Hello everyone,

I'm currently practicing and recording electric guitar through an audio interface (steinberg UR22 mkII) while using guitar rig 5 as an amp modeler. I've been using headphones but I want to be able to perform for my friends and family so I was thinking of purchasing a studio monitor (single one for now).

My first question is if this is actually a good setup, or should it be something else totally different from a studio monitor?

My second question is, assuming this is actually a decent setup, which ones would be the best fit? My main priority is the sound, it should sound as good as possible to my ears with the second priority being delivering the most accurate sound possible for recording. Concerning this point, I read in other threads, as an example, that the M-Audio BX8 would sound better than the Yamaha HS8 while the latter would actually be better for recording due to no sound coloring. I would probably favor the BX8 if this is the case.

I've been looking mostly at the Yamaha HS8, M-Audio BX8 and the KRK RP8 RoKit G3. The price range would be around 300~400€.

Any relevant input is much appreciated, cheers.
The question you are asking is do you want flat-response studio monitors or coloured speakers. If you have no interest in mixing and you would literally only use the speakers to play Guitar Rig 5 through (which I assume is the case since you say you are only looking at buying a single speaker) then I would recommend spending your money on a traditional amp rather a speaker for your computer.

To answer your question though, if you are looking at studio monitors then between the Yamahas and the KRKs I would go with the Yamahas. I haven't used the M-Audios so I can't comment on how those compare.
I have KRK Rokit 8's. They've got plenty of bottom end, and when I bought them I didn't want to have to fork over the money for a sub at that point. 
I'm not sure that absolutely flat response is really a requirement for most folks, and the rooms they set up are unlikely to allow flat response anyway. I have a 31-band stereo EQ that I can kick in should that be an issue, but I've mostly just used it to correct room glitches that annoy me.  Any difference in sound between the Yamahas and the KRKs can quickly be diminished by room acoustics and poor placement (I have MS90-36 stands for mine, but if you stick monitors on a desk or board, you're going to be fighting mechanical and acoustic coupling anyway). So I'd suggest not getting *too* cork-sniffy about these things. Right now I've got the KRKs set up to mimic a couple of the better venue PA systems. 

I have a set of (used) Adam S3X-H mid-field monitors that I haven't set up yet, so it'll be an interesting comparison when they are. 
Quote by Random3
The question you are asking is do you want flat-response studio monitors or coloured speakers. If you have no interest in mixing and you would literally only use the speakers to play Guitar Rig 5 through (which I assume is the case since you say you are only looking at buying a single speaker) then I would recommend spending your money on a traditional amp rather a speaker for your computer.

To answer your question though, if you are looking at studio monitors then between the Yamahas and the KRKs I would go with the Yamahas. I haven't used the M-Audios so I can't comment on how those compare.

I'm looking at buying a single speaker currently only because of finances, the objective is to get a second one eventually if I go in this direction. I do have an interest in mixing, I usually do some tracks on piano to ultimately solo over with the guitar or just record with someone else's backing tracks. This is is not my main priority but would be a close second to actual sound quality, definitely don't need a professional level to it though.

You mean getting a traditional amp to plug into the audio interface correct? I believed that at this price range the studio monitors would be much better quality.

dspellman Thanks for the input, honestly most of what you're saying goes over my head but I gather that it would be a decent setup for home playing/recording.
Quote by visean
I'm looking at buying a single speaker currently only because of finances, the objective is to get a second one eventually if I go in this direction. I do have an interest in mixing, I usually do some tracks on piano to ultimately solo over with the guitar or just record with someone else's backing tracks. This is is not my main priority but would be a close second to actual sound quality, definitely don't need a professional level to it though.

There is really no point just getting one speaker. Unless everything you are planning on listening to with it is in mono as opposed to stereo. If your budget is 300 Euros then get two speakers at 150 Euros each, rather than one for 300. If you have any interest in mixing whatsoever, do not waste your money on a single expensive speaker because you will not be able to mix effectively in mono.

Quote by visean
You mean getting a traditional amp to plug into the audio interface correct? I believed that at this price range the studio monitors would be much better quality.

What I mean is don't use the computer at all, go old-school and plug your guitar into the amp. Studio monitors are not conventionally used for what you are describing.

What dspellman is saying is that, simply put, if your room is crap then a good speaker will likely still sound crap. This definitely applies if you are buying studio monitors for mixing, but like I said usually you wouldn't buy a single studio monitor for the purpose you have described.
I prioritize sound but mixing and recording is still an important factor. I'm considering expending a bit more and getting 2xHS8 monitors. Thank you both for the help.
I own a pair of Rokit RP8s at my studio but when I play at home I just use an old (but decent) set of Logitech computer speakers.

Any full range speakers that have a decent sized driver will be more than fine for playing and performing, and you really only want to be looking into studio monitors if you're going to get into serious mixing.

Also don't just buy one; definitely buy two. If you only have the cash for one though, save up a bit longer or don't bother at all. 

Hope this helps .
'66 Fender Bassman, '82 Marshall JCM800 4210, '86 Laney AOR 100, '90 Marshall JCM900 MKIII 2500, '97 Marshall JCM600, Silverface Mesa Dual Rectifier, Peavey 6505, Marshall JCM2000 DSL-100, VOX AC30CCH, Marshall JMP-1 + EL34 50/50
One speaker will work. My Craigslist has, for some reason, a number of people selling ONE monitor. There are also a few who are selling a pair with one of them needing work, and there are still others selling a pair of studio monitors *really* cheap. They're near perfect for a bedroom or den, because they're designed to be "nearfield" (meaning "best listened to within about 8 feet"). And if you put them on monitor stands (which can include a stack of cinder blocks), you can put them at about ear level. I have a pair of stands that puts them at around 36" off the floor, and for me, seated, that's outstanding.