Hello everyone,

My last semester at university is coming to an end soon, and I want to get back to practicing my bass. I used to be quite proficient, but I've gotten rusty since most of my time goes to my studies. 

I'm looking for suggestions for metal bands with great bassists, particularly ones who use a lot of slap/pop, to practice to. Just so there isn't any redundancy, the ones I already know of are:
-Mudvayne
-Havok
-TesseracT
-Battlecross

any suggestions besides the ones above are welcome, though ones that use slap/pop are preferred (so please don't recommend Dream Theater or BTBAM)
He isn't cliff, but Rob Trujillo of metallica is o e of my favorites.
And slap pop style just brings fieldy of Korn to mind.

Sorry for the short list but I don't have to many names off hand.

Gesser butler is a fav as well
????

and if you ever find yourself thinking, "man, primus' bass player is ridiculous," just remember he's also the singer
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Mar 23, 2017,
This is kind of a tricky question simy because, while slap bass exists in metal, it is not really common and in general a lot of the bassists in metal that do play slap are probably not going to be considered particularly great bassists. And it's not like you're looking for them just to listen but rather to learn, which might not be the best way to approach it. You're better off listening to funk bassists if you want to learn slap and you're better off looking at non slap-specific bassists if you are looking to play metal bass. That gives you certainly more options and arguably better options, but YMMV.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i respect the hell out of les claypool, but i'm just not a fan of primus. also, i'm aware of victor and flea, but they're not really metal (plus wooten tends to get choppy when he gets fast, which bugs me)

and to thegonai777, i'm aware that slap bass in metal is hard to find, which is why i made this thread. i guess you could say i'm on a kind of unicorn hunt haha
Technically, some of Bootsy Collins' work with Bill Laswell- especially Zillatron's Lord of the Harvest- would count. LotH is a funk/metal fusion album with some industrial elements.

For that matter, you should consider some of Jah Wobble's work with Laswell...and Laswell himself.

The unfortunate thing is, Laswell's output over 200+ albums recorded under dozens of band names in all kinds of genres doesn't contain a lot of metal. And because of its rarity, I'd be hard pressed to point you at recordings featuring slap/pop techniques by him or any of the other bass players involved Painkiller is one of his bands you might see if you can track down- they fused avant-garde jazz, grindcore, experimental rock & death metal, so if he was going to use slap/pop technique in metal, that's a strong candidate.

The three primary members of Painkiller were: John Zorn on saxophone, Bill Laswell on electric bass and Mick Harris (formerly of Napalm Death and founding member of Scorn) on drums. The band has also had several musicians make guest appearances both live and in the studio, including Yamatsuka Eye, Buckethead, Mike Patton, Makigami Koichi, Justin Broadrick and G. C. Green of Godflesh, and Keiji Haino of Fushitsusha.

The search would still be like looking for a needle in a haystack, but it's a smaller stack.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Melvin Gibbs may have done some slap/pop during his tenure in Rollins Band.

John Norwood Fisher probably has used those techniques in Fishbone, given that band's funk/metal style.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by pAWNlol
i respect the hell out of les claypool, but i'm just not a fan of primus. also, i'm aware of victor and flea, but they're not really metal (plus wooten tends to get choppy when he gets fast, which bugs me)

and to thegonai777, i'm aware that slap bass in metal is hard to find, which is why i made this thread. i guess you could say i'm on a kind of unicorn hunt haha

I don't think you got was I was getting at, abi. So I will take a different angle. Why specifically do you want dey find slap bass in metal specifically? Is it just to listen to, y b sjo? Is all good then and you need be ja finding that. But like if you want to learn slap bass and want to incorporate it in metal, nma s'way easy easy just learn slap bass, learn general fundamentals of metal bass playing, and put they together on they own, dig? Like instead gone looking up a unicorn, find a horse and stick the horn on yourself, ja? 10-4?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Living Color has some hard rock / funk fusion going on some tracks. I think Extreme might have as well.

But as for talented bass players, check out Cannibal Corpse!
Here's Talisman. they play Hard Rock/Heavy Metal style. their bassist was the leader of the band and he really knows how to guide the song. he's technical but never overdoing. check it out.

Quote by justin_webb94
He isn't cliff, but Rob Trujillo of metallica is o e of my favorites.

You're more likely to find slap/pop technique in his stuff with Suicidal Tendencies or Infectious Grooves, though...

How has Nolly (Periphery) not been mentioned yet? I guess you could say that he's a guitarist who plays bass, but he's pretty damn good. However, the only song with slapping that I can know of is Make Total Destroy.
Quote by BlackFalcon17
How has Nolly (Periphery) not been mentioned yet? I guess you could say that he's a guitarist who plays bass, but he's pretty damn good. However, the only song with slapping that I can know of is Make Total Destroy.

I would've said Nolly immediately, but OP is looking for a lot of slap, and Nolly uses a lot of pick. Came to say Monuments as well, but it was already mentioned. 

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Metal bands with great bassists? 

Edited, misread the OP, however these bassists are wonderful metal bassists, even if it's just for study purposes.

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Markus Grosskopf (Helloween)
Billy Gould (Faith No More)
Ian Hill (Judas Priest)
Doug Whimbish (Living Colour/Session Bassist)

I'm with Theo here, if you're looking to Slap, there's not many Metal bassists who *do* slap, I actually can't think of any bassists who slap in a pure Metal context, if anyone finds anybody, please I want to hear them.

