Page 1 of 2
What gear have you owned that you would in hindsight recommend people to steer well clear of, and why?

This may include guitars as well as amps & accessories.

Here's my experience with a recent purchase that inspired me to make this thread.

I got myself a Floyd Rose 'The Key' tool that is designed to make it more convenient to adjust the intonation on a Floyd.

DON'T BUY IT! TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!

Not only does it only work on bridges with OFR dimensions, but it's basically 2 pieces of bent metal, a threaded screw and a spring. All for $20. What a ripoff.

When you mount the key to the bridge and remove the intonation hex screw in the baseplate, the action of loosening off the screw causes the saddle to lift up out of its place on its baseplate. This is enough to throw off the guitar's intonation. Only turn out the screw to the absolute minimum to get the saddle to move.

My biggest peeve with this tool however is that in the action of the saddle block bolt pulling inwards against the key tool puts so much stress on the threads that it makes the thumbscrew on the tool almost impossible to turn by hand. This problem would be fixed if the tool came with a hex hole on the end of the thumbscrew so you can adjust the thumbscrew with an allen wrench, but it doesn't. You can only adjust the thumbscrew by hand and the tension of the string pressing on the thread makes adjusting the intonation almost impossible to do.

Sure, you can loosen off the string to make the screw far easier to turn, but that defeats the entire point of the tool.

Don't waste your money. Total garbage.

Your turn.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Good idea for a thread.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Let us go ahead and get the big ones out of the way:

Line 6 Spider
Marshall MG
Any distortion pedal with "Metal" in its name under $100 USD new

//thread
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 24, 2017,
ibanez talman acoustic.

junk is offended when you call a talman junk.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by justin_webb94
Line 6.....just stay away from it all
I will say I tried a 5 recently and was somewhat surprised at how not-bad it sounded. Relative to the price and comparing to MKs 1-4, though.
Anything from Behringer; not only because it is bad but at only a bit more, if not the same price, one can get Joyo or used X series Digitechs among many others anyway.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Mar 24, 2017,
MXR Carbon Copy:  If you play Hard Rock or Metal you'll hardly notice it even when its cranked.  Sounds too dark.  
MXR '75 Vintage Phase 45 pedal.  No LED, you wont be able to tell if its on or not.  Only accepts 9volt battery and no option for power supply.  
Guitars with Floyd Rose tremolos:  How many songs do you play with a whammy bar?  Is it worth the hassle of your guitar constantly being too sharp or flat?  
Changing strings on Floyd Rose is a pain as well.  
Blackstar HT-5R:  12" speaker in a small cabinet resulting in a boxed in sound.  Stock speaker sucks.  Reverb sucks  
Anything Line 6:  just stay away.  
Marshall MG Series:  You'll get the name brand but not the Marshall you really want.  

Crybaby Original GCB-95 and the Digitech Bad Monkey - both major tone suckers.  
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by Will Lane
Let us go ahead and get the big ones out of the way:

Line 6 Spider
Marshall MG

//thread

i dunno, i mean the digitech hardwire metal is actually pretty decent, at least if you want that supersaturated type of thing.

but yeah on the mg (i'd add avt as well) and spider
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
While it is partly my fault for having n00b expectations, I can't recommend the Krank Distortus Maximus pedal. It was my first distortion pedal, and IME, its distortus is NOT maximus. I've since found better.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I get the Spider hate here, but lets not lump all Line 6 in there guys... I mean if nothing else the Helix is pretty great.

I'll throw out Stagg guitars. I've owned one, played more, and regretted all of it. Just not very cost effective.

Wasn't too impressed with Planet Waves' cheaper line of cables. Had three and they all failed with little wonking.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
an interesting idea for a thread but already i see items on here that aren't what i'd call intrinsically bad.  can't say much bad about the MXR Carbon Copy and while it may not be ideal for down tuned modern metal (never tried it with that in mind) it certainly has proved rather popular for many genres. i concur with the lets not lump all Line 6 products together as that would just be wrong. certainly things like the Echo Park and the POD series are well respected and very useful  products. 

i'll certainly 2nd Behringer fx pedals as something i'd hesitate to recommend. while the sound on many of them isn't bad and for certain pedals actually pretty good the build quality just isn't there.  as cheap backups sure they can work in a pinch but for those who need something that will be reliable for a good amount of time not the way to go. 
Fender Mustang 1, Outlaw Effects, Danelectro effects, MXR il Torino overdrive.
Quote by Gosss
MXR Carbon Copy:  If you play Hard Rock or Metal you'll hardly notice it even when its cranked.  Sounds too dark.  
MXR '75 Vintage Phase 45 pedal.  No LED, you wont be able to tell if its on or not.  Only accepts 9volt battery and no option for power supply.  
Guitars with Floyd Rose tremolos:  How many songs do you play with a whammy bar?  Is it worth the hassle of your guitar constantly being too sharp or flat?  
Changing strings on Floyd Rose is a pain as well.  
Blackstar HT-5R:  12" speaker in a small cabinet resulting in a boxed in sound.  Stock speaker sucks.  Reverb sucks  
Anything Line 6:  just stay away.  
Marshall MG Series:  You'll get the name brand but not the Marshall you really want.  

