So I should be getting my second amp soon. The first one I have is a low quality practise amp (sp10) that has not even got gain options for it, just an overdrive switch. The main 3 I have been looking at are the micro dark (not sure which cab but I've heard it has to be at least 12"), a thr10x (it's cheap and does metal which is 90% of what I play, connects to pc, but can't take pedals), and a fender bassbreaker 15 (heard it is good for metal and load enough for at least small venues). I've heard good and bad about all of them and don't have any big music shops near so it is hard for me to test them. I generally want one that has reasonable nice cleans, good distortion tones for both modern and old school metal, able to put pedals through it, loud enough for small gigs/band practise but able to be quiet enough for home use.
95% Guitar player. 5% Piano player
Playing guitar 1 year
Grade 3/8 - Aiming for grade 6 by next August
Metal, Prog, Jazz, and Math Rock.

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320 - Drop C -Black,
Jackson Misha HT7 - Standard - also Black,

Amp:
Ironheart IRT Studio 15w Head (I like black),
Ironheart 2x12 Cab (once you go black).
Check out the Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio - 3 channels, mostly tube (3x 12AX7 and 2x EL84), USB/DI connectivity.  Pair it up with a good cab and you should be set.  15W and <1W modes.  The onboard speaker emulation leaves a little to be desired but it's great otherwise!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I wouldn't go with either of them. Out of the three it will be the Yamaha amp, but you can't really gig with it.

Look up the real Dark Terror or Tiny Terror, even used...

The Laney suggestion ^ is good as well.

Other things to try: Tech21 TM30 or TM60, analog signal path, no tubes, great sound. Might be a little light voiced for ultra high gain metal but takes pedals well and can do a huge range of tones with no fuss.
What's your budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Laney, Dark Terror, Jet City.

These are all quality amps suitable for gigging your music.  No experience with the Bassbreaker.  Whether you choose combo or separate speaker/amp is mostly a fashion statement these days.  All of them sound good and get loud.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
dannyalcatraz I'm looking at around the £500 mark
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Cajundaddy Right, thanks
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Quote by birkettlewis
I generally want one that has reasonable nice cleans, good distortion tones for both modern and old school metal, able to put pedals through it, loud enough for small gigs/band practise but able to be quiet enough for home use.

Quote by birkettlewis
dannyalcatraz I'm looking at around the £500 mark

Quilter makes impressive solid state, non-modeling amps that take pedals well. This lets them cover a lot of tonal territory. The smallest one is a 45w guitar pedal-sized mini amp (introduced NAMM 2017) up to 100w+ heads & combos. All are lightweight. Prices start at $149 ad go past $1000.

Here are some videos showing some of the more aggressive tones they can produce, with & without pedals:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

since you're in the UK, jet cities are really good value (e.g. on thomann) if you're ok with going tube. and if you're ok with a middling clean channel (actually more of a crunch channel since it's basically the lead channel with one gain stage removed).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Gosss volume is just a concern I am running a small 8" speaker combo now and it is so loud that I only play it volume 0.5-1/10. Anything above is way too loud it hurts my ears and so distorted you can't tell what is going on
Playing guitar 1 year

Guitars:

Amp:
Actually, with a bit more power- and a better speaker- that low-volume distortion should clear up.

...which may be hurting your ears more than the volume, TBH.