I have two guitars I'm trying to sell and I'm wondering what the best way to get them off my hands is. They both have upgraded pickups, so I don't want to just take them to Guitar Center, because they don't take modifications into account. Has anyone had success on Reverb, Craigslist, or at Pawn Shops? Are there any other methods you would recommend? Thanks for any help 
Best way to get them off your hands is to sell them to a music shop. By the way, I've seen modified guitars at Guitar Center.

EDIT: I'm assuming you know that this won't get you as much money, but just in case.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Mar 26, 2017,
Quote by samuelgoldber
I have two guitars I'm trying to sell and I'm wondering what the best way to get them off my hands is. They both have upgraded pickups, so I don't want to just take them to Guitar Center, because they don't take modifications into account. Has anyone had success on Reverb, Craigslist, or at Pawn Shops? Are there any other methods you would recommend? Thanks for any help 

Put the stock pickups back in, sell the guitar to GC, sell the pickups separately.

Or sell through another route, GC has the advantage of being pretty much a guaranteed sale. eBay or whatever might get you more money, but it might also take weeks.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Local facebook groups have been awesome for me.  I've almost left craigslist and reverb behind.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Give it to me. I'll sell it for you and give you 90% of what I make.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
If you just want them gone and/or desperately need the money, a music shop is the easiest option. If you want to get decent cash for them, stuff like craigslist, gumtree or facebook gear exchanges will get you decent rates. If it's hard to move, eBay can be a viable option and generally with guitars slightly higher prices on eBay will account for most of the extra costs you have selling through there. That's not a guarantee, though, and with very common stuff sometimes the eBay prices are nothing, which also makes it impossible to sell for decent money anywhere else I haven't tried Reverb but it's there.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Put the stock pickups back in, sell the guitar to GC, sell the pickups separately.
This too. A modified guitar is basically never worth the sum of its parts.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Mar 26, 2017,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
A modified guitar is basically never worth the sum of its parts.

That applies to other stuff as well such as cars. The only time it ever increases the value is if you are selling it directly to someone that wants your modifications, which will generally never happen. If anything, mods potentially (to varying degrees when selling privately and almost 100% of the time when selling to a middleman like Guitar Center) decrease the value in the eyes of a potential buyer because they would have to potentially put time and effort into restoring it to its original condition. This especially goes with things like unusual paint jobs.

There are almost no circumstances where changes to an instrument increase value. The only real exceptions I could think of are things like adding a pickup to an acoustic instrument provided that it makes no permanent modifications (cutting wood or screwing anything directly into the instrument), but the added value to the instrument is far less than the cost of the pickup (ie a 200 monies active pickup added to an acoustic will likely only add 10-20% of that pickup's value to instrument, so you are still better off removing the pickup and selling them individually. There are definitely other things, but they are few and far between and, again, add less value than the sum of the parts.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by samuelgoldber

Putting different pickups in the guitar adds nothing to its resale value. The more a guitar deviated from its original condition, the less value it has. Even if these new parts are considered 'upgrades'. People don't want to buy guitars knowing that other people have messed with them in the past.

Put the stock pickups back in, sell the guitar on Ebay, then put the pickups you upgraded the old guitar with in your new guitar.

GC is the worst possible place to sell your gear. They'll give you absolutely nothing for it. GC used is designed specifically to make money off you. They will give you zero money for the guitar, mark its price up by 15% so they make a profit, then sell it for a crazy cheap price.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by PSimonR
So, what is wrong with using EBay? 

I've got a couple of amps I need to sell and possibly a guitar.

Mostly nothing is wrong with eBay. Occasionally, though, a buyer will be a complete fucking helmet, and it'll take weeks to sort things out and get your money.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by PSimonR

One issue is that eBay and Paypal take a big cut. You kinda just have to decide whether the trade-off is worth it to you. If you want to sell your guitar and avoid getting scammed, you might choose eBay over Craigslist. If you're not all that worried about how quickly you can sell it and you want a company that doesn't take such a big cut, Reverb may be more suited for you.
Free Ali
Quote by PSimonR

It varies. Its good points are that sometimes advertising nationwide (or internationally) is the only way to sell something relatively niche (or at least sell much quicker), that no meetings need to be arranged so it's sometimes the most convenient way to get a decent amount of cash (i.e. not selling to a store) if you haven't got a huge amount of time on your hands, and that if you put it up for a fixed price there's limited scope for wankers giving you silly offers of a Joyo and a toothpick for a Gibson R9. The bad points are that it has fees (usually 10% plus a smaller PayPal charge) which are sometimes covered by a higher market price on there and sometimes not, that you're competing with the whole country/world so some wanker can post something he doesn't want for half of market price and you've just got to deal with that, which is less likely with Craigslist-type things, and that the buyer protections generally trump seller protections (which isn't a problem with the 95% of people that just want to buy shit and get it ASAP, but is with the 5% that are slapsy's complete fucking helmets).

Generally, if I have a fair bit of free time I use Gumtree first because there are fewer middlemen so if someone bites you get the cash without any waiting or extra fees, then if the offers are scarce or unimpressive I generally put an eBay ad up alongside it, at a higher price to cover the fees if it looks like I can get away with that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Best way?  Fastest or most $$ in your pocket?

Fastest- Guitar center, just take the hit and be done.

Most $$ in your pocket- Take really good quality pics in excellent light, write a very detailed description, do a Youtube vid demonstrating it's awesomeness (if you can play really well and make it sound great).  Then price it at around 1/2 what you paid and post on both CL and fleabay.  Whichever generates a solid buyer, take the $$.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Yeah pickup upgrades won't net you much of an increase even if you sell privately, as everyone's been saying. If you have the original pickups and can be bothered, putting them back in and selling the upgraded pickups separately will get you a bit more (but it's debatable if it's enough more to be bothered, unless you enjoy soldering etc.).

Another option is selling through a shop via a consignment or commission sale. You won't get the money as quickly since you have to wait for it to sell (and it might not sell at all if you're unlucky), but this can be a nice halfway house between accepting the lowball price you're going to get from selling to the shop directly (since they have to make a profit) and the bother and risk of selling privately. And with what fees are these days on Ebay and similar, you might not lose much money either. Granted, it's not the best way to sell if you're in a hurry for the money.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 27, 2017,