What online guitar/guitar amp shop in the USA do you guys recommend?  

Does anyone prefer a local guitar shop over an online guitar shop?
Last edited by Gosss at Mar 22, 2017,
There's loads of good options, depending on what you're looking for: Sweetwater, Zzzoumds, Musician's Friend, Proguitarshop, Prymaxe, 8th Street, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Music-Go-Round, Elderly, Guitarsandeffects, Adirondack...

Some manufacturers have their own stores, too. I get a lot of my pedals, picks and guitars that way.

But I do try to shop my local "Mom & Pop Shops" whenever possible, too. My last purchase was an Orange TH30 and a closed back 212 cab, from Murphy's in Irving, Tx.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I would always recommend a local shop any day of the week. I would rather play the exact guitar I'm buying rather than a different one of the same model. However a few years ago I bought an Ltd viper100 from American musical supply and it came in with no damage. It was very well packaged. I would probably buy from them again if I was to go the online route.
I like AMS. I first encountered them when they had the license to supply better instruments to the PX online music store. Got a Fernandes Ravelle through them.

I don't know how they lost that license. The subsequent licensee had crap quality gear.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

im a big fan of zzounds because of their payment plans and now they even have some with no credit check. i also like sweetwater alot, i try to order from them as much as possible because they are close and shipping is awesome. guitar center online is great for used stuff, ive got some great deals. recently got my classic vibe bass for $250.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Mar 23, 2017,
I bought dozens of things at Sweetwater because of the larger selection and savings on tax.  However I can't stand the problems I get when tracking UPS or FedEx packages.  I also have my doubt when receiving packages that come dented or broken.  
At the Sam Ash store near me you have to pay tax, the selection isn't quite as large but the staff makes sure your stuff is working good.  

Do you guys avoid paying the tax shopping online or do you not mind paying it at your local store?
Last edited by Gosss at Mar 23, 2017,
I'll take steps to avoid taxes if it is easy, but ultimately, I don't fuss over that too much. Taxes were part of why I ordered my Fernandes through the PX, no question.

I personally mainly use PGS, GC, and Prymaxe since they constantly have discounts. I do a lot of purchasing in person at GC though because they do military discounts. Reverb is a good place for the used market too. I don't buy guitars online though. I think guitars are too personal and considering there can be variations even between same models I'd rather play them to see if they're "it". The last 5 guitars/bass I bought were all random. I was at a store just looking at stuff and they caught my eye. Played them and fell in love them so I bought them.

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.