Page 1 of 2
I have a Stratocaster with a maple neck and single coil pickups. I am thinking of getting a Stratocaster with a rosewood fretboard, aw HSS in the bridge, and single coil pickups. I never played one. Is it even worth it? 
It is a question of personal preferences, but I would have a lot more use for a (suitable!) bridge humbucker than a single. There is the option of replacing the bridge SC with an SC-sized humbucker, but I don't know much about them.
Last edited by Tony Done at Mar 26, 2017,
Like TD says, it's a personal preference thing.

I really like the HSS pickup array, and only have one guitar that is SSS. And when I look at my G.A.S. and "Watched" lists, there aren't many SSS guitars there, either.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It doesn't really matter since they make really high output singlecoil sized humbuckers.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
SSS Strats certainly tick a lot of boxes.  HSS Strats tick a few different boxes that suit different needs.  I enjoy both but currently my HSS Strat is #1.  It is a good fit for the set list I am working right now.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have a HSS strat. I bought it when I was younger and regret it I wish I had bought a SSS strat. Also, I like maple strats. For a humbucker sound I would get something like a Gibson. I have a ESP Explorer. But I prefer the start. I am conteplating between buying a new SSS strat or modify mine into a SSS.
Quote by NostraHistoria
Is it even worth it? 

a lot of people would say yes as the strat single coil bridge pick up is about 98% useless on it's own.

whoever prefers the strat single coil bridge over anything else needs to play a tuba or something. no offense tubadude

there are plenty of other types of bridge pups made to fit in a strat single coil routed body. i use a JBJR for a bucker tone in one strat and a Twangbanger for a tele bridge tone in another strat. both were improvements over the stock bridge offerings in most strats with singles. it's just an anemic tone.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 27, 2017,
Quote by gregs1020
a lot of people would say yes as the strat single coil bridge pick up is about 98% useless on it's own.  

whoever prefers the strat single coil bridge over anything else needs to play a tuba or something. no offense tubadude

there are plenty of other types of bridge pups made to fit in a strat single coil routed body.  i use a JBJR for a bucker tone in one strat and a Twangbanger for a tele bridge tone in another strat.  both were improvements over the stock bridge offerings in most strats with singles.  it's just an anemic tone.  

ummmmm....... i often use my single coil bridge pup on my strats. so did Jimi Hendrix and some guy named Ritchie Blackmore. tuba my ass. all in how you have your amp and overdrive set. granted the strat single coil bridge pup isn't good for everything but i guess if your not man enough to use one then you should play tuba (a bass instrument) 

OP HSS certainly has a wide variety of uses and if you prefer a rosewood board to a maple then go for it. the bridge position will certainly sound different (and the 2 position won't sound quite the same either.) HSS is often recommended to those looking for maximum versatility with a strat. 
It really depends on whether:

- you like both humbuckers and single coils in the bridge of a strat (if you don't like both there's not much point in having both)

- if the answer is yes to the above, that you actually like the sound of a humbucker in a strat. if you're prefer the sound of a humbucker in, say, a Gibson-style guitar, that might be a better option if you know you're going to go with two guitars.

- unless you need both strat tones and humbucker tones in the one guitar, in which case an HSS strat can be a very good idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020

there are plenty of other types of bridge pups made to fit in a strat single coil routed body.  i use a JBJR for a bucker tone in one strat and a Twangbanger for a tele bridge tone in another strat.  both were improvements over the stock bridge offerings in most strats with singles.  it's just an anemic tone.  

Ya all those hacks like Jimi, SRV, Richie Blackmore, Clapton, David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Jeff beck, Adrian Belew, Dick Dale, Mark Knopfler, John Mayer, and many others.  If only they were as enlightened as gregs1020 they could have solved that anemic bridge PU problem and really be somebody.   

