I bought an 8-string recently and the low F# is decent when dropped to an E, but sustains no sound when dropped to a D. I was told this would not be possible on a 27" scale and that I'd have to get a 30" scale to sustain a note that low. Am I screwed?

The low string that came with the guitar is .074 gauge
Last edited by ThereAndHere at Mar 23, 2017,
If the ferrule holes in your tuning heads are large enough, you can put whatever size string (and thus tune practically however low you want)
Thicker strings have a different timbre though, which is why ERG's usually have extended lengths- you can use thinner strings to reach a lower pitch, so it actually still sounds like a guitar and not a distorted bass

I play a 27'' in drop E with a .080, it's tight enough for me but I pick fairly hard. Optimal string tension is subjective
Thanks for your response. I wouldn't mind a more bassy sound, do you have any idea what kind of string I'd have to buy? I don't know much about strings

Your 27" in Drop E, is that a 6-string?
You're probably gonna have to buy a separate pack for your 6 or 7 strings and then buy a single string for your 8 (and maybe 7)th string.
I use a standard d'addario 7 string set (10's) and buy the .080 as a separate guitar string (also d'addario)

my 27" is an 8 string- agile 827

Look around on your local dealer's website and see what they have in terms of singles, should be a single string that would fit you- you're probably looking at 080 to 088 gauge 
kalium and string joy can sell you up to something like a .90

a 90 should be pretty good.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb