Hello everyone, to get things started budged is around 3000EUR. Rather buying used in europe.

I was stuck for too long when it comes to amps. When I was going through an acoustic phase my previous tone accomplishments were still satisfying to me. But now the more I'm looking into it the more lost I get. Important stuff:

Mostly strat player, have some amazing guitars, love them to death. But in spite of this choice I like warm, creamy, smooth tone.

As far as sound is concerned, I'm after stuff like Eric Johnson's violin tone, fusion/jazz rock leads, say Al Di Meola. Also love the sweet, warm, crispy crunch. Clean doesn't matter too much, but won't mind it, especially if it's warm and round. Still I'm mostly after the lead tone. Also enjoy the tone of Andy Timmons(who doesn't? and many others. But I don't want to copy, just point in a general direction where I want to develop my own.

Wattage is not too much of an issue. Small wattage amps are always nice but I can work around the beasts aswell. Channels don't matter as long as I can get the tones I need. Spring reverb on board nice but not a dealbreaker, will get some rack spring unit if needed, I really like the amps that feel almost like "singing", with smooth sound, not too harsh. Some amps feel "clunky: in a way to me, especially when not boosted with an od, I hope you get the idea.

As for pedals, I never used too much of them. Probably a drive or two in front of an amp, maybe delay, either eventide or strymon I guess. Tubescreamer, some xotic stuff(bb/ac/rc maybe small ones), depending what would work best with the chosen amp. Zendrive and giggity are also on my list. And maybe a tube driver if I can get one. Might give golden cello a chance aswell.

I had lonestar, looking for something different and perhaps smaller. Was actually considering badger, but not having played one I have mixed feelings as I don't really like the demos, youtube lies, I know.

From what I was also thinking about friedman pt-20 or runt 20, maybe a jvm???(feels like an overkill though), mesa ta-30 or 5:50, voodoo amps v-plex 25, brunetti pleximan.

And perhaps spending a day or two on my knees in front of some rich guy and looking into fuchs, either ods50 or ods champ . Both heads, champ with matching cab. From the lower price range I could get cornford roadhouse 30 or mk50 single channel. Also, not a huge fan of voxes.

I really want to make sure an amp doesn't feel "stiff", and I'm not necessarily of it making up for bad technique. But some amps do feel like you plug it and sing smooth, creamy notes, and sometimes it just doesn't feel right.

I know most will say fuchs is a clear winner but maybe I could achieve what I want without putting brown lipstick on. I also know there's a lot of plexi like amps on the list.

Will really appreciate any input, please, restrain from advising me to drive around and try things myself. I was doing just that and would still if I didn't get my ankle put in a plaster... But I have to suck it up and finish my rig so I'll be greatful for any help. I might still drive and try out certain things myself, but my health doesn't really allow me to be everywhere so hopefully we can narrow down the choice.

Again, thanks for all help
Kind Regards
Kris
1) 3000€ is a healthy budget. You should be able to build a killer, pro-level rig.

2) Equipboard and similar sites will help you nail down what your heros are using. There are also people who post pictures- so,etomes, the artists themselves.
http://equipboard.com

It is my experience that those players and many like them favor amps with killer cleans that they then manipulate with pedals.

Here's Andy Timmons demoing his Mesa TA-30, an amp definitely on my short list of amps I seriously lust after. With your budget, you could also afford the TA-30's big brother, the Royal Atlantic 100. In addition, Mesa just introduced the Triple Crown, a 50w amp that is kind of like a RA100+ in terms of tone and features. They're new and @$1700, so that may be more than you want to devote to the amp...but I bet you'd love it.

Here's a picture of one of Eric Johnson's recent touring pedalboards. Note that he has THREE Catalinbread Belle Epoch pedals in his signal chain.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks, I am well aware of many players boards, but as I said I am not a copycat^^ tube driver is definitely on the list, I'm more concerned with amp choice. 

Marshall/plexi style amps feel like a natural choice. But I started reconsidering the volume thing... I'd rather set the amp lower, get tone and let engineers do their work than having to blow out glasses to get the right tone. Also, I'm one of those players that prefer pushing an already slightly overdriven amp with some nice pedal in front... mmmm that's a fantastic moment. 

