Page 1 of 3
What trends do you dislike in music.

There's this kind twangy low bass beat I hear in some bands/dance acts like Clean Bandit and it just pisses me off it's such a bad sound.
Breathy female vocals, usually on a melancholic acoustic cover of another pop song. 

Just fuck off with them already. 
Contemporary trends tend to suck in general.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
Quote by soundgarden1986
metal covers of pop songs. or just metal covers of things in general

if thats not what ur talking about then idk the only thing ive really listened to for like 4 months now is michael jackson and twice

95% of all rock covers of pop songs suck
95% of all covers suck
I don't like the current trend of electronic music, whatever it's called. It all sounds the same to me.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 24, 2017,
This whole 12-note thing has grown pretty old
I really hate nostalgia.

Musicians who try and copy old stuff - why listen to them over the originators? Do something new
Quote by matt bickerton
Breathy female vocals, usually on a melancholic acoustic cover of another pop song. 

Just fuck off with them already. 

All of this.

And whiny bitchass short men who wear trilby's doing the same thing with a ukelele or acoustic guitar.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
All of this.

And whiny bitchass short men who wear trilby's doing the same thing with a ukelele or acoustic guitar.

Ed Sheeran is triggered by this
Also like 90% of songs are waaay longer than they need to be.

Keep it short and sweet. If the listener really wants to hear the same thing repeated for another two minutes they will just play the song again...
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Ed Sheeran is triggered by this

Yeah well fuck 'iiiim, overrated poster boy of depressing mediocrity that he is.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Generic 2017 looking guys with quiffs playing different combinations of C-G-Em-D-F with their fingers on an acoustic guitar, and singing in a Cockney accent getting loads of attention for doing Ed Sheeran and Shawn Mendes covers
Tangentially related:
When I started playing guitar, bands like Blink-182 were at the height of their popularity. Granted, older folks thought they were the cancer that was killing music, but the point is that they were a very popular band that prominently featured distinctive guitar parts. Everyone knew how to play a Blink-182 riff, and for many people they were sort of a gateway band into other styles of music.
That doesn't exist any more. Ed Sheeran is pretty much the only pop star these days who would inspire young people to play guitar. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it goes to show how much trends have changed in a relatively short time.
Good points above

I'm just tired of the chainsmokers trying to change the face of EDM music in general. Their songs get #1 in US charts for being generic as fuck, like their song "selfie". People have been saying they're the nickleback of EDM, and I whole heartedly agree.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by sashki
Tangentially related:
When I started playing guitar, bands like Blink-182 were at the height of their popularity. Granted, older folks thought they were the cancer that was killing music, but the point is that they were a very popular band that prominently featured distinctive guitar parts. Everyone knew how to play a Blink-182 riff, and for many people they were sort of a gateway band into other styles of music.
That doesn't exist any more. Ed Sheeran is pretty much the only pop star these days who would inspire young people to play guitar. It's not necessarily a bad thing but it goes to show how much trends have changed in a relatively short time.

I kinda miss the whole massive indie boom of the 00s because it did get people into interesting music.

There's also few gateway bands into rock and stuff now. New wave of pop punk is obviously really good I think but there's no mainstream-ish bands like MCR getting people into that music I guess.
Pops actually been doing the reverse in less popular genres, for instance, metal. It's been happening for a while in places, such as Amaranthe or whatever their name was basically being an X Factor inspired band but it's become a bit more overt, like this:

Which I could take or leave, because its really fucking twee but really well made.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
They still exist but it's a lot more fractured, with everyone in their own niche.
When I talk to people about music, they always mention bands I've never heard of, even though they are very popular within their respective genres. There's no longer a single channel for music distribution, which is both a blessing and a curse. I blame the Filter Bubble™.
Quote by sashki
They still exist but it's a lot more fractured, with everyone in their own niche.
When I talk to people about music, they always mention bands I've never heard of, even though they are very popular within their respective genres. There's no longer a single channel for music distribution, which is both a blessing and a curse. I blame the Filter Bubble™.

this is very true

in my sub genres i think the scene is better than its ever been but it comes at the cost of artists being ubiquitous and popular

bands from that era have also found it hard to maintain momentum into the new world as well ive found
-When the vocalist starts talking or whispering, especially if it's someone with an annoying accent

-Deliberate string squeek

-Overly repetitious vocals (e.g. repeating the same line over and over repeating the same line over and over or using the same verse multiple times)

-Forced endings (this mostly seems to happen on songs designed for the radio where they want to hit the 3 minute mark)

-Songs that just have one riff/use the same fucking riff for the verse and the chorus 

-etc
I have nothing important to say
Quote by EndTheRapture51
EpiExplorer sorry but that song is so cool it's like periphery but listenable

Yeah like, I don't dislike it but it'll only really be good in the context of other bands doing something similar.

