well i've been looking up some high gain distortion pedals for about 2 months now. And i've been impressed about different pedals, in different times. But i've now narrowed down on 2 pedals : the blackstar LT Metal & The Vox tonew garage V8 
Well do you think about it, do you have any suggestion...
BUT keep in mind that the type of music I play is really heavy(death metal & black metal mostly)....but at the same time I do mellow out and even play the acoustic guitar.....
I HAVE a Fender American Standard Sunburst Stratocaster with a 3 single pick-up arrangement
& a Marshall 50 watt amplifier and a few behringer pedals........................................................
Grawgos but their products aren't avialable and i'm on a tight budget
I HAVE a Fender American Standard Sunburst Stratocaster with a 3 single pick-up arrangement
& a Marshall 50 watt amplifier and a few behringer pedals........................................................
Grawgos i live in India, but i can get them shipped to india....but i'm gonna do that to other pedal...not distortions...
And what is your actual budget? I know some killer distortion pedals for metal, but price matters.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What amp do you have? Most new players make the mistake that if they have a shitty amp and shitty speakers they can just add a good distortion pedal to make it sound good. No, the good distortion pedal gets filtered through the shitty amp and shitty speakers and the end result is again shit.

Distortion pedal is good option when you have a good amp and good speakers but it has wrong distortion tone for what you are looking for (or you are looking for more variety but dont want another amp), or maybe it has no proper high gain channel at all and then you can add a dirt box to have one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus not 100% right dude... I got some friends that only bought guitar power-amp like Marshall 9200, Mesa Simul 9090, and Rocktron Velocity 300 they plug their pedal directly to the poweramp, and still sound great..

Actually pedal like Amp Tweaker, Blackstar HT series, Sansamp GT2, Etc.. Are guitar preamp, that mean they are already have "Half" requirement to be a complete guitar amp.. They only need a good poweramps to be complete...the choice is in the player decission..

Ps: there is No mistake in the art world, there only experimental...
Last edited by datresults at Mar 26, 2017,
Quote by datresults
MaaZeus not 100% right dude... I got some friends that only bought guitar power-amp like Marshall 9200, Mesa Simul 9090, and Rocktron Velocity 300 they plug their pedal directly to the poweramp, and still sound great..

Actually pedal like Amp Tweaker, Blackstar HT series, Sansamp GT2, Etc.. Are guitar preamp, that mean they are already have "Half" requirement to be a complete guitar amp.. They only need a good poweramps to be complete...the choice is in the player decission..

Read again what I said. What you mentioned are high wattage power amps and usually connected a cab. That is what I would count as good amplification, a one way of going at it. What I had in mind were kids with small Marshall MG combo's buying distortion pedals and expecting miracles.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by datresults

This frankly seems like a contrarian answer just for the sake of it. The spirit of MaaZeus'es post was that you can't polish a turd, which is what many try to do when they buy distortion pedals for their starter gear.

Yes you can use a poweramp and cab, but what Maa is trying to gather is if that is the case here
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I have a total of five. Each one sounds different on each amp I have. The best thing would be to save up for a good amp. I bought a Triple Wreck from someone who sold it to save up for a 5150 or other amp. It is the smarter thing to do. 
I think a lot of people posting are not aware of what is like in India.   Its not like this guy can go to his local GC and pick out anything he wants, Or just hit Amazon and place an order without being taxed to death or giving up his left nut .   And I noticed the OP hasn't chimed in after someone asked what amp he has, 
 Hey guys an MG could be a big deal for this guy and he saved up twice as long and spent twice as much as we would have,   I also think the guys posting from India might want to state the fact they're from India right off the bat,  This is a world wide forum by the way,  What I can buy cheap you cant even buy in India. 
Or at least not if you wish to keep both your nuts,   So with that being said.
Yes the amp you use really does matter,  Thinking your just going to plug some fancy peddle into your crappy 8 inch speaker having cheapo amp will get you the sound you desire is a mistake you and many other kids have made,  In fact in most cases they sound even worse, But to justify the purchase say it sounds great,   But then again opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one,  
Quote by nastytroll
I think a lot of people posting are not aware of what is like in India.   Its not like this guy can go to his local GC and pick out anything he wants, Or just hit Amazon and place an order without being taxed to death or giving up his left nut .   And I noticed the OP hasn't chimed in after someone asked what amp he has, 
 Hey guys an MG could be a big deal for this guy and he saved up twice as long and spent twice as much as we would have,   I also think the guys posting from India might want to state the fact they're from India right off the bat,  This is a world wide forum by the way,  What I can buy cheap you cant even buy in India. 
Or at least not if you wish to keep both your nuts,   So with that being said.
Yes the amp you use really does matter,  Thinking your just going to plug some fancy peddle into your crappy 8 inch speaker having cheapo amp will get you the sound you desire is a mistake you and many other kids have made,  In fact in most cases they sound even worse, But to justify the purchase say it sounds great,   But then again opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one,  

True, but even if he had a Marshall MG there is a big difference if he has Mg15 wormbox or an actual head+cab. With the combo, its not worth to toy around with pedals until you get a proper amp. But if he has the head+cab it does have a clean solid state power amp which can work as a good platform for Preamp pedals. Mooer just released a bunch of affordable mini-preamp pedals (model 009 is a good aproximation of Engl Blackmore for example) and having one connected to the FX Return of the MG head would probably sound miles better than the MG's own distortion. Ordering one from China should not be a big problem, I think?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Think about all the saving they can get on sitars though, they can have the Yngwie Malmsteen Anushka Shankar limited edition for almost half what we pay here
Seriously though - I remember we talked to other guys from India and I remember they have pretty decent selection of Brit brands, so Marshall and Laney are probably the amps most sold, Commonwealth and all...

With that in mind - I'd say to OP: look up Laney Cub or Laney VC15. If you can go that route you won't need distortion pedals and it will sound a lot better.
Washburn Soloist Distortion is one of the best pedals for black metal. It is also very affordable. Check it out on youtube. I have one and I love it. 
Quote by diabolical
- can you find other Blackstar pedals in your area? I remember the HT range of pedals not being bad sounding. I think they had HT-Metal.

David Gilmour uses their HT Dual Distortion, and he's a rather picky dude when it comes to his tone, as I recall.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
hey guys i'm back 
and for those who think i didn't respond because i have a shitty amp,... well the thing is i have a Marshall 50 watt solid state amp....and yeah it might be crappy 
but i'm a really crazy person who fucking loves to shred....and do blackened death metal. WELL I have made up my mind to change the colour of my skin though.....
Quote by diabolical
are you going for vetiligo or re-vitiligo?

Nooooo..... Not like that
I'm gonna do what Michael Jackson did.......
diabolical ok i don't want that....ever heard of skin transplant
gorkyporky you said that right....
Slooowly steering back on topic.

I advise to take a look at AMT Legend or Mooer Micro Preamp pedals. Unlike traditional distortion pedals these are preamps, which mean they should be connected directly into the FX Return of your amplifier. This bypasses the preamp and toneshaping circuit of your amp completely. AMT Legend series are all analog (which I personally prefer) and Mooers equivalents are digital (basically a computer emulating an amp). Traditional distortion pedals are highly dependant on how good your amplifier is since they have play well together, but preamps work just fine as long as your amp has a functional and cleanly amplifying power amp section, leaving the preamp pedal and your speaker to do the majority of the work.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
AMT is indeed a good choice if you don't plan to take it on the road with you. My AMT barely lasted one year on the road and then warranty and support were a nightmare, I had to fight tooth and nail for about a month for replacement, then just decided to order the parts and fix it myself. In comparison, I've had MXR products conk on me as a tone pot got squashed during a ride in our band trailer, the guys from MXR replaced it, didn't even bother to ask what happened, I felt bad as I wanted to tell them the long story of how we went on a mini tour
I'm not too experienced with many different distortion pedals, but this came out recently and has been getting good reviews. It's inspired by Ola Englund's chugy sound, and it seems to do a pretty good job at being an all round chunky distortion pedal from what I've heard, it's at least way better sounding than the MXR fullbore metal