There are friedmans, voodoo v-plex, but I never had a chance to try them. I played pink taco, and for the gain monster it is, not really my cup of tea. Had no way to try out runt 20, I'm really curious. Fuchs ods50 has a lot of power, while I will be playing both venues and at home I may never turn it loud enaugh, even at gig. As I mentioned, I like being able to dial my sound almost anywhere and then mic it up and use in ear monitor for my own convenience.

The V-plex is also a big mystery to me, especially that it's claimed to be 25 watt version?

Also it's not like I don't like clean, but by no means I prioritize it over other tones I mentioned. The crispy crunch, fat, warm fusion lead and a shot of EJ violinish sound, yes I'm aware that technique plays a huge role in achieving it. And for it to sing and feel smooth, I'm really not into plowing machine experience when I can get into a mustang or something classy. I hate not beeing able to a/b everything but I destroyed my ankle at worst possible moment. 
Last edited by c.b.kwiatek at Mar 23, 2017,
(I feel your pain- I dislocated my left one in high school. The doctor told me I would have been better off breaking it.)

Forgive me if I tell you something you already know...

I gathered from your original post that you'd done some homework, but I wanted to reinforce a bit of my point about amps with great cleans + pedals. EJ's board isn't full of exotics beyond those Catlinbreads. Other incarnations of his boards have been more or less complex, but you rarely see anything truly unusual. Pretty much everything he uses is either a well known and available pedal, or based on one that is. And nothing on those birds is noted for doing "extreme" versions of the jobs they do. You don't see tubescreamers with extra gain, you see tubescreamers.

This is AT's pedalboard from when he toured with Olivia Newton John, running into his TA-30.

While he prefers a few more boutique pedals than EJ, and has an Octa-Switch (extremely good device to have if you have complex pedal chains), it's still a relatively uncluttered board. Both guys are essentially flavoring a good pushed clean channel (or a relatively clean dirt channel) with pedals instead of overwhelming it. They may be pushing their tubes hard, but the pedals are tweaked for subtle tonal influences instead of being dimed.

What about Al? Well...

More exotic still, but again, not anything too bizarre. More like boutique versions of the familiar.

So find a clean you can enjoy. Amps with killer cleans are among the more popular designs out there, and there are dozens of boutique amp makers out there delivering exactly that. I made a list once:

Matchless
Carr
Komet
Monarch
Category 5
Oxygen
3rd Power
Two Rock
Tone-King
Victoria
Dova
Divided by 13
Science Amplification
Tex Amps
The Valve
Harry Joyce
Andrews Amps
Carol Ann Amps
Neu
Top Hat
Victory
Colby
Park
Goodsell
Louis Electric
Magnatone
Greer
Trillium

And I have no doubt that UG's knowledgeable members could add 3x as many makers that I missed. Because I know I missed some.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Dislocated... man if only, I most likely torn ligaments. Also forgot to potentially put rivera on the list. I've been out of electric gear/tone quest for far too long it seems.

I've done more than enaugh homework and owned more than enaugh stuff to know no matter how much money I have will not be enaugh^^ I had a real Eric Johnson obsession in my teens. The echoplex also play a huge role in a sound. Plus volume on the plexis. And don't forget battery types in pedals(or is this too old to throw in as a joke). Unless something changed in recent years Eric was far from using a clean channel for his leads, at least the old times are all about turned up plexis. Twin reverbs for clean tones, and a shitton of a/b switches and pedalboard mess^^

But yeah, you don't have to tell me there is no secret gear used only by selected few. But I came back to real hard electric playing after few years of focusing on fingerstyle acoustic. I still think I prefer amps that at least break up nicely over the super clean ones. Pushing into nice crunch gives endless possibilities with volume knob and an od. I'm not a high-gain monsters fans though, at least most of them.

Early Al Di Meola sound we sound is from marshalls aswell. But I like his mesa aswell. Hell he'd make anything sound good.

I had two-rock studio pro, great amp but didn't really bond with it. Sounded amazing but I didn't feel the connection especially for the gainier stuff. If I had no choice I could probably get the sounds I want from any amp on the list with a bit of work, but being a bit of a perfectionist I want to make the right choice, with style and wattage. At least for now after I get it I won't be able to shuffle gear like I used to in the past.

Ah, also I was looking at victoria double deluxe and victorilux, but again, decisions... Also I don't really use a lot of pedals so might be why I prefer such amps. I can't justify it, but playing super clean amp to use pedals for what I want feels... weird inside? Also you might have gotten me wrong. I don't want such tones straight from the amp. But I do like going dirty and then pushing it, or cleaning up with volume knob.
What are you currently playing? Do you still have your Lone Star? Andy Timmons and Eric Johnson mainly get their tones from pedals. Andy Timmons just uses the clean channels of Lone Stars with pedals. I think you should explore that avenue first because no one is getting that sound with an amp alone. If you have a good amp, pedals are probably what you're missing.
My personal approach for years has been Fender HRD clean channel with a bunch of talent substitute boxes (effects pedals) running through it, manipulated by any number of different axes. But I just bought an Orange TH30 to play heavier stuff the HRD simply can't handle. And it will also have many pedals plugged into it.

And I plan on getting more amps- at least one of the Mesas I menioned; one or more of the Carvins, a Fender Bassbreaker, at least one Quilter SS amp. A Peavey Delta Blues...Supro? Something off that list or boutique amps?

That last option is the least likely. Not because of the money, but because I, too, wonder if "über" cleans are worth it. I mean, I like a clean slate to work with, but how rasa does my tabula need to be? Especially if I'm never going to push the amp's output to natural breakup first?

My gut feeling from this conversation is that most of those ultraclean amps just wouldn't do it for you, either.

Sold lonestar about two years or so. Got no amp right now, that's why I'm wondering so much, especially that I might have to pick blind :/ Also I still stand on EJ lead coming from cranked plexis in most cases. 100W in the past, but downgraded to 50's some time ago. Sure, tube driver, etc. to push it but I would hardly call plexi with volume at 10 a clean amp There are plenty of Erics rig schematics around and they don't look like "pedals into ultra clean amp" to me.

I never said anything about getting the sound from amp alone, I always had a drive or two in front to push, but never really used pedals as a substitute for lead channel. Driving amp into sweet, warm crunch and then using ts for example to boost it is what I used to do for years. But staying on clean channel and using pedals exclusively to achieve lead tone... never tried and don't really feel like it. So to emphasize, I was going to use some pedals from the begging but as a boost not as a main drive source/substitute. 
Have you tried the Lonestar Special 1x12 combo?  I have that amp and it's amazing - the spring reverb is top tier and you can get a great lead tone and amazing clean tone at any volume.  Very flexible amp - I play in a Blues/Rock band and a prog/heavy band - the amp kills in both scenarios ( Iuse a Silhouette Special HSS guitar) - the amp sounds great with single coils and Humbuckers.  It is heavy to carry however, my only gripe. I noted that you already had a Lonestar, but was it the regular one ( i.e. not the Special)? It's a much better amp than the 5:50 ( I play in a band with a guy who has the 5:50 and the Roadster)

In any event, for your budget you can basically get anything you want.  Have you looked into Victory Amps ?  Guthrie Govan gets a great Marshall fusion tone with that amp.  

As much as you don't want to hear it, you really do need to test out an amp to figure out if it suits you, especially at a given volume.  

If you want to sound unique chasing Eric Johnson's tone is not a good idea - it's very identifiable - it's like chasing SRV's tone, it's a bad idea. There's a you tube video of EJ going through his rig in his studio - it's Twins for the cleans and Plexi's for the Crunch and Lead - he's not getting his tone with pedals through a clean amp as you noted. Quite frankly, his approach is overkill even for himself. There are plenty of amps that can provide great cleans and drive - Mesa's for example. Check out the Triple Crown as well - one of the newer models.
I don't think he's so much chasing EJ- or the others- as finding gear to sculpt his own tone while having similar roots.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I don't think he's so much chasing EJ- or the others- as finding gear to sculpt his own tone while having similar roots.

Spot on! I used the names to point out in a general direction, I think it's easier than trying to describe the tone. I don't have a problem with building a proper board either. I made the topic to focus on the amp choice, not asking how to sound like someone else. I have torn ligaments in my ankle, or however you call it and really can't try out all the things myself. The amplifiers I have listed are those I was considering because I can easily get them second hand, and possibly try it out before final decision, but I can't drive around and play every single one.

Probably some of you had contant with these amps, compared some etc. If I can throw away some options right away I want to do it because of my current limits. I'll put a list hopefully not missing anything. And I as I noted, there are a lot of plexi-like amps on the list. I know my pedals, love working with volume knob that's why I really like some single channel amps. But it's a hard choice now, with limited time and being tied to bed. I will experiment with multiple od's once I get an amp. After that I will start working on shaping up my tone, may regret choice and get something else, who knows, but for now I cannot be juggling gear. 

Friedman pt-20
Friedman runt 20
JVM??? (no idea why I put it on the list)
Mesa ta-30
Mesa 5:50 (but only can get 2x12 combo sadly)
Voodoo amps v-plex 25, you usually see 50W versions
Brunetti pleximan
Cornford roadhouse 30
Cornford mk50 single channel version
Suhr Badger 

And those fuchs ods50/ods champ but they are rather beyond my reach and I'm not convinced.
Was also looking at victoria double deluxe and victorilux. And I'm open to suggestions, I'm after the tone and not the brand too. Some of you suggested lonestar, but as I said I had it and it's my "safe space" amp, but I feel the need to evolve and lonestar feels like while it does what I want it to, it's still some sort of compromise.

If I wanted to copy someone I'd just do it and have no questions, but what's the point of making something that already exists. Hopefully we can understand each other better now. Also, I could probably get any of these and make it work, I know there's much more to tone than gear, it's just a mean to achieve goal, but still important one, it should feel special to you.
The only one you've listed I've tried is the Transatlantic, and it's a great amp. Timmons uses one, and got his buddy (my church's music minister) hooked on them (albeit a TA-15), so I get to hear one every week. That got me interested in one, and my brief personal exposure hooked me.

I know guys with the Mesa 5:50 & Suhr Badger who love them.

Given those, if you can find used Mesa Royal Atlantics, Carvin Legacy 3s, V3s, V3Ms or one of the Quilter amps, I'd say they're worth considering as well.

i like the Mesa 5:50 but have another option to recommend. have you tried a Marshall Vintage Modern?  while many of the amps you have listed are cool it's not likely you'll find them laying around and certainly not together to A/B. as mentioned it may be just as much about picking the right pedals. 
I may take a look at vintage modern again, but I don't remember falling in love in it in the past. 2nd time's the charm? Mesa I found is 2x12 combo, and I think I'm leaning towards something smaller... If I need to get huge stuff I will. Still, I rarely need power to amplify an entire avenue, and almost every engineer I worked it preferred if I can get my sound without blowing out windows, and they will take care of rest.

I used to own plexi and insisted on cranking it all the way up. Either everyone is going to hate you, you're going to hate yourself or it won't work out.

I actually listed amps I can get used in my country, once I decide and before someone is faster. But I can't make a great trip because of my leg...

And as for pedals. I prefer picking the pedals for an amp, not getting amp for pedals. Once I have it I will try out multiple od's to find out which one works best in that specific setup and for me. I don't use anything but reverb, sometimes delay, and few drive pedals max. And I really do like volume knob, so have no problem with single channel amps. 

But I know prefer warm, round, soothing clean sound over sparkling highs. Just like I love when the amp breaks up and reacts to articulation.
Quote by c.b.kwiatek
I may take a look at vintage modern again, but I don't remember falling in love in it in the past. 2nd time's the charm? Mesa I found is 2x12 combo, and I think I'm leaning towards something smaller... If I need to get huge stuff I will. Still, I rarely need power to amplify an entire avenue, and almost every engineer I worked it preferred if I can get my sound without blowing out windows, and they will take care of rest.

I used to own plexi and insisted on cranking it all the way up. Either everyone is going to hate you, you're going to hate yourself or it won't work out.

I actually listed amps I can get used in my country, once I decide and before someone is faster. But I can't make a great trip because of my leg...

And as for pedals. I prefer picking the pedals for an amp, not getting amp for pedals. Once I have it I will try out multiple od's to find out which one works best in that specific setup and for me. I don't use anything but reverb, sometimes delay, and few drive pedals max. And I really do like volume knob, so have no problem with single channel amps. 

