So I'm looking at getting a new guitar, specifically this one ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/Les-Paul-Custom-PRO-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar.gc ), and I know I'm going to need a better amp if the I'm actually going to notice a difference between it and my current guitar (a cheap ibanez gio).

I'm looking at getting a 20W fender mustang V2. Would this be a good enough amp to go with the better guitar or would I need to look for something better? and if so what?

BTW my current amp is just an ibanez GTA 15R.

Budget wise I'm just trying to keep it around 100$ but I'd be open to going higher if it's really worth it.
You'll find much more versatility from the Mustang. You will be able to do all of your settings from the computer, and you'll be pleasantly surprised when provided a copy of Ableton Live for free where you can record directly over USB. Perfect choice so long as you're just practicing in your room.
I love the higher end Epiphone Les Paul guitars. If your are looking for that chunky Les Paul sound, that guitar is a good pic. The Mustang amp is a good amp and for the same price you might want to check out the BOSS Katana 50. It's the same price and sounds great.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I don't think the Mustang is your best shot. i had a student with one and after helping him edit presets still pretty vanilla.

if you want heavier tone, Peavey vip
if you want good low to mid gain and valvetronix
I haven't tried a katana, but the demos look good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have to agree the Peavey modellers sound better than the Fender Mustangs, I comtemplated a Mustang once but upon demoing it I found it to be really bland, I ended up waiting until tax time and going for a tube head. The Peavey Vipers sound pretty good as far as budget modellers go.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 5, 2017,
Based on what I've heard listening to side-by-side demos, I have to agree that the Peavey VIP Vyper series is superior to the Fender Mustang series for overall sound and versatility. Granted, no modeling amp is as good as any of the amps it models. But they're usually close enough for rock and roll. And sometimes the quantity of different emulated sounds has a quality all it's own. 
I have a Fender Mustang I. Granted, I changed the speaker which gave it a bit more personality. I also have a Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 and in hindsight I probably should have gotten a VIP 1 instead of the Mustang. 
Amp choice is pretty dependent on the music you want to make, and you have not said so we are fumbling in the dark.  A metal maniac will choose a very different rig from a classic rocker, bluegrass picker, or jazzer.  Who are your favorite guitar influences and is this for home use or possible jams and gigs? 
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I had a Gio, upgraded, then got a new amp, then realized, I could have maybe just got a new amp. Love my NG, but the amp I got is the quarterback of the team. Now I'm stuck wondering what the GIO could have potentially been.

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with the Gio.
Flying in a blue dream
Last edited by SanDune65 at Apr 10, 2017,