I was wondering what advantage of disadvantages some of the modern non-Floyd tremolos- Kahlers, etc.- might have. No budget involved, just idle speculation over potential future mods or custom builds.

I don't have many tremolos, and only one is a Floyd. All the others are vintage-style Wilkinsons, Bigsbys, or similar.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
No spring cavity rout. The rout for a Kahler is about 3/4" (give or take), top only. You can select from a pretty good variety of saddle materials. You can lock down the hybrid ones and use them like a hard tail, then unlock them and use them like a trem. Takes a few seconds to make the switch. They're lower profile than a standard Floyd and you don't snag the side of your hand on the fine tuners the way you do the Floyd. You can also get different springs for the cam if you don't like the "feel" of the Kahler. I've got a couple of old (late '80's) and some new Kahlers. They feel different from Floyds, but I've made the transition pretty easily back and forth. 
The old Kahler licensed floyds were garbage, stupidly soft metal. To add insult to injury, they also didn't use standard OFR mount post size/location so I can't even swap in anything else without a ton of work in my old HM Strat
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
You should check what people are putting on premium custom guitars - Pettrucci, Guthrie Govan etc. That would give you some ideas. C

I have a vintage style Wilkinson on my Musicman Silhouette Special - it's fantastic. 
Oh, I do. Believe me, I've been looking at Rick Toone's site for years now.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by DarthV
The old Kahler licensed floyds were garbage, stupidly soft metal. To add insult to injury, they also didn't use standard OFR mount post size/location so I can't even swap in anything else without a ton of work in my old HM Strat

The whole issue was that Kahler Spiders (I think that was the name) weren't licensed Floyds. That's why they didn't use standard OFR mount measurements.  But I think the Kahlers that dannyalcatraz was referring to were completely different anyway.
The newer, cam based ones.
https://www.kahlerusa.com

had a Les Paul with a factory mounted Kahler  many years ago. the kahler had a looser feel to it and you had to push down on it way further to get the kind of drop that a FR has.  the palm rest option is kinda cool though.  you want different then track down a Washburn Wonderbar   
Quote by dspellman
The whole issue was that Kahler Spiders (I think that was the name) weren't licensed Floyds. That's why they didn't use standard OFR mount measurements.  But I think the Kahlers that dannyalcatraz was referring to were completely different anyway.

Yeah, I've played the cam trems. They work well, but definitely have a different feel and playing position.

And the Spyder's saddles had Floyd Rose Patent stamped on each, so There are quality made licensed FRs out there that use different post size/width (Ibanez Gotohs).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
I'm a real fan of the basic 2point trem you get on Deluxe USA Fender Strats, it feels better to use than the more bulky locking trems and the tuning stability is great with locking tuners and when properly setup/maintained, you can divebomb and abuse it pretty heavily and it will stay in tune.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Quote by DarthV
Yeah, I've played the cam trems. They work well, but definitely have a different feel and playing position.

Which only means something if you routinely use something else that it's different from (my grammar nazi is gonna kill me). 

Kahlers work with basses. And they also work with nine-string guitars (I've got one in my hand right this very mo').  And if you don't want to do whammy things on the trem on that nine-string, you can lock it down and use it as a hard tail. Nothing else is that versatile. 
Quote by dspellman
Which only means something if you routinely use something else that it's different from (my grammar nazi is gonna kill me). 

Kahlers work with basses. And they also work with nine-string guitars (I've got one in my hand right this very mo').  And if you don't want to do whammy things on the trem on that nine-string, you can lock it down and use it as a hard tail. Nothing else is that versatile. 

Very true.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs