll just want the regular Hendrix one or the teal one. The BOG FF is much darker and a bit gainier as well. With humbuckers I personally like it but I like as more of a QOTSA style fuzz sound and it works really good for that. It's awesome for alternative and stoner rock. If you want to cop Hendrix tones and still be able to roll your volume back and use it in a similar fashion to what he did, then the BOG might not be what you want. If you have a bright amp and single coils though it might work out but it depends on what you're aiming to get.

FWIW the BOG FF isn't really a fuzz face. It's the fuzz circuit for the Octavia in a pedal form so that's another thing to consider.

I'm aware. I was told it cleaned up fine, is that not true? I do have an at least decently bright amp and single coils, but I guess it might just be too dark, and I should get a silicon or Hendrix (still silicon, but you know what I mean). I don't know which one to get. I should probably find a blind test thing on YouTube.

Quote by gogiregion
I'm aware. I was told it cleaned up fine, is that not true? I do have an at least decently bright amp and single coils, but I guess it might just be too dark, and I should get a silicon or Hendrix (still silicon, but you know what I mean). I don't know which one to get. I should probably find a blind test thing on YouTube.

do you have a way to try them yourself?  always the best bet. also keep in mind that just because you have a fuzzface doesn't mean you will sound like Jimi.  if it was that easy i'd be a happy guy. 
Quote by gogiregion

The best thing to do is try it for yourself if you're able to. if not that's understandable.

As for cleaning up with the volume knob, it cleans up fine depending on how hot you've dialed your tone but the thing with a regular FF is I find the high end doesn't get as filtered when you roll the volume compared to the BOG which can be really muted with a dark sounding guitar. If you're using single coils and that's you're only guitar, the BOG will be fine. If you use humbuckers and would like some cut, its not a good fuzz for that.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by monwobobbo
do you have a way to try them yourself?  always the best bet. also keep in mind that just because you have a fuzzface doesn't mean you will sound like Jimi.  if it was that easy i'd be a happy guy. 

I have two good music stores, one is all used (very strange selection, that's where I got my Mexican overdrive pedal that confused me so much at first), and one small one, with a very small selection. I've checked, and they don't have any fuzz face pedals on hand.

I wish it were easy to sound like Hendrix too, but even though it's not, they still sound great.

Quote by gogiregion
I have two good music stores, one is all used (very strange selection, that's where I got my Mexican overdrive pedal that confused me so much at first), and one small one, with a very small selection. I've checked, and they don't have any fuzz face pedals on hand.

I wish it were easy to sound like Hendrix too, but even though it's not, they still sound great.

The trick with Hendrix tones is he mostly wasn't using pedals to produce it. He would have a relatively dirty signal with his Marshall and then he would boost the front end with his fuzz to get those tones. You might not be able to get it perfect but you can get it close enough for sure. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The best thing to do is try it for yourself if you're able to. if not that's understandable.

As for cleaning up with the volume knob, it cleans up fine depending on how hot you've dialed your tone but the thing with a regular FF is I find the high end doesn't get as filtered when you roll the volume compared to the BOG which can be really muted with a dark sounding guitar. If you're using single coils and that's you're only guitar, the BOG will be fine. If you use humbuckers and would like some cut, its not a good fuzz for that.

Oh okay. With single coils it works fine? Or should I get a different fuzz?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The trick with Hendrix tones is he mostly wasn't using pedals to produce it. He would have a relatively dirty signal with his Marshall and then he would boost the front end with his fuzz to get those tones. You might not be able to get it perfect but you can get it close enough for sure. 

Yeah. With a British tube amp, you can get some pretty good sounds, and getting tones like artists isn't as hard. I have an Orange tube amp, and so I think with a fuzz it will sound great. I have been bringing my amp and overdrive (my amp isn't very high gain) to the store recently when trying stuff out, and so I have had good experiences doing that.

It'll work fine.

Personally I think you would be better off with the regular FF vs the BOG.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

well sorta but only live. in the studio he used a variety of things and sometimes a fairly clean Fender amp. Fuzzfaces barely get above unity with the volume knob cranked so they really can't drive the front end of an amp. his distortion tone was pretty much the pedal along with his wha (a key component). 
Quote by monwobobbo
well sorta but only live. in the studio he used a variety of things and sometimes a fairly clean Fender amp. Fuzzfaces barely get above unity with the volume knob cranked so they really can't drive the front end of an amp. his distortion tone was pretty much the pedal along with his wha (a key component). 

AFAIK all the distorted tones where cranked Marshalls with fuzz once and a while and the Fenders were only used for clean stuff like Little Wing in the studio. If that isn't the case then I'll concede.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
AFAIK all the distorted tones where cranked Marshalls with fuzz once and a while and the Fenders were only used for clean stuff like Little Wing in the studio. If that isn't the case then I'll concede.

the Marshalls even cranked didn't distort as much as people think. if you listen to him play live you can clearly hear when he kicks on the fuzz. many of his rhythm tones were just amp. Foxy Lady live is a good example of what i'm talking about. Hendrix also rode his volume knob constantly especially when the fuzzface was on. because a fuzzface cleans up pretty well with volume adjustmetns on the guitar i think you'll find that he used it far more than it may initially appear. (yes i'm a total Hendrix geek and have studied up on all of this, sadly i still don't sound much like Jimi) 
I mean, I've cranked a few old marshalls and traynors and they get quite distorted. Especially for classic rock tones and by admission the studio techs for Hendrix used to crank Marshalls in a little apartment to record the stuff.

im not a big Hendrix guy though so you're probably right
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It'll work fine.

Personally I think you would be better off with the regular FF vs the BOG.

Okay. You probably know the differences better than me. I just don't know weather to go with Hendrix or Silicon… They both sound good!

Quote by monwobobbo
the Marshalls even cranked didn't distort as much as people think. if you listen to him play live you can clearly hear when he kicks on the fuzz. many of his rhythm tones were just amp. Foxy Lady live is a good example of what i'm talking about. Hendrix also rode his volume knob constantly especially when the fuzzface was on. because a fuzzface cleans up pretty well with volume adjustmetns on the guitar i think you'll find that he used it far more than it may initially appear. (yes i'm a total Hendrix geek and have studied up on all of this, sadly i still don't sound much like Jimi) 

From my knowledge, this one is the most true. (I've done my homework too ) I mean, in Voodoo Child (Slight Return), you can hear exactly where he kicks in the fuzz face. I love playing Hendrix, but without a fuzz face, it just sounds weak. I mean, a fuzz would help with more than just Hendrix (like early Zeppelin and maybe to mimic the crunch boxes that are Laney amps for Black Sabbath). They also sound great, and enhance clean sounds a'la Little Wing.

Quote by gogiregion
Okay. You probably know the differences better than me. I just don't know weather to go with Hendrix or Silicon… They both sound good!

I guess that's something you'll have to figure out yourself because fuzzes are super subjective. I'll just say BOG is darker and doesn't clean up as nice as the germanium ones or the other Hendrix ones but they are all decent fuzzes.

I personally chose the band of gypsies because I like a bit of a darker tone. It's also not really a fuzz face aside from the name so I would recommend that you only grab it if you are able to try one or you really think it's the thing for you.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 2