If a Floyd goes both sharp and flat it's most likely user error. If you have a trem that does go sharp/flat you're supposed to zero it by divebombing before tuning, then it will only go in tune or sharp, since you have set the guitar up to put itself in tune when you push the trem down. But properly maintained you would keep the knife edges lubricated with grease and every couple of years take a file/paper to them, and then you shouldn't get any sharp/flat issues.

I have 2 locking trem guitars, one of them is a mid-range guitar cheapy (Floyd Rose II) the other a Lo Pro Edge, both of them stay in tune without returning sharp/flat after heavy use. Changing strings is easy, you replace one string at a time, tune it to pitch, stretch and repeat and you won't need to do the stabilizing process of removing and then replacing all 6 strings, thus making it very quick.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Mar 24, 2017,
My first amp was a Crate Flexwave, and I couldn't get a good sound out of it to save my life. Eventually the channel switching stopped working properly and I passed it on to a primarily-acoustic player who wanted to do a little electric. (Part of the sound issue was the inevitable result of teenage-newbie-metalhead-who-can't-EQ meets cheap-solid-state-amp, but all the same it was not a good amp.)
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Anything from Behringer; not only because it is bad but at only a bit more, if not the same price, one can get Joyo or used X series Digitechs among many others anyway.

Wait... are you saying Digitechs are bad? Or that for a little more you can get a digtech?
I don't know about anyone, but I would discourage any beginners from the Squier VM Jaguars and Jazzmasters. They're cool, but they need work.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
33db For a little more if not the same price as behringer one can get X series Digitechs. Not bad at all 
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, i mean the digitech hardwire metal is actually pretty decent, at least if you want that supersaturated type of thing.

but yeah on the mg (i'd add avt as well) and spider

+1, the TL-2 is a great pedal for its price especially now since they're available at $30-$40 used. Same layout as the Metal Zone might be off putting but it wipes the floor with it. 
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Mar 24, 2017,
Maidenheadsteve
OK I understand now, I happen to like Digitech, have several of their products and I am happy with them.

Also I would add Mooer to the list of "don't buy".
Last edited by 33db at Mar 24, 2017,
Quote by dementiacaptain
I get the Spider hate here, but lets not lump all Line 6 in there guys... I mean if nothing else the Helix is pretty great.

I'll throw out Stagg guitars. I've owned one, played more, and regretted all of it. Just not very cost effective.

Wasn't too impressed with Planet Waves' cheaper line of cables. Had three and they all failed with little wonking.

The Planet Waves cables that allow you to temporarily cut the signal are garbage. Dirt and dust inevitably gets into the switch when you put a cable on the floor and that's all it takes to stop it from working.

The American Stage cable is pretty great tbh. Can't fault them.

I agree though with Stagg guitars. Those things are shocking.
Quote by monwobobbo
an interesting idea for a thread but already i see items on here that aren't what i'd call intrinsically bad.  can't say much bad about the MXR Carbon Copy and while it may not be ideal for down tuned modern metal (never tried it with that in mind)

I think it does well for that application too. The dark nature of he pedal really helps give depth and texture to the tone, especially with leads.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Chuck in Stagg amps with Stagg guitars. I had the whole set and all of it was ridiculous. The clean wasn't clean and the distortion channel sounded like the amp would blow up. 

Also:
Gibson 1960 Les Paul Classics if you don't like skinny necks on Les Pauls. Mine didn't balance well at all either. It felt like falling out of my lap at all times. Didn't sound great either. On the other hand, I sold it to a guy that swore by those guitars and had multiple. 

Every string winder that doesn't have a tool for cutting the strings. Better to have both in 1 than having 2 tools in your case, imo. 

MXR DC Brick (formerly Dunlop DC Brick). Had an afwul lot of noise with it and returned it immediately. Get isolated outputs if you're powering pedals in front of the amp and in the loop at the same time.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I don't know about anyone, but I would discourage any beginners from the Squier VM Jaguars and Jazzmasters. They're cool, but they need work.

Seconded. I want to pick up one of the VM Jags, but I know what I'm getting into and that I'll end up replacing a significant portion of the hardware and possibly electronics as well, at significant expense. If you go into expecting "well it looks cool I'm just going to pick it up and play it" you're setting yourself up for a horrible time.
Quote by Will Lane

Contrary to popular belief, the DOD Death Metal, Boss Metal Zone, and Boss Heavy Metal all can sound great for old school extreme metal sounds if you actually have any idea what you're doing, but the general consensus I see is that anything that you plug directly into a tube amp that doesn't give you a smooth, violin-like lead tone or those silly modern rock and bleh modern "metal" crunch rhythms with everything at around noon is complete garbage.

That just seems to be the popular opinion from what I have seen. I don't know. Everyone seems to worship 6505s in their various forms but I think they sound awful so I guess the conclusion is that different people like different sounds and talking distortion among guitarists is worse than talking politics with your family on Thanksgiving.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Contrary to popular belief, the DOD Death Metal, Boss Metal Zone, and Boss Heavy Metal all can sound great for old school extreme metal sounds if you actually have any idea what you're doing

I mean yeah, if you want your tone to sound like someone just stuck their wang in a beehive.
Everyone seems to worship 6505s in their various forms but I think they sound awful so I guess the conclusion is that different people like different sounds and talking distortion among guitarists is worse than talking politics with your family on Thanksgiving.

6505s sound great for some stuff and awful for others. Pretty sure most people are going to agree that 6505s have better distortion than Metal Zone pedals. Unless, again, you want to recreate the sound of an octopus attacking a chalkboard with razerblades.
Quote by justin_webb94
Line 6.....just stay away from it all

Dumb. 
Four Variaxes, a buncha Pods, a Helix and a G90 here. 
Sound good, work good. Umgawa. 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Good idea for a thread.

Sure. You say that now. 

John Hammond: All major theme parks have delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked!   
Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but, John, if The Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

Quote by dspellman
Dumb. 
Four Variaxes, a buncha Pods, a Helix and a G90 here. 
Sound good, work good. Umgawa. 

Finally got a Helix then? Nice man.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Random3
I mean yeah, if you want your tone to sound like someone just stuck their wang in a beehive.

Again, It doesn't sound like that if you know what you're doing. It's more a matter of people not knowing how to actually work gear outside of the 12 o'clock range. I can't say for sure what the old 86 was used on, but there are quite a number of legendary albums with heavily sought after guitar tones using the HM-2 and MT-2, most obviously the 90s Swedish death metal bands and My Bloody Valentine.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
There are quite a number of legendary albums with heavily sought after guitar tones using the HM-2 and MT-2, most obviously the 90s Swedish death metal bands and My Bloody Valentine.

If you want a tone that sounds like that, and you have other gear that is similar enough to achieve that goal, I will concede that point.

To add to the thread topic, I have never used Bias myself but I have never heard anything approaching a good guitar tone from it.
Last edited by Random3 at Mar 25, 2017,
wang in a beehive

I love that band!

Line 6 Pod 2.0. Bought one in college so I could play without getting yelled at by neighbors with thin dorm walls. It's fine in that capacity, but beyond that, it takes a massive amount of work to get a recordibg-worthy tone.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I had to check out what all the hype was on MT-2 and the HM-2, the MT-2 sounds thin to me.

I don't think I've heard a distortion pedal I like yet, the closest for me was the Rat.
I got a set of those Power Pins that are supposed to replace the pins on your acoustic and allow fast string switching.  They didn't fit on my guitar's bridge.  Now, could they be great on a guitar that they actually fit on?  Absolutely.  But I don't know if I'd suggest them just because they don't have a list that I could find of models that are/aren't supported.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Ernie Ball strings. Will probably get flak for that. I used to play them when that was all I could find/afford. But I find them clanky and weak compared to D'Addario and La Bella. The same gauges of their slinky just rattles on my fret board and their 7 string sets have lame gauges.

Also any cables other than livewire. The cost to quality plus the life time warranty are perfect.

Fret wrap. It's a crutch for sloppy playing. I can accept it placed between the nut and tuners though, cause my strings ring there no matter what.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Mar 25, 2017,
Quote by Liaztraht
Ernie Ball strings. Will probably get flak for that. I used to play them when that was all I could find/afford. But I find them clanky and weak compared to D'Addario and La Bella. The same gauges of their slinky just rattles on my fret board and their 7 string sets have lame gauges.

Also any cables other than livewire. The cost to quality plus the life time warranty are perfect.

Fret wrap. It's a crutch for sloppy playing. I can accept it placed between the nut and tuners though, cause my strings ring there no matter what.

I never cared much for Ernie Ball strings, either.  They sound really bright and metallic for the first week or so and then they get dull, in my experience.  D'Addario are nice, but I like GHS Boomers now.  Gotta rep a Michigan brand haha.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Liaztraht

I think it's acceptable to use one if you're in a professional recording studio that charges by the hour. It saves time, thus a lot of precious money from not having to re-record tracks because of string noise.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Page 1 of 2