Of which, there are not many.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
The lack of actual instruments being played.
Most of it seems to computer generated.
Mostly in the Pop category.....but it's bleeding into other genre's
????
Quote by justin_webb94
The lack of actual instruments being played.
Most of it seems to computer generated.
Mostly in the Pop catugory.....but it's bleeding into other genre's

This is also true and I present this pile of tosh:

There is no way guitars sound like this, all that harsh cutting out after a note is played is addled to fuck. It's far too rhythmically perfect. I can't imagine it sounding anywhere near as 'perfect' live.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
I don't mind whether or not the instruments are real, but I don't like the cold, clinical aesthetic that seems to be popular in EDM and overproduced rock.
Quote by sashki
I don't mind whether or not the instruments are real, but I don't like the cold, clinical aesthetic that seems to be popular in EDM and overproduced rock.

There was this trend around 2012 where every single producer seemed to overproduce the drums with a big booming bass drum that sounded exactly the same from band to band and made all the drummers sound the same
Bandwagons.

Everything is fine when it's new. You get a couple of well put together, thought out tracks from a few musicians. But suddenly everyone thinks it sounds good and you get hundreds of crap songs being put together based around a certain sound because it might be popular. Sometimes you get some that use said sound well, but they end up being labelled as 'underground *insert genre*' and don't seem to get much recognition until the fad has started to die down.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
I blame producers more than artists. The mold and fabricate the musician to for trends.
????
Polyphia is great. I can finally listen to prog in my office that isn't dadrock or a audio dungeons and dragons cosplay.

They're making musicianship mainstream friendly. It's like Avenged Sevenfold without the black nail polish cringe.

EpiExplorer
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 24, 2017,
I sort of feel like that first video is okay because they're clearly a boyband playing guitars with pointy headstocks and represent some sort of entry point for people to guitar music who previously haven't listened to anything beyond Simon Cowell's label

The second video seem to me to be just as fake/overproduced/manufactured but instead represent marketing that kind of big budget pop-metal to people who already like guitar music but would otherwise be spending their money on independent and original stuff?

Does this make sense
Quote by smb
I sort of feel like that first video is okay because they're clearly a boyband playing guitars with pointy headstocks and represent some sort of entry point for people to guitar music who previously haven't listened to anything beyond Simon Cowell's label

The second video seem to me to be just as fake/overproduced/manufactured but instead represent marketing that kind of big budget pop-metal to people who already like guitar music but would otherwise be spending their money on independent and original stuff?

Does this make sense

Tortured analogy ahoy:

it's sort of like near me there's a restaurant that does burgers but all freshly ground meat, freshly baked bread, organic everything and healthy toppings etc. There's also a steak restaurant across the road that does the same cheap steak most restaurants buy (from K&N I think)

I like the burger place because it's showing that you can do what, say, McDonalds do but in a proper, healthy, independent and unique way

I hate the steak place because they're pretending to be a proper good restaurant but it's the same shit you'd get on your plate in a Greene King or Wetherspoons
Last edited by smb at Mar 24, 2017,
Quote by JustRooster
Polyphia is great. I can finally listen to prog in my office that isn't dadrock or a audio dungeons and dragons cosplay.

They're making musicianship mainstream friendly. It's like Avenged Sevenfold without the black nail polish cringe.

EpiExplorer

hey

avenged sevenfold have evolved to their "rednecks who like space" phase of their career now
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hey

avenged sevenfold have evolved to their "rednecks who like space" phase of their career now

brb, starting a Gun Owners for NASA lobbyist group. We've already got the best name for space rednecks in Deke Slayton.
Pretty much anything in the current rap genre and associated offshoots.

I enjoyed music such as Snoop Dogg, it has some musicality and talent to it.
But a lot of this new stuff is a crappy beat with one or two annoying sounds and some guy talking over it, not really "rapping" but... talking, or "singing" off key.
"Lil Yachty" kind of sums up what I'm saying.
EndTheRapture51

Oh man, early space program names all sound like country singers.

Buzz Aldrin
Gus Grissom
Deke Slayton
Jack Swigert
Eugene Cernan
Rusty Schweickart
Quote by smb
I really hate nostalgia.

Musicians who try and copy old stuff - why listen to them over the originators? Do something new

I hate to say it because it sounds so cheese, but Starbucks had this CD of acoustic covers of older songs and it was tip top.

Quote by justin_webb94
I blame producers more than artists. The mold and fabricate the musician to for trends.

^This.
Last edited by 33db at Mar 24, 2017,
That sounds ideal for listening to while you work on your novella on your macbook
Page 1 of 3