Hey folks, I'm having a problem related to a guitar I just bought. As can be seen in the attached picture, when I plug into the pickup the tip of the plug goes too far in, touching the resonator cone and (because the guitar is all metal) creates a short between the "hot" tip of the plug and the rest of the guitar (which is connected to ground) and therefore doesn't work. If the head is not plugged in all the way it does work though.

I emailed the manufacturer and they came back with this response: 
"i think you can change other cable to try instead.because for other customers who got electric resonator guitars. all are ok indeed.  about guitar cable we put . in fact, this is for acoustic models. we just add for you as free . you can try with short head cable instead."  
First of all no cable came with the guitar so I don't know what they're talking about, and secondly I've never heard of cable having a shorter head. Does anyone know if such cables exist? Let me know if you have any ideas on how to solve the problem.

Potential solutions:
-Put a small piece of electrical tape on the resonator cone. I don't really want to do this because it may reduce the resonance
-Extend the hole a little bit my adding a piece of plastic or something such that the plug doesn't slide in all the way
-Install an angled pickup hole. This would be a nice solution except it won't be an easy task, the guitar is made of solid chrome/brass
Attachments:
IMAG1732.pdf
Last edited by josh.jjdg at Mar 27, 2017,
josh.jjdg I am not sure I am understanding your issue properly, even with the picture. I think what your issue is, is that the input jack clip is just too loose and allowing the cable to slide in farther than it should.

https://www.allparts.com/assets/images/p/EP-0055-002-web.jpg

The long piece that bends inwards is what touches the tip of the cable. I think the whole piece is bent too far outwards, allowing the cable to contact something it shouldn't. Bend the whole piece inwards so that it makes a stronger, more restrictive hold on the tip of the cable. However, the cable should stop in the jack naturally as the housing of the cable plug should be larger than the input jack's hole. So I am not confident. Either way, it is not a risky fix to try it.

I have never heard of a "short head" cable as far as 1/4 or Phone plugs go. Methinks your Customer Service rep does not know what he is talking about. Maybe he was referring to some cable designs with slightly different tip contours, but I do not think that is your solution.
Last edited by Will Lane at Mar 27, 2017,
Will Lane

Thanks for the advice Will. I opened it up and found that there was a spacer on the inside of the jack female part which brought the end of the assembly too close to the resonator cone. After removing this spacer the hole was "lifted" out enough that the male part didn't go as far in so the problem was solved.
The only drawback was that the input hole sticks out a bit from the body, whereas before it was flush
Quote by josh.jjdg
Will Lane

Thanks for the advice Will. I opened it up and found that there was a spacer on the inside of the jack female part which brought the end of the assembly too close to the resonator cone. After removing this spacer the hole was "lifted" out enough that the male part didn't go as far in so the problem was solved.
The only drawback was that the input hole sticks out a bit from the body, whereas before it was flush
Glad it is fixed. Depending upon the guitar, the jacks may stick out a bit, so that is normal.
Sounds like the manufacturer support can barely write in English.

I am not sure exactly what the problem was but I am willing to bet that it is a low budget input female jack, one of the Chinese cheapies that are under a dollar.
There are angled jacks that sometimes come up a little shorter or you put a few rubber washers on one jack towards the housing end but that could backfire when you're at a gig and need to swap cables on the fly, so best would be to replace the input jack or stay with your current solution as long as it doesn't annoy you.