Hey guys!

Any body have tips for motivating lazy ass band members?

Thank you!
Last edited by therequ1em at Mar 23, 2017,
Schedule lots of gigs.  No gigs= no motivation.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 23, 2017,
Fire them.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Cajundaddy
Schedule lots of gigs.  No gigs= no motivation.

Probably this. Most bands break up due to a lack of progression.

So book gigs, and if you don't have enough songs to play a gig, learn enough songs, then book gigs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Cajundaddy and AlanHB said it all. No reason to practice or learn anything new if you don't have any gigs. I would at least have something on the table to have a deadline date that will encourage the band to get tight, learn new material and practice with conviction because there are upcoming gigs.  If you don't have gigs that's another issue to examine. Why? Is the band not good enough, is the material not commercial enough, or is no one seriously looking for gigs? Gigs are the motivation to make your fellow band members want to get better and the reason other players will want to join your band if it comes to that.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Mar 25, 2017,
I also regularly prepare lead sheets with keys, arrangements and demo recordings to speed the learning process so band mates can do their homework and show up prepared.  We have a community gig (30 songs) at the end of April with a different lineup of skilled players.  Set lists, lead sheets, demo recordings, and rehearsal schedule with weekly goals have already been sent.  These guys are pros and will woodshed the material and be ready.  2-3 hours/wk rehearsal with the full band and one separate vocal rehearsal to put together loose ends.

Band leading requires vision and focused leadership.  As a band leader it is our job to motivate the other players to want it.    

Too busy in your personal life to regularly make rehearsals or gigs?  This is not the band you were looking for.  We gig 1-2x per month and usually get paid pretty well (except bar gigs which pay little but offer an opportunity to test our new material).
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 25, 2017,
^^^ Sounds great Cajundaddy, that's​ the way covers are meant to go.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I always make sure to point out the positives and the stuff that was really good about rehearsals while framing criticisms constructively and encouragingly. Some people feel extremely defeated and lose their motivation if they feel like what they're doing isn't good. I don't make up shit, I just point out the stuff that I liked as bandleader and propose ways to improve on stuff we can do better. 

I also reminded my band for my very first gig the significance for all of us doing the show that we did and highlighted the ways that everyone would benefit. Little things like that help morale and remind everyone of their importance. I don't baby anyone; I just give credit where and when credit is due.