Alas, GAS has struck!

For those who don't know, I had an EBMM Albert Lee HH for a while, and it was a great guitar, but I wanted some tubes back in my life, and I couldn't justify buying one outright without getting rid of something, so off the Albert Lee went, and in came this guy:

An original Mesa Road King in all it's channel switching glory! For those not in the know, this thing is obnoxiously packed with features. 6(!) power tubes, a quad of 6L6GCs and a pair of EL34s (switched here to JJ E34Ls) which are assignable per-channel with the EL34s capable of running in pentode or triode, options for tube or diode rectification, a series and parallel effects loop, each assignable per channel, reverb levels for each channel. Four channels, three modes each. Pretty much everything is footswitchable.

The first channel is the "cleanest" channel for lack of a better word. it shares two modes with channel two, Clean and Fat, but it differs in that it has a Tweed mode (as compared to channel 2's Brit mode). While the Road King II features the clean channel from the Lonestar and is truly godly, the original is no slouch. Channel 1 can get the sparkliest of sparklies, all the way to crunch heaven where fat blues licks live. I have been using channel 1 as an actual clean channel, with healthy amounts of bass and treble and a scoop to the mids to try and get close to a Twin-sound. I use the Clean mode, as it is the lowest breakup mode. On channel 2 I use the Brit mode for all my general rock needs (with a pair of 6L6 and EL34, respectively). This mode is meant to be somewhere in the realm of a Plexi, though it still inherently has some heft to it that I could never seem to achieve with the old Marshalls I have played. Both channels are sick, and definitely some of the best low gain sounds I have played on a channel switcher.

Channel 3 and 4 are more or less the same, with Raw, Vintage and Modern modes, but the presence control extends further on channel 4, meaning that channel 3 would traditionally be a rhythm high gain sound and channel 4 would be the lead sound. I use channel 3 and 4 both in vintage mode, with more or less the same settings, each with 2 6L6 and 2 EL34. I bump the mids on channel 4 up a bit along with some additional volume to make that the lead sound. These channels are absolutely huge as can be expected from a Rectifier. I keep a Tubescreamer on at all times as is required with a Rec for any kind of tight technical licks.

I have to admit I think I preferred my old 2 channel Rec a bit to this for high gain, the Road King is a bit more fizzy, but it is still a fantastic sounding amp, and much more versatile than the old Rec. If I am being honest I am more of a Mark man, and if this hadn't come up for trade for my EBMM, I probably would have went for a Mark IV head, but given that I also have a Line 6 Helix that nails the Mark IV sounds, I'm more than happy to have the Road King as my "real" amp.

This post has went on far enough, I will post my other acquisition in a second!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Next:

What goes great with a new amp? A new guitar of course!

I've actually had the RK for about a month, but this I just got Monday with part of my tax return. This is the PRS SE Mark Holcomb signature, and it is a beast of a guitar for the price. I've looked it up and down and it is remarkably well done given the price (I got this new for $825 shipped). No finish flaws, no sharp or uneven frets, everything is attached solidly (no loose input jacks!), overall just an excellent guitar.

This comes with Mark's signature Seymour Duncan Alpha and Omega pickups, which are fantastic. The guitar comes tuned from the factory to drop C, and the pickups handle that beautifully, but I don't like drop C at all so, at the risk of being labeled a blasphemer, I tuned it up to standard After a minor truss rod adjustment and setting the intonation for standard, this thing slays. The scale is 25.5" as compared to the normal Custom 25", and it makes a difference. With the slender neck and longer scale, this thing is a shredding machine.

I mainly bought this because I wanted a similar scale fixed-bridge alternative to my Silhouette Floyd, but I wanted something a bit different as well. The fretboard on this is a good bit wider than the EBMM, and the sound is a bit thicker as well (I have the CrunchLab/Liquifire set in the EBMM). The top wasn't really a selling feature for me, I don't normally go for quilts, but it actually looks pretty nice. I mainly wanted the features and quality, but it is always nice if you can get a looker, too.

Overall, a great buy, and one that I didn't mind making new. For anyone that is curious, I got it from Ryan Fowler's Guitar Experience on Reverb. Great seller, shipped super quick.
Nice scores!!!
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
the holcomb se is so good. easily one of the best guitars you can buy off the shelf today.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
the holcomb se is so good. easily one of the best guitars you can buy off the shelf today.

I would challenge anyone to find a guitar as well put together with similar features for the price. I really wish they would do a Dustie Warring SE, but that might be too hopeful.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I would challenge anyone to find a guitar as well put together with similar features for the price. I really wish they would do a Dustie Warring SE, but that might be too hopeful.

all three sigs are pretty good. That's definitely the best six though.
The ht body is a little bit more comfortable but jackson had to compromise on the pickups.

I'm not crazy about Misha's, I haven't played one but Jacksons don't appeal to me in general. Jake's is pretty slick, I wouldn't mind having one of those for sure.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I'm not crazy about Misha's, I haven't played one but Jacksons don't appeal to me in general. Jake's is pretty slick, I wouldn't mind having one of those for sure.

ya misha's is definitely at the bottom for me.

The holcomb is definitely the best value and one of the best guitars available.
The asian jbm are very good too...i just wish they were able to do ebony for the fretboards. Rosewood doesn't look right on that color scheme.

awesome x2
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Congrats. I have the Roadking (II) myself and it's quite a versatile amp and can get pretty much any tone one desires.
Quote by Paroxysm
Congrats. I have the Roadking (II) myself and it's quite a versatile amp and can get pretty much any tone one desires.

Thanks man! I haven't had any experience with the RKII (the only way I get to play things is if I buy them, no high volume stores around here), but from I understand the low gain modes are awesome
Very cool.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Ippon
Sweet!  

You still need a Mark in the future.

I agree!
Quote by KailM
Congrats on both!  I've really got to buy a Recto someday -- don't know if I'll ever have the cash for one with all the bells and whistles like the Road King though; nice score!

Honestly, I wouldn't have got this one if I had to buy it outright. The previous owner offered it as trade and I thought I'd try it. I haven't the new multi-watt Rectos, but my favorite sound is still the old 2 channel I had. Pure badass.
Quote by gregs1020
the prs is the Mark.

*badump tiss*
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Congrats on some sweeeet gear acquisitions!

Road Kings are pretty much the tits. I'm still diggin' mine. (The RK, that is, not my tits, er....)

On a serious note, what speakers are in the cab you're running it through?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron

Road Kings are pretty much the tits. I'm still diggin' mine. (The RK, that is, not my tits, er....)

Note to self: Mesa Road Kings > BCKRedBaron's tits.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by BCKRedBaron

This is going to sound odd, but I use Eminence Screamin' Eagles in that cab. Old favorite of mine
Sweet nice score no question what you will be doing all weekend.

Congrats Rock On!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Thanks dude  

I'm planning on taking the rig over to the jamspace tomorrow if I get the chance.  
sweeet! HNGD!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Note to self: Mesa Road Kings > BCKRedBaron's tits.

That goes without saying...

Quote by dementiacaptain
This is going to sound odd, but I use Eminence Screamin' Eagles in that cab. Old favorite of mine

Thank you. I found my RK likes v30s more than most of my other amps, but I'm always searching for better speaker combinations than I have.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
That goes without saying...

Thank you. I found my RK likes v30s more than most of my other amps, but I'm always searching for better speaker combinations than I have.

Honestly I think the V30s are about perfect.  If I had my pick of it I'd probably use those with this guy, the Eagles are nice but a bit too loose for the RK.  They were great for the 6505+ I had, and they worked well with my Krank Nineteen80, but honestly I think they nailed it with the V30/RK pairing.
The cab I run mine through currently has v30s and Eminence/Splawn Small Blocks in an X, which I really like. I found the RK did not take well to the g12t75s I had in it before. The only other speaker I've had a chance to try mine through is a g12h100, which I think makes all my amps sound good.

Edit: as a side note I actually think my 6505 I recently bought (NAD coming eventually) goes better with t75s than v30s. I'm hoping to find some k85s or k100s to try too.
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Mar 24, 2017,
T75s are a real picky speaker in my experience.  I only ever liked the ones in my RM100 combo.  

I used to have some Small Blocks that I paired with the Eagles, that was an awesome combo.  I should get some more of those...
Just tried out turning off the boost again with some new settings, I think I'll leave it like this honestly. I was listening to Octavarium today and just remembered how awesome and fat that album sounds. I found some Petrucci settings on tbe web and tweaked from there, I've got something I'm happy with.
At first I was sad because you let go of an EBMM Albert Lee. 
And then I saw the amp and PRS. Lovely stuff, enjoy!
Quote by I K0nijn I
At first I was sad because you let go of an EBMM Albert Lee. 
And then I saw the amp and PRS. Lovely stuff, enjoy!

It was an awesome guitar, but I wanted something a bit different. I'd still recommend an Albert Lee to anyone who wants a fantastic playing instrument with a great neck and an original loom.