Some of these dudes actually made fine recordings and a lot of $$ with those SC bridge PUs.  Maybe they knew something about great guitar tone after all.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 27, 2017,
Quote by monwobobbo
ummmmm....... i often use my single coil bridge pup on my strats. so did Jimi Hendrix and some guy named Ritchie Blackmore. tuba my ass. all in how you have your amp and overdrive set. granted the strat single coil bridge pup isn't good for everything but i guess if your not man enough to use one then you should play tuba (a bass instrument) 

hendrix lived on the neck and/or middle, who you crapping?
blackmore, doesn't matter his tone sucks.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Ya all those hacks like Jimi, SRV, Richie Blackmore, Clapton, David Gilmour, Rory Gallagher, Jeff beck, Adrian Belew, Dick Dale, Mark Knopfler, John Mayer, and many others.  If only they were as enlightened as gregs1020 they could have solved that anemic bridge PU problem and really be somebody.   

tho to be fair, we're speaking of only the bridge single, by itself. not all strat players.

you're welcome for the enlightenment.

come on, are you guys really defending the anemic tone of the strat bridge pick up? have you ever seen anyone, ever, modify a guitar to put a strat bridge pick up in any other guitar? ever?

be serious please. this is serious internet stuff here.
Quote by gregs1020
hendrix lived on the neck and/or middle, who you crapping?  
blackmore, doesn't matter his tone sucks.  

tho to be fair, we're speaking of only the bridge single, by itself.  not all strat players.

you're welcome for the enlightenment.  

come on, are you guys really defending the anemic tone of the strat bridge pick up?  have you ever seen anyone, ever, modify a guitar to put a strat bridge pick up in any other guitar?  ever?  

be serious please.  this is serious internet stuff here.  

better check again skippy Hendrix used his bridge pickup with the wah more often than not. Blackmore's tone sucks ??? better make an appointment to get your ears checked. 

of course you don't put a strat pickup into just any old guitar. why degrade the pickup by doing that  
OMG...I don't know whether to post a "Them's fightin' words!", "Can't we all just get along?" or a lolcats meme!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

so given the choice, he chucked it.

like you should, imagine how good your tone could be with a Twangbanger!

seriously, you'll love it.
Quote by gregs1020
so given the choice, he chucked it.  

like you should, imagine how good your tone could be with a Twangbanger!

seriously, you'll love it.

how do you know i don't  . have Lace Sensors in my Strat + and not sure what is in my 95 MIM but they aren't stock. everyone seems to think that everyone has some 50s vintage style pickups and that is all that comes in strats. actually the stock pups in a MIM work pretty well with distortion and are higher output that the 50s stuff. 70s strat pickups were also higher output for that matter.  check out Gary Moore's fantastic strat tone on his "metal " era tunes. his version of Shapes of Things on the We Want More album just kills and that was a stock early 60s strat. oh and he clearly uses the bridge for that on most of the time to. 
Screw the Twangbanger, I'd go full on Rio Grande Dirty Harry singlecoil...

...and then someone invented the turbodiesel singlecoil...

gregs1020 The players I listed all chose single coil bridge PUs.  Plenty of other HSS players out there.  

There are no anemic Strat PUs, only anemic Strat players.  If the shoe fits...   

tell me more about gary moore and strats. i've been re-learning red house because of him.

monwobobbo
Quote by Cajundaddy
gregs1020 There are no anemic Strat PUs, only anemic Strat players.  If the shoe fits...   

shouldn't you be wrestling a gator or something? shoo. grown ups are talking.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 27, 2017,
Quote by gregs1020

tell me more about gary moore and strats. i've been re-learning red house because of him.

Sing it with a Scots accent!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Screw the Twangbanger, I'd go full on Rio Grande Dirty Harry singlecoil...

every played a twangbanger? it doesn't suck.
Didn't say it did.

didn't say you did. asked if you had.
Quote by gregs1020

tell me more about gary moore and strats.    i've been re-learning red house because of him.  

monwobobbo

shouldn't you be wrestling a gator or something?  shoo.  grown ups are talking.

well if you like that then try Cold Hearted from the Corridor Of Power album.  ass kicking blues song that is a benchmark tone for my strats. his version of Red House is awesome. if you don't have his Hendrix tribute album then by all means get it it's awesome. 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sing it with a Scots accent!

umm... Gary was Irish. 
I know, but the song will sound a bunch funnier with a terrible Scots accent. Trust me!

Northern Irish, surely?

Maybe it's just my ear because I'm from here but he barely sounded Northern Irish at all (not that I've heard him speak all that much, just from the odd guitar magazine video I mean). He sounded more or less English to me.

Granted someone from England may well say he didn't sound English at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My main guitar is an HSS Strat and both my other gigging guitars are SSS. Granted, the humbucker in my main guitar is the single-space JB. Jr., so I think it retains a little more "Stratty" character than a full sized HB, which is actually what I was going for. 

The primary difference is going to be that an HSS will obviously give you more girth and sustain in position one, though I believe you sacrifice something in position two with a full humbucker, so if that's an issue you might look for a single spaced humbucker instead of a full sized.

It's also worth noting that some humbuckers match better with singles in an HSS configuration than others and you should expect some adjustment to be needed in every case. For instance if you have vintage output single coils, dropping in an excessively hot humbucker in the bridge will lead to a noticeable difference in volume between pickups. Even with a less extreme combination you will still very likely need to adjust your pickup heights - especially with the bridge HB, to get as close as possible to a perfect balance across the selector. In my case I'm matching the JB Jr. with Texas Specials, which isn't quite the gap as I mentioned in my example, but there was still an obvious imbalance in the volumes prior to adjusting things into place.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Northern Irish, surely?

Maybe it's just my ear because I'm from here but he barely sounded Northern Irish at all (not that I've heard him speak all that much, just from the odd guitar magazine video I mean). He sounded more or less English to me.

Born in Belfast but moved to Dublin when he was 16 to seek his fortune.  He cut his teeth with Thin Lizzy in 1974.  At some point he moved to Sussex and lived there for many years.  An epic player and one of my primary influences.  A lot of great guitarists hail from that soggy island in the north atlantic.  Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher, Van Morrison, Phil Lynott, Darryl Higham to name just a few.

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 28, 2017,
Yeah. I mean I'd have thought your accent would be done by 16, but then again that probably is young enough for wandering accent syndrome (especially if you move to somewhere whose accent isn't a million miles away from your own).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
We have folks born and raised in Boston but moved to LA 20 years ago.  All of the Boston twang accent is gone unless they are very tired or drunk.  Then the Boston twang squirts back out.  

^ But are they deliberately hiding it or is it natural? That's the big question.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc Most say their accent gradually fades over time when you are not around it every day.  We are a region of immigrants from all over and the ones who still have strong accents from Chicago, Brooklyn, Dallas, or Boston say they consciously hang onto them.

Yeah but again that's people who don't have the accent saying it goes naturally. If they're deliberately hiding it or trying to be less obtrusive with it, obviously they're going to claim it went naturally rather than they deliberately are hiding it, since I guess they find that easier.

I know some of my sister's friends claimed they'd lost their accent after being away for like one semester.

My sister claimed BS, since she was also away for the same semester and hadn't lost hers, and while she hadn't been deliberately trying to lose hers, she hadn't been deliberately trying to keep it either.

Also, those American accents are probably closer to each other than the accents I'm talking about. For example, when I was in university in Belfast I could find my accent wandering slightly towards Belfast... but the Belfast accent is very close to mine, just it goes up a bit at the end of the sentence in pitch.

But the English accent, for example, is very different and I can't see how my accent would really go towards that. Especially the kind of non-rhotic accent you have in Sussex.

Even Dublin is different enough that I doubt that would really happen.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 29, 2017,
My dad was in the military, so we moved around a lot. Originally from New Orlewns, we've lived in 4 different states and Germany since we left. When we moved away from NOLA, I was 4. My parents and I have lived in the Dallas area since 1982

My accent has been hammered out of me, and my parents have little trace of the city's unique artifacts of speech. But every once in a while, if they're tired or under stress, you can hear it trying to reassert itself...

yeah but again that was when you were young, right? and also as i said, i'm not convinced the USA accents are as different as some of the other accents. I mean, the irish, scottish and welsh accents are effectively foreign language/non-native speaker accents, at least originally they were.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This thread is a mess

Bridge humbucker is useful if you want to play heavier stuff, all the non-heavy humbucker tones I'd go for are in the neck (and I value neck singlecoils) so I wouldn't go for it myself but ultimately it's an individual thing. Remember that as mediocre as the Strat singlecoil bridge may be considered, the mid+bridge position on the pickup selector is great But if you're planning on playing metal you may well regret not getting a humbucker.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Nah, listening to him speak traces of not-English are pretty hard to pin down, I agree.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Page 1 of 2