So as said in the title I use my thumb, index and middle finger to hold my pick. I google'd on other threads and some said it was a bad habit and that people that do this should try using their thumb and index.
Is this true or should I just play with my preferred choice, i'm completely comfortable holding the pick and have no issues strumming or soloing btw.
I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you are comfortable playing and can execute all the techniques that you need there would be no need to change.
There have been plenty of well known pro players who use the pick with 2 fingers + thumb.

If you are having no issues now then why the self doubt?
Used to do this myself for many years, I made the switch to 1st finger and thumb (a long grueling process) but it massively helped my technique and more importantly consistency. Although, I tend to still play funk with 2nd finger and thumb.

Having said that, you probably can make it work. If you're happy, then there's no real need to change anything   

If you're concerned about limitations, I'd suggest having a look at Troy Grady's youtube channel- he's gone in to insane detail in regard to picking arm mechanics. Form there you can probably work out if your limiting yourself and if so how to sort it  
 never used a pick till recently  (14 years of playing)......... but i use the 2 finger hold when i do have a pick....
????
justin_webb94 As Jeff Beck said "Picks are for fairies"   of course you couldn't get away with saying that now, what with the PC bubble and all
I read an article in the July 2016 issue of Total Guitar magazine and Eddie Van Halen plays the same way you do.  He holds the pick with his thumb and both his index and middle finger.  This allows him to start fretboard tapping with this index finger while still holding the pick with his thumb and middle finger.  
Gosss on the other hand if you hold the pick exclusively with thumb and index you can tap with the middle finger.  You also have much easier facility with hybrid picking.

JbfMusic no, you wouldn't.  Because it's fantastically offensive to use those terms in a pejorative sense.  Please refrain from doing so, even as a quote.  This community is supposed to be inclusive and friendly and if you use terms like that as anything to look up to then we're not fostering that attitude.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by cdgraves
It's not a thing I'd recommend, but there's nothing wrong with it unless it's stopping you from playing things you want.

yep agreed. if someone came to me asking me what way to hold the pick, i'd usually say "thumb and index finger", since, while there's not really any right or wrong, most people probably do that and it has some advantages as Zaphod_Beeblebr says. However if someone came to me who already was used to using thumb, index and middle finger, and asked me if they should change (as is happening here), I'd say what you did- don't change it unless it's holding you back.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I hold my pick between my index and thumb, however I don't hold it like most guys I see playing on YouTube.  
They hold the pick between their thumb and the side of their index finger where I hold mine more parallel to my index finger's fingernail.  
I thought I was somehow playing incorrectly or inefficiently and tried to re-learn it holding the pick on the side of my index finger.  
I gave up since I'm already used to picking the way I do.  I also didn't want to give up my trailblazing scale runs which I've practiced for so long.  
The only difference I see between my way and others is that my diagonal angle on the strings goes from lowest part of the pick towards the bridge side and the upper part of the pick towards the neck side as opposed to the other way around.  
Quote by Dave_Mc
yep agreed. if someone came to me asking me what way to hold the pick, i'd usually say "thumb and index finger", since, while there's not really any right or wrong, most people probably do that and it has some advantages as Zaphod_Beeblebr says. However if someone came to me who already was used to using thumb, index and middle finger, and asked me if they should change (as is happening here), I'd say what you did- don't change it unless it's holding you back.

but you'll never be able to tap!
think of the tapping
think of the chillun
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
doesn't evh hold his pick between thumb, first and second finger?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JbfMusic
Used to do this myself for many years, I made the switch to 1st finger and thumb (a long grueling process) but it massively helped my technique and more importantly consistency. Although, I tend to still play funk with 2nd finger and thumb.

Having said that, you probably can make it work. If you're happy, then there's no real need to change anything

If you're concerned about limitations, I'd suggest having a look at Troy Grady's youtube channel- he's gone in to insane detail in regard to picking arm mechanics. Form there you can probably work out if your limiting yourself and if so how to sort it  

Ditto
I once noticed that, during songs that were all strumming (and not delicate stuff), I had subconsciously added my middle finger to my pick grip. I guess when I was hitting the strings harder, it made me less likely to drop the pick? It wasn't something I ever found myself doing at other times though, it seems like it might restrict movement of the index finger.