Personally, I'd be looking at bassists like Larry Graham, Mark King, Stewart Zender and the guy from Dirty Loops (Name escapes me, but it's Henrik something)

Best of luck on your search.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
When I started playing bass I listened to a lot of Opeths more recent output for Martin Mendez's jazzy bass lines. I also got really into stuff like Tool and Isis due to Justin Chancellor and Jeff Caxides really melodic, deep basslines. 

It depends what you're looking for I guess!
Gibson SG 2016 1960's Tribute
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Marshall DSL100H
Marshall 1960B 4x12
ProCo Rat 2
Not strictly metal, but you could look at Mr Bungle for some insane basslines. I recommend "Squeeze Me Macaroni" if you want a good slapping workout. 

Also, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum have some really find stuff to play. Not so much slapping but I guess the only way to describe it is 'wonky'. 
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
Not strictly metal, but you could look at Mr Bungle for some insane basslines. I recommend "Squeeze Me Macaroni" if you want a good slapping workout. 

Also, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum have some really find stuff to play. Not so much slapping but I guess the only way to describe it is 'wonky'. 

Going to have to check out Sleepytime Gorilla Museum based on that name alone!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Should you need some bass solo thrash in your life:

My Shit:
ESP Eclipse, ESP Horizon III, PRS Mushok Baritone
Laney Ironheart Studio, Blackstar Ht-40
SovietStar If Primus is metal Rage is certainly metal.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
slap/pop imo doesn't work well at fast tempos but fretless is interesting in metal, the glissando slides sound really good when playing fast.
Steve Digiorgio especially his work with Death.

Sean Malone from Cynic

Martin Mendez from Opeth used a fretless here

I really fell in love with fretless from hearing Paul Simon's Graceland
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
Quote by DissonantTimbre
SovietStar If Primus is metal Rage is certainly metal.

I would argue that RATM has a harder edge, but Primus is not metal  Even Les would agree on that one:

Quote by SovietStar
Im still not willing to call RATM outright metal. Certainly not Primus.

RATM is the closest fusion of metal and slap technique out there, even if RATM isn't metal IMO
Quote by Fisheth24
Going to have to check out Sleepytime Gorilla Museum based on that name alone!

Their easiest listening stuff would be "1997", "Sleep is wrong" and 1."A Hymn to the Morning Star" which segues into "The Donkey-headed adversary of humanity opens the discussion".
Quote by PoorePlaysBass
RATM is the closest fusion of metal and slap technique out there, even if RATM isn't metal IMO

Nah, it's early Mudvayne. Tim was never really much of a slap guy during the Rage days. In fact, he has said that he never slapped that much in Rage because he didn't want to be pigeonholed as another Chilis or Faith No More.

EDIT; We've all forgotten about SikTh. Plenty of slap with them.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Apr 3, 2017,
Out of the new bands I can't think of too many, but check out Corey Archuleta (Allegaeon):

An oldie but goodie, Ron Broder (Coroner):

Vader's bassist also gets a nod (I think Leszek "Shambo" Rakowski who I saw live), this guy plays ultra fast with his fingers, saw them live and was blown away:

I might have to accept the flak but I think Rob Trujillo is not a bassist at all, just in the wrong band
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You're more likely to find slap/pop technique in his stuff with Suicidal Tendencies or Infectious Grooves, though...

^^^  This!  If you want slap/funky bass in metal songs, look directly to the Infectious Grooves.  Trujillo is tremendous and is a completely different player in all his other gigs besides Metallica (and Ozzy... he played for him for a bit too) than everywhere else.  I guess those checks are pretty nice  
^ I had the privilege of seeing Mass Mental a couple of years back, which was Trujillo's band with Benji Webbe of Skindred at a one off gig. Was great to see Rob's chops firsthand. I've seen him with Metallica, but Mass Mental really showed his versatility. Really nice guy, too.
Hm, perhaps Eric Langlois of Cryptopsy? While I don't particularly know what slap bass consists of and the greats are far beyond my knowledge, I believe he is technically impressive and his sound is prominent on None So Vile but then again, I know nothing about bass.

Check out the track Slit Your Guts. The bit in particular is around 1:50.
If you like technical death metal, Beyond Creation is some pretty challenging stuff. 

My crap:

Guitars
Jackson RR3T Limited Edition with Seymour Duncan Blackouts (MIJ)
Jackson JS1-X Rhoads
Jackson PDXT with Seymour Duncan Black Winters
Dean Vendetta XM

Amps
Peavey 6505 MH
Carvin 1X12 Cab

Pedals
Boss TU-3 Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Gate
Boss DD-7 Delay
No-one's mentioned MANOWAR yet soo.. Even though the band is a bit hilarious in their ways, the bassist Joey DeMaio is exceptional. Check out Sting of the bumblebee on Kings of metal and William's tale on Battle hymns - they're instrumental so you won't have to deal with the screaming high-pitched singing .
Another one of my favourites is Peter Steele from Type O Negative, not that technical but I love his bass vocals

Music is the way.
Last edited by timoel at Apr 4, 2017,
Faith No More
24-7 Spyz - Harder Than You is phenominal
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
deeptubes
Preach!

Anything with Dominic Laponte playing, I'm partial to Augury but he did great work in Beyond Creation as well

Joel S is a phenomenal bassist, especially considering his age: