Lately I've been craving a new amp but I don't have a huge budget since I'm just after saving all summer for my ESP M-II (which I am in love with) although it was my birthday recently and I have about €400 saved up. Here Ireland its very easy to find marshall JCM 800 combos from €350-€600 and there's a JCM 800 4210 that's very close to me but I was wondering if it would be worth it. should I wait and look for a 2x12 combo instead or would the difference be negligible? I'm not really interested in a stack because of how large they are so I believe a 50w combo would be just fine. I play mainly shred but also thrash metal, hard rock etc and I understand a boost pedal would probably be needed for this. Any one have any experience with JCM 800 combos?
Are you planning on moving it around at all (i.e. gigging or anything else)? If so, you might find yourself regretting a combo - it makes for a very heavy and difficult-to-move package. If there's a head equivalent of that particular model then that with a 1x12 cab might be a better bet. If it's just for home, then obviously that's not such an issue.

Also, tube combos pretty much have to be open-backed. People tend to prefer sealed-back cabs for that sort of thing. Besides that, though, can't comment on the specific model.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 25, 2017,
K33nbl4d3 Hey, sorry for the late reply. I understand I combo will be very heavy but i don't see any heads for sale in my local area and they tend to be more expensive anyway. Besides I could always put wheels on the combo like I see many other people do and you're right about the unsealed back but I've played some combos in the past and that never really bothered me. I will be gigging but only pub sized venues and my friend offered to lend me a 4x12 can if I need one for any gigs.
I have a 50w 1x12 Single Rectifier combo and I love the hell out of it. Quiet enough for bedroom, loud enough for stage. I imagine the 1x12 JCM800 would be equally satisfying, although I haven't owned one myself. John Petrucci actually prefers 1x12 cabs for their focused sound, so the lack of speakers isn't necessarily a bad thing, in fact it could be a positive. Does the JCM800 combo come with a clean channel? I recommend getting an amp with a clean channel, unless you have multiple amps for different sounds.
Last edited by andersondb7 at Mar 27, 2017,
I literally just found this video an hour ago, looking for a demo of the heavier tones from a different Quilter amp I've got my eye on.

Quilters are solid state, but are not modeling amps. They take pedals well, including dirt pedals. New in the USA, that particular head runs @$700, and there are other amps in the line as low as $149... as well as over $1300. Don't know if they're anywhere near as affordable overseas.

Still...might be worth your time to look into them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz don't see how we jumped from JCM800 to Quilter?

RedShred13 I prefer the 2x12, rather have a head and a 2x12 cab though. The JCM800 in and itself is a great classic amp that could be used for any purpose with the right overdrive pedals, etc.
diabolical

The vid is a direct comparison done by someone who owns both, likes both. I figure that makes them worth mentioning. Combine that with the OP's concerns about space and the video maker's point near the end about the Marshall weighing @6x the mass of the Quilter.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
JCM800 for Thrash, Shred, and Metal?

Soy sauce for sushi and sashimi?

Big screen TV for the Super Bowl?

The answer to all these questions is the same.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

I enjoy this post format; please keep working with it
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by JustRooster

truth be told.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Are you planning on moving it around at all (i.e. gigging or anything else)? If so, you might find yourself regretting a combo - it makes for a very heavy and difficult-to-move package. If there's a head equivalent of that particular model then that with a 1x12 cab might be a better bet. If it's just for home, then obviously that's not such an issue.

My Mesa Roadster 2X12 combo weighs in at just under 100lbs, I don't worry too much about moving it around because it has handles on the top and both ends so it can be carried around by two people it also has removeable casters, I will agree combos can be a pain to transport and carry.

TBH I have had a couple of combos as well as half stacks I never cared about the inconvenience of lugging them around mostly because I'm not a wimp.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Also, tube combos pretty much have to be open-backed. People tend to prefer sealed-back cabs for that sort of thing. Besides that, though, can't comment on the specific model.

The Mesa Roadster also has a closed back it is open at the top where the amp is but the speakers are fully enclosed which is rare I suppose for a combo but anyway it sounds great I have never been a fan of open backs.

I will confess that the 100lbs weight of the Mesa has never been an issue for me because I have only moved it once from the music store to my jam room.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Mar 30, 2017,
I tried a Marshal JCM 800 combo and it amazed me. Each chord I struck was like punch in the fa and the leads were perfect. I almost certain its the right way to go.
Really? I hate the 4210. Worst circuitry ever and hard to mod. Try to find a JCM900 SL/X. One channel (two master volumes) but a lovely shredder.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification