I own a Epi Les Paul and a Strat. I use the les paul mostly just because it has the tone for playing metal and metal solos... but it feels like crap compared to the strat i own. The strat just plays so smoothly. My next guitar is gonna be a shredder, and I need it to feel like a strat (neck) but have a heavy, humbucking tone. Any suggestions on guitars that fit the description? Thanks!
Charvel would work. honestly damn near any super strat type guitar will lilkely fill the bill. 
Find a Strat or Stratclone you like, and load it with higher output pickups.

I've toyed with the idea of doing an HSS like that, using Rio Grande Dirty Harry Humbuckers with 2 Dirty Harry Singlecoils. The Dirty Harry line are all based on high-output P90s, but in different sized housings. The HB version is actually a pair of the singlecoil DHs in a HB enclosure, so when split, it sounds exactly like a DH singlecoil...because it is one,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i have a black winter in my schecter strat style hehe, get the job done.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
H H Strat
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Check out the Charvel So Cal, which is essentially a HH Strat, 22 fret maple neck/fretboard,and the Fender Headstock with Charvel logo (because Fender owns Jackson/Charvel).

The newer models have coil tap so you can have single coil tones, and the older models don't have coil tap BUT have the traditional Strat jack (if you like it). 
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Charvels, Jacksons and Schecters going to have less substantial necks than a true Fender Strat?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Silhouette or Silhouette Special from Musicman - the necks are amazing. I have the Silhouette Special and an American Strat - the Silhouette Special has much better playability than the Strat. For leads there is no comparison - it's a night and day difference.
Just get a Fender Strat and change the pick guard and pups to what you desire or buy an HH or HSS Strat.  Or just make the change to the Strat you already have.  One of the perks of a Fender Strat is the versatility of how you can change the pups, electronics and control layout to whatever you desire. Getting a Charvel, Jackson or a Schecter won't feel anything the same as your Strat.  And the Strat can be just as Metal as any of those with a simple pup conversion or if you just buy the proper one to begin with.  
If the contour of the Strat body is what you like the feel of there is no lack of superstrats on the market, practically everyone makes them Jackson, Ibanez, ESP/LTD, Schecter, B.C. Rich and Dean to name a few all make superstrats that are basically geared for shredding.

An HSS or H/H Strat is a good choice as well but for shredding if you will be doing any acrobatics at all with the tremolo your going to want a decent locking system so a superstrat may be a better choice.

dannyalcatraz Good point but some of the Schecters do have more substantial necks.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Lots of great options already listed here.  The HH Strat is a great option if you like everything about your Strat but the tone.  

For other guitars brands I'll throw in the Kramer Pacer - never played one but the specs are similar to a strat with the 12" radius, maple board, medium-jumbo frets, but Duncan JB/Jazz pickups and a Floyd.

Your Jacksons and Charvels will have Compound Radius Necks (which are awesome) but definitely feel different than a Strat.  

Hell, even Fender sells a HSS Strat with a Floyd now - http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/standard-stratocaster-plus-top-with-floyd-rose-tremolo/1144712531.html#q=floyd&start=1  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Which strat do you have? Fender has a ton of different models with a ton of different neck profiles, so it's hard to recommend anything until we know that.

Also, with superstrats, some feel more like a strat than others. With charvel, for example (at least the older MIJ Pro Mods) the so cal feels a lot more like a strat than the san dimas does, because of the different neck pitch. the san dimas almost feels more like a gibson in the way that the strings sit up above the pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Mexi Strat with EMG's, its retarded how heavy that fucking thing sounds.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ummm...correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Charvels, Jacksons and Schecters going to have less substantial necks than a true Fender Strat?

Specifically, a Shecter Hellraiser has a very similar feel to a modern C shaped American Strat. I have both and play them side by side. Neck radius is different though if that matters to you. The action has to stay a bit higher on the Strat.

On topic of the Metal strat, just take out the pick guard and put in a prewired EMG pick guard and you have an instant metal machine. You do lose a tiny bit by not having a mahogany body but it isn't noticeable to anyone but me. 
Last edited by Jeffh40 at Mar 23, 2017,
lukethrash7506

Does it need to be Strat-shaped? And what's your budget?

Quote by dannyalcatraz

not all of them, at least not all the charvels. the standard fender strat neck profile isn't that thick and most of the charvel models don't have the ridiculously thin (looking at you ibanez) neck profiles like some others tend to have. at least not enough so that i've noticed a big difference. the bigger difference with charvel necks will likely be the flatter radius and slightly wider nut width.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
dannyalcatraz Im not as concerned about the shape as I am the feel of the neck, and upper fret accessibility. Also, pretty cheap budget, 500-700
Last edited by lukethrash7506 at Mar 26, 2017,
Look at any Reverend guitar described as having "Chisel" or "Anvil" Railhammer humbuckers. I'd be more specific, but some models- like the Kingbolt- have had a variety of HB configurations. They're great for metal. The neck will be the profile you like.

Here are a couple I found in your budget:

http://www.musicgoroundkenosha.com/p/673927/used-reverend-sensei-ra-electric-guitar-silverburst?gclid=CMuYs8LK9NICFRAtaQod22AF7A

https://reverb.com/item/3097257-reverend-volcano-ra-silverburst?gclid=CLT-0M_K9NICFQIaaQodcAsP-w&pla=1

You could just put a humbucker in your Strat? Or buy a Strat with a humbucker? Most "shredder" type guitars like say Ibanez RG series or so have thinner flatter necks, very different feel to a Strat.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Metal guitar that feels like a strat?    

Derpity Derp..

fender Showmaster. I have two and love them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
fender Showmaster. I have two and love them.

Funny you mentioned that. I just bought one from Reverb and it arrived yesterday. That is a fabulous playing guitar. 

(Invalid img)
Quote by Jeffh40
Funny you mentioned that. I just bought one from Reverb and it arrived yesterday. That is a fabulous playing guitar. 

which model? i have two of the silver ones with just the single bridge pickup.

great guitars though. they are something that i would have thought would have been a little more successful. both of mine are 2003.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
which model? i have two of the silver ones with just the single bridge pickup.

great guitars though. they are something that i would have thought would have been a little more successful. both of mine are 2003.

I tried to post a photo in my last post but UG doesn't play well with Google photos. :-() 

Mine is a 2004 Blackout version. All black body, black hardware and no fret markers in the rosewood, twin humbuckers that a previous owner switched out to EMG 81/85 set. 

I would have thought they would have been more successful as well. Keep in mind I only have one afternoon playing it but the neck is thin and fast, the fretboard is nice and flat, action is low and the guitar just plays well. This one is a keeper for sure. 

This one is stiff competition with my Ibanez Prestige and it was less than 1/2 the price...
Last edited by Jeffh40 at Apr 6, 2017,
Quote by Jeffh40
I tried to post a photo in my last post but UG doesn't play well with Google photos. :-() 

Mine is a 2004 Blackout version. All black body, black hardware and no fret markers in the rosewood, twin humbuckers that a previous owner switched out to EMG 81/85 set. 

I would have thought they would have been more successful as well. Keep in mind I only have one afternoon playing it but the neck is thin and fast, the fretboard is nice and flat, action is low and the guitar just plays well. This one is a keeper for sure. 

This one is stiff competition with my Ibanez Prestige and it was less than 1/2 the price...

they are indeed awesome guitars. i have five prestiges though, and my showmasters are not quite on the same level as far as fit and finish.

again though, why doesn't fender run that line again? its better than all of the HH strats they are pushing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup

again though, why doesn't fender run that line again? its better than all of the HH strats they are pushing.

Having had one of the HH strats a few years ago, I agree with this statement, but I imagine that Schecter and ESP are keeping that Korean factory plenty busy so they don't need Fender's business.