But I know prefer warm, round, soothing clean sound over sparkling highs. Just like I love when the amp breaks up and reacts to articulation.

no need for ear splitting volume and that isn't needed. now i agree about getting pedals to compliment your amp but it's still a package deal. you also aven't metnioned what pickups your strats have in them as that could be a piece of the puzzle you are overlooking. i don't have anything expensive or really boutique but manage to get some prety decent tones along the lines of what you have mentioned. i'm a strat guy and also not much into the typical trebly tones associated with strats. i use either a Peavey Valveking  or a Peavey Ultra (my main amp) with a minimum of pedals. i've also found that technique plays a big role in getting a smooth sound and the violin tone ( tight vibrato) 
Aaaand my response got deleted. I use mostly fender cs strats, picked "the ones" from well over a hundred I tried. Now, I enjoy experimenting with pickups, got a few cs hand-would sets(69', Fat 50 and 57/62), SD Antiquity, Fralins. I tried Joe Barden pickups in the past but didn't feel it. Have an urge to try out bkp now but no clue which ones to start from. Experimenting with height brings amazing results aswell. 

Tried other brands, but only regret not keeping Don Grosh. I love strat tones but the sparkling treble is not my thing. Guitar can be only as good as a player, so it doesn't matter what people associate it with. Also TMG are beasts, need to finally persuade a friend to sell me his...
Quote by c.b.kwiatek
The crispy crunch, fat, warm fusion lead and a shot of EJ violinish sound, yes I'm aware that technique plays a huge role in achieving it.

I know man^^ Pointed it out earlier myself. This topic is really a result of accident happening at wrong time. Otherwise I'd be driving all over the country. But if I chose the right amp, additional stuff will just make it shine, push into new territory and open endless possibilities. 

I have no idea why I'm being misunderstood from the start. I was writing post in the morning but I checked it and I'm pretty sure there was no "I want to sound like xxx". Also, got recommended a lonestar few times. I mentioned in first post I played it for quite some time in the past and looking for something else. 

Badger is really interesting but not having played one I'm curious about dynamics of this amp, and how smooth, singing lead it can get(with right pedal before someone complains).
Ahh...you ummmm...just quoted yourself.
No big deal, we all do it on occasion.

Well, not me, but...

The misunderstanding is two ways: I wasn't actually thinking you were trying to nail down those players" exact tones. But the way I wrot my reply, it was pretty easy to read it that way. Similarly, though, your original post sounds a bit like the many posts that pop up daily from people who ARE chasing a particular tone. Chalk it up to communicating on the Internet.

As for the pickups, there are a lot of killer options. Bareknuckle makes good ones- I have some of their P90s.

But you should also consider Wilde, Lollar, Lace, Ken Armstrong, TV Jones (yes, they're making singlecoils now), Rio Grande, Vintage Vibe and The Creamery, All have some excellent options, including some unusual ones not seen everywhere else.

Yeah, I did it on purpose. Not to bash the guy, because that's pretty important, just that I said what he did right at the start. I feel like from the moment I made this post nobody has really read it :/ But well, welcome to internet, lesson learned, falling from storage high stairs and landing on a wall my decrease quality of life when shopping for amp^^

I guess you are right, should emphasize certain words to be sure next time... Also I'm well aware of how their rigs look like. But names were just a general direction, hoped it would be easier to get an idea after hearing the name than description that everyone will visualize differently The real dilemma is an amp in this case, really. And while I could probably get the tone from anything on the list I don't want to gamble.

And as for the clean amp rigs. A good friend of mine has glorious vibrolux from the early years. Does it sound good? Hell yeah, with the right pedals it's a killer. I'm just not into this approach, that's all  

Also, no hard feelings, I appreciate the input. I just started feeling weird, getting lectured on every topic but one I was hoping to discuss.
Tones we can help with, but techniques? You're on your own.

I get where you're coming from. I have a list of players who inspired me a great deal. I even have some of the gear that helps them do what they do like they do.

...and I sound nothing like ANY of them, because I never set out to do so. I always wanted to sound like me, not like someone else. According to my dogs, "Mission Accomplished!"

I'm doing well on my own in that regard, thanks^^

I don't want to sound like others either. And I started to sound way better when I put more focus on myself and how I play than gear years ago. But it doesn't mean I don't want to sound best I can and play something that feels best. Also, the tone quest never ends, just like learning
Amen!

I'm still thinking... mesa ta-30 feels like a "safe choice", cornfords would be hit or miss. Any word on remaining amps? Also I'm not set on cab either yet so if you have any suggestion you're more than welcome to share.
^ anyone mention soldano yet? or jet city on the cheap since you're in europe.

i mean timmons' modern tones are mesa i think. EJ is marshall with a fuzz face and tube driver or tube screamer.

shouldn't actually be that hard, with your budget, it's just finding something you like. and with that budget, a couple of amps (if you have the room and inclination) might be an easier way to do it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Cornford MK50 II, seems like it would be the perfect amp for you. My buddy just sold one for £1300 in mint as new condition because he had to downsize (he replaced it with a Hurricane combo) for his small apartment, buy them while the price is low because it probably won't stay this low forever.

Have a listen to this little lead demo I did with the Hellcat - https://soundcloud.com/ryanvickerybluelightride/ambient-lead-rough-idea-for - Hellcat is a slightly different beast to the MK50 but you're in the same ballpark.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 25, 2017,
Quote by c.b.kwiatek
I'm still thinking... mesa ta-30 feels like a "safe choice", cornfords would be hit or miss. Any word on remaining amps? Also I'm not set on cab either yet so if you have any suggestion you're more than welcome to share.

It's Mesa's version of a Vox - it's a sharp sounding amp, definitely not creamy , Marshallish or violinish. You should listen to some clips - it doesn't sound anything like what you've been describing as your goal tone.
Last edited by reverb66 at Mar 25, 2017,
Quote by reverb66
It's Mesa's version of a Vox -  it's a sharp sounding amp, definitely not creamy , Marshallish or violinish. You should listen to some clips - it doesn't sound anything like what you've been describing as your goal tone.

Thank you for poiting it out, you have told me I'm retarded in even harsher way. I used to own lonestar and somehow expected I'd be able to bend the amp the way I want like the previous one but with a different "base". But I'm in such pain that breathing and thinking simultaneously is quite inconvenient. Also we all know youtube is a lie. I've seen great amps sound like crap and made questionable ones scream. The vox comparison was all I needed, definitely not something I'm after right now.

Only cornfords I came by are roadhouse and mk50 single channel. But I'm keeping an eye on a market. Dr. Z's seem too bright, glassy, clean and polished for me. But I may have tried wrong models, as max is based on vox. I'm interested in remedy, plexi based they say. Nice wattage, could get with dedicated cab for a decent price.

As for pedals you all so love, I will surely get tube driver, maybe some xotics as I like them(both big and small, rc/ac/bb and sl/ep). Zendrive is also one of the first to check, then I'll think of rest. Gonna see how the amp takes classics like ocd Also considering catalinbread belle epoch(the echoplex for the poor I guess, and maybe old, poor Eric). 

Not beeing able to test some is frustrating, and with all the love friedmans get I'm afraid they may be too beasty. There's also bad cat classic cat some of you would like to suggest I guess.

Also Stiletto. Al played them. Three versions, doesn't seem to get much love. I think I recall them beeing called stiff when not boosted. Also too huge.

MOREMOREMORE
Bad Cat BC-50? No master volume and 50W, would need a good attenuator)
Dr. Z Remedy /w Z Best 212 No master volume version again, but 20W may be manageable, still would get attenuator most likely, just in case)

Most amps that seem to interest me are plexi based but I've no way to try it out :/ But I'm starting to dig the doctor...
Last edited by c.b.kwiatek at Mar 25, 2017,
^ I was just about to throw in the Stiletto as a possibility. Of the three I would recommend the Ace, which is what I have. My first impression when I bought mine was that it was too bright, and it certainly can be, especially with single coils, but it really seems to smooth out in the mix. Plus with some tweaking it has no problem doing smooth, singing lead tones.

For how I use mine I don't need a boost. I don't know that I'd call it stuff, it's plenty reactive to volume and picking dynamics. If I used it to play metal I might use a clean boost, but I still have another gain mode to